So what's Spider-Man 3 gonna be like?

I saw it Tuesday. I didn't pay much attention to the music, the only thing I noticed was during the end credits a lot of songs were credited. Almost every time the name of 'John Debney' was credited.

The movie itself was entertaining. Lots of action, humor, lots of clichés, bit of romance, bit of drama... Nothing special, just a cool summer movie like it should be.

One annoying thing was all the american pattriotism... It was too much.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was gonna post this last night, but the site was down. So here's what I initially wrote:

Just got back from the movie. (I won preview tickets on the radio.) Certainly not as good as the second film, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Regarding the music... first off, I don't own either of Elfman's scores; I've just enjoyed the music in the films. So, in this film, I frankly was not aware of any tracking. I just thought it was a lot of reuse of Elfman's themes. Regarding Young's stuff... well, it felt out of place during the main titles. But other places, I thought it worked fairly well. And at times, it felt bland, but at other times I thought it was pretty good. There's one cue in particular that I honestly thought to myself would sound great on the album, but it felt a little odd in the scene. Still, I thought Young's themes were decent, although certainly not of Elfman quality.

Overall, it was sufficient, but not necessarily great. Certainly no Ottman-esque mockery of the original composer's work.

Having let it soak in for a day, I have to say that my opinion of the film has dropped a little, and I do hope that's not just from reading negative reviews. But there is one action sequence which doesn't really work, and in several ways. And as the above poster said, there were many clichés; much of the dialogue trite, and I thought the writing was quite a step down from the last film.

...One annoying thing was all the american pattriotism... It was too much.

Well, I see you're not from America, so I guess that's understandable. I assume that one shot in particular is what you're talking about. Me, I thought it was great, and it made me smile and think to myself, "Suck on that, Bryan Singer!"

They're not the best ever, but I think they are fun. I enjoyed this most recent one, I think my opinon of it is actually greater than it should be becuase I walked into the film with low expectations and ended up getting blown away. A lot of the complaints I feel are unfounded and are just coming from people looking for flaws in the film. I don't do that. I go to a movie to enjoy it, not to pick out every little detail that irked me.

I don't understand why no one realizes how bad these movies are.

For once, we agree, though I have not seen the new one, nor do I plan on it. The first two horrible movies were enough.

Neil

Score wise I was never to big on the Spiderman flims and I didn't really follow who was doing what movie so I was kinda shocked seeing Young in the opening credits because I still thought Elfman was working with Spidey (yes I am a bit on the slow side). All and all the music was not THAT bad but it was eh. Movie wise it did not live up to the "OMG ITS SPIDEY 3!!!!!1111" standards but was good.

For once, we agree, though I have not seen the new one, nor do I plan on it. The first two horrible movies were enough.

Neil

Anyone with a sig from Flash Gordon should not be taken seriously when reviewing movies!

Oh wait, Neil, it's you???

I noticed a lot of musical issues - Elfman's love theme rearranged and the main title music tracked a fair bit, but I also noticed a lot of new, good Young stuff.

Music aside, I thought it was substantially flawed in several areas but still by far the most entertaining movie so far. Parts of it had the whole cinema laughing (for good reasons - except the american flag bit). Plus, This is also the first time I was genuinely impressed by the SFX, especially sandman.

I watched it last night. It was good, but sadly not the best of the three. One complaint I have about it is that it has a much less distinct personality than the others (which was the strongest saving grace for the second one). Still, it relies heavily on the second one's formula (we even get a Happy Montage in reverse!) which makes all less exciting, but with a familiar feel.

My biggest complaint is that this movie should have been the darkest of the three, but actually all it does is take itself more seriously than any other of the three. Although the camp nods were very nice (the anthem-like version of the Spider-Man TV show theme must be a very popular favorite).

