Which version of the Superman Theme do You like ?

jerrygollay

Many conductors did record Superman Theme , of course Williams did at least twice ( Pops in Space , and anthology Sony Classical ) I like the Roy Budd version and the Ettore Stratta with LSO...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino set Disc 1 Track 1 is my definitive favourite. John Williams conducting Boston Pops on By Request album comes pretty close.

Disc 1, Track 1 in the Rhino CD is the best as far as I'm concerned. Not just because it's the film version, it just seems to have more energy than any others I've heard.

I don't listen to the alternates that much, actually, but I love the version that opens disc 2 on the Rhino set. Brass love theme yeah!

Aye. Too bad about the really crappy audio quality tho...:rolleyes:

Even if I don't find it to be the best one, I have a special apreciation by the one with the LSO under Stanley Black.

Yes, I forgot this compilation was so good, particulary the Bond medley !!!!

I actually like the Ottman version on the complete (not the official) Superman Return's soundtrack. The mix there is better, and it's the no BS version of the theme.

As long as it's not the version on "The Science Fiction Album," I'm okay with it. How the Prague Philharmonic continues to profit from selling CDs is beyond me. Horrid. :blink:

I've been trying to get my hands on the Rhino set for a while, so the only version of the theme I've heard extensively is from that old "Star Tracks" album. Not at all a bad recording by the Cincinnati Pops, especially when that horn rendition of the love theme comes in with such noble strength.

plus something about the way that first score was recorded, lots of compression to give the orchestra an unusually mid- and bass-heavy sound.

ah yes..something i love too...they sound almost...angry. :blink:

I think the "Prelude and Main Title March" from the Rhino disc 1 is the best version of the theme : just before the theme is revealed, there is an extra "su-per-man triplet" that just adds something to the Warner Bros. version.

• 1 year later...
Track 1, Disc 1 on the Rhino set.

perfection

perfection

but its edited...and I dont know the story, but Williams may have nothing to do with the editing...

Doesnt really matter, as its the version most people are most familiar with.

I always liked the concert arrangement after the film came out. So, any of the Boston Pops recordings conducted by Williams will do for me. I always liked the cymbals a bit after the love theme, which was missing in the OST. For my favorite mixing, Ottman's Superman Returns Main Titles is pleasant enough.

i'm sorry but i have been trained here to dislike edits of film music as to the point of cannot diggest that perfection is something williams was not even involved.

i think that again, nostalgia is playing a big part here, like the edited version of Desert chase.

no luke its the version played in the film and its perfect, since non of the arrangements are brand new your use of Nostalgia is just meaningless.

as for your training if you can look beyond it you've been trained poorly.

no luke its the version played in the film and its perfect, since non of the arrangements are brand new your use of Nostalgia is just meaningless.

as for your training if you can look beyond it you've been trained poorly.

Gotta agree with this.

The edited version may just be more musically pleasing to some people. In this case it has absolutely nothing to do with the edits, becuase we've all been able to hear the "original" recording from the beggining anyway, we just thought it was for the end credits! If people found that to be the better version of the theme then they would have said so. It's not like we don't see the distinction between them.

That being said, I too prefer the "edited" version. I think it's more energetic.

I like the added symbals at 3:18 - 3:23 of the By Request version.

I like the cool build up starting at 1:14 on the Rhino Prelude/Main Title March.

the version played (and heard) in the film has a tinkered tempo. IS that perfection too?

Luke its perfection, absolute, unmitigated perfection, I even listened to it last night to be sure. I died and went to heaven while it played.

Manuel the common everyday listener isn't going to know or care about perfect pitch, tempo, edits or any of that other stuff.

It sounds just fine.

Manuel the common everyday listener isn't going to know or care about perfect pitch, tempo, edits or any of that other stuff.

It sounds just fine.

the 'effing' Ultimate edition of the phantom menace is not noticed by the common listener

Many people like the Battle of naboo as it is in the movie.

IS THAT PERFECTION?

We know it is NOT.

Well, I watched the "Score Restore" of the main title on FSM Online, and the original version is certainly superior to the film edit. The difference on CD is pretty negligible, though, as the pitch alteration and the film's cuts to the music aren't included. It's the exact same piece*, just a different take.

* "Main Title" has a final crescendo that "End Title" does not, meant to sync with the "A Richard Donner Film" credit.

Even if I don't find it to be the best one, I have a special apreciation by the one with the LSO under Stanley Black.

Miguel - not come across this one....what album is this?

Greg

Same here. It's probably the most uplifting andf heroic piece of music I've ever heard in my life. :D