I didn't like how the black goo was introduced into the story - I thought the astronaut plot in the second one was setting that up, but it turns out... it just randomly shoots from the sky. Ah, well. A movie that's all about cause-effect/forgiveness shouldn't drag main arcs from previous movies, I guess. I didn't like how the Harry Osborn plot was dealt with, it was goofy. Why the memory loss? To keep him busy while the rest of the cast moved the stories along? Speaking of the stories, with so many plots going on the biggest victims were the Howard daughter and the Sandman. And the Anakin Skywalker-lookalike made for a poor Venom, even if the effects for it were awesome.

Oh, the action is hit and miss: there are great, edge-of-your-seat action scenes, and then there are a couple of blah ones. I wished Aunt May had gotten more screentime. Oh, and kudos to Dallas Howard to making Kirsten Dunst look not only more sympathetic in comparison, but actually beautiful this time.

I didn't like how the Harry Osborn plot was dealt with, it was goofy. Why the memory loss? To keep him busy while the rest of the cast moved the stories along?

A flaw in that storyline was pointed out to me on IMDB. Firstly, would a loss of short-term memory really have made him forget everything about his father's death? And with the butler's revelation, was that not something he could have revealed like... a movie ago? But then we don't get the whole Harry vs Spiderman subplot.

I also felt some of the editing between storylines was a little rushed, and that the **focus on angry/sad/ character's face, zoom in and cut to more serene setting somewhere else as the music reaches a scary crescendo** technique was overused. It was kind of like watching TTT or RotK sped up.

I still really like it and will probably get the DVD; just has clearer flaws to me than many movies.

The first two are pretty entertaining, but nothing great. The parts I find almost unwatchable are anything to do with Peter Parker's lusting after that wench Mary Jane. I can't stand her shallow and materialistic character, she's just not right for Peter, but if they do finally end up together happily ever after, they're as bad as each other.

Oh, I haven't seen the third one, but Gwen Stacy is hot. And Betty Brant is smokin'!

From what I've heard, the movie takes a huge dump all over the Venom character. It seems that they messed up Sandman as well.

Just saw the movie, it's a good entertainment for 2 hours, but nothing special. The music however, I wasn't bothered by, I was afraid it'd be a Zimmer sound to it, instead I got a Sandman theme that seems to be pretty inspired by Ravel's orchestration of "Baba Yaga's Hut" from Pictures at an Exhibition and nicely worked out harmonics overall. Anyway, as I said, it's good for 2 hours of entertainment.

Everyone complaining about Venom not getting enough screen time/attention should have realised, even before the movie was released, that he (or they?) is simply in there to represent the evil side of Peter Parker, that manifests itself in Venom, and that he ultimately has to face, and therefor the birth of Venom belongs to the climax of the film, and wouldn't have worked earlier on.

Venom isn't dominant in the storyline because he never was meant to be like that. Fans *wanted* him to be at the center of the story, and that's why many are dissapointed.

By the way, some international versions of the film, including the German one, don't have Christopher Young's music in the end credits, but instead the trash from the album.

What a shame that movie pirates don't find it necessary to record the end credits ...

I don't understand why no one realizes how bad these movies are.

Neil

No now we agree on mac vs PCs. Yes I am now using a mac, a macbook pro to be exact. Anyways I feel as if these movies are almost unwatchable. Maybe not almost.

Warning: music spoilers ahead.

The movie was laughable, but I don't regret seeing it. It was at least entertaining, though there were many moments that had my girlfriend and me cringing. I have to ask...how many times can one character die in a movie? Music-wise, I was neither hugely impressed nor enormously disappointed. Elfman's theme for the Goblin is used very frequently, though the notes have been fudged a little to make it sound slightly more demented. Venom has a new theme, and not a particularly original or interesting one, IMO. I believe there was also music for the Sandman, but I could be wrong about that. Spidey's theme comes into play quite frequently, as does the "Peter-and-MJ" love theme from the first two...over and over and over again. I didn't hear much else besides all these elements. And all this comes after the opening titles, which feature by far the worst version of Elfman's original titles so far.

One scene that I really did enjoy was the scene in which the Sandman formed his body for the first time. The falling apart and his initial inability to grasp his daughter's necklace actually elicited and emotional response from me. This was one scene in which the special effects were pretty good, although nowhere near Davy Jones quality.

By the way...I like the first Spidey. :)

SPOILERS AHEAD....

I am a Spidey fan and a fan of the first 2 movies because of how they seemingly followed what I saw growing up watching the tv show in the '90s. But with this film, I compare it to Batman Forever more than anything. The story itself wasn't exactly strong, and the multiple story-lines all flowing into each other just crowded the movie too much. I love the disco "evil montage" of Peter, as I can completely imagine a geek like Peter believing that was the cool way to act.

The CGI itself was really good in some sequences, but overall, the lost of John Dykstra as Special Effects Coordinator is noticably missed. The Harry v. Peter Part I was full of really bad CG that I can only hope will look better on the tv screen. Sandman's effects were really well done, and the sequence with him trying to form his body is easily one of the best in the film.

As for the music, I was going crazy at the amount of tracking. The main titles are horrible because they basically take Spidey 2's titles, cut out Elfman's Doc Ock theme, and replace it with Young Symbiote theme. While Young's themes aren't terrible (especially Sandman's theme which I really like) I would have liked them to get someone whose style is more like Elfman's. Its very noticable when you here Elfman music and when you hear Young's.

A lot of people are complaining about American patriotism. I feel it was much more present in the first too then in this film, as all he does is run by a flag jumping by buildings. The thing I found worse was the fact that everyone seemingly loved Spider-Man (except JJ) and it was something I would expect in a Superman film more than anything. Of course, Raimi had already established a pattern of copying the Superman formula in the first 2 films, and continues in suit in this film. Evil Superman in the third film and evil Spidey in this film. I actually liked the way that Venom was handled, but I am in the less is more group.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the ending, as Spidey is supposed to end the film swinging between buildings, not dancing with Mary Jane. To me, it would be ending the movie without Superman flying into space and winking at the camera.

If you were too old to grow up with the tv show in the '90s or didn't like the first 2 movies, you won't like this film. Since today Sony announced that there will be at least 3 more Spidey films, let's just hope the next one (whether with Raimi and McGuire or not) is better and doesn't continue down the same path as this one.

A lot of people are complaining about American patriotism. I feel it was much more present in the first too then in this film, as all he does is run by a flag jumping by buildings.

I agree. Patriotism was more cringe-worthy in the first film. It felt forced in the second one. Here, it seemed more like a nod.

The thing I found worse was the fact that everyone seemingly loved Spider-Man (except JJ) and it was something I would expect in a Superman film more than anything.

And I agree again. Raimi himself said in 2002 that he liked the character of Spider-Man because nobody clapped when he was being heroic ("unlike Superman," he added). And that was the most interesting aspect of the previous movies. This one went too far with the deification of Spider-Man (and Peter Parker's ego, to Mary Jane's dismay). The Spidey kiss when he's handed the Key to the City was awful. And the most ridiculous of all - Peter Parker goes loco in an evil spree, and the only evidence Topher Grace can get of him being the evil "masked menace" Johnson wants him to be is... conveniently photoshopped? Way to ignore an aspect that could make the movie more interesting.

I did love the evil Peter/evil Harry fist fight. And the music there was cool, too. I generally loved most of the evil Peter stuff but it was too short.

As for the music, I was going crazy at the amount of tracking. The main titles are horrible because they basically take Spidey 2's titles, cut out Elfman's Doc Ock theme, and replace it with Young Symbiote theme. While Young's themes aren't terrible (especially Sandman's theme which I really like) I would have liked them to get someone whose style is more like Elfman's. Its very noticable when you here Elfman music and when you hear Young's.

I would hardly blame Young for that. I'd blame the film makers for not being able to a new composer impress his own musical vision and voice on the film.

Wether you are a fan of Elfman's Spider-Man music or not, it can hardly be called iconic, like Williams Superman music, or The James Bond theme, or the star Trek fanfare.

Yes, about those main titles. I think I'm asking this for the second time now, but did anyone else think there was something wrong with the recording quality of the Elfman title music? It sounded so ... I don't know, dull, like someone covered the speakers with their hands.

I would hardly blame Young for that. I'd blame the film makers for not being able to a new composer impress his own musical vision and voice on the film.

Wether you are a fan of Elfman's Spider-Man music or not, it can hardly be called iconic, like Williams Superman music, or The James Bond theme, or the star Trek fanfare.

I agree. I really liked Young's music, especially the Symbiote theme, the second fight between Harry and Peter, and Sandman's theme. It's not Young's fault, but they should have had someone else on board to redo the Elfman tracks they wanted, as I just couldn't stand the constant reuse of the same couple of tracks. It worked for Batman Begins, I don't know why they couldn't get someone like Debney to co-write the score with Young.

Yes, about those main titles. I think I'm asking this for the second time now, but did anyone else think there was something wrong with the recording quality of the Elfman title music? It sounded so ... I don't know, dull, like someone covered the speakers with their hands.

Yes I agree that it sounded dull; the Elfman parts were clearly not as vibrant as I would have hoped, but my theater never has their sound system working right, as its always too loud or too soft, never at the perfect level.

I just saw it. I have some positive and negative feelings about it.

First off, I thought it was too rushed. They tried to fit too many things into one movie and it made it feel kind of like a long flashback rather than a currently happening event.

Secondly, the temp tracking was REALLY annoying. There was one part in particular (right as spiderman first lands on the taxi near the end) that sounded horrible, as they just cut off the main theme halfway though a note.

Other than those two objections, however, the overall story was really good. Besides the rushed feel, they were able to pull off the plot pretty well.

Also, the new music (what very little of it there was) was pretty good.

And I love how all the spiderman movies keep reinforcing good morals. Particularly forgiveness, and doing the right thing no matter what it costs. There's so much garbage and negative messages being put forth in movies anymore that it's really refreshing to see something like that.

For those who are interested, the music for Peter's first fight with Harry is on Chris Young's official website. You can't download it, though.

For those who are interested, the music for Peter's first fight with Harry is on Chris Young's official website. You can't download it, though.

Just open it in IE and retrieve the mp3 from your temp files after it's done loading.

Worked for me.

Wrong. If you can hear it, you can download it. :music: If nothing else, just record it with Audacity.

Hey, cool...

:music: "Harry Attacks Peter"

Too bad this just brings back memories of the worst sequence in the film (IMO). Musically, I'd rather have the cue from their later fight.

Ozzel -- wondering if this will even get a score release

According to the guy who created the web page (he's apparently close to Young), a score release is in preparation.

PS: News from the suits:

---------

Sony's Lynton on More Spidey Movies

Source: BBC News May 7, 2007

Will the "Spider-Man" franchise become the next James Bond or Star Trek, two of the longest series of films in history? It might happen, as Sony Pictures chief executive Michael Lynton told BBC News that "everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on."

There would be "as many as we can make good stories for", he pledged. "Everybody's been so busy trying to get this one out that that's been the focus. When everybody comes up for air, we can think about how to make the next one."

---------

Yeah, they were busy trying to get this one out, that's obvious.

I sincerely hope that a Spider-Man 4, 5, and 6 are not made. I liked the first two, but honestly, it is time to move on.

how bout including a story next time that isn't boring as hell.

Think anyone would mind uploading it, as I never seem to be able to get it by looking in my temp folder.

That's the best cue, or at least it is the one that works best in the film.

After listening to it I don't know if I want to hear the rest of Young's score.

It's just a continuation of his "been there, heard it before" Spiderman 2 music.

Watched it last night. There's a lot of problems in the movie but I still enjoyed it, and big surprise for me, I enjoyed most of Young's work, especially when Sandman first pulls himself together.

Raimi directed at least two good movies in the past 6 years. That's as many as Lucas did in the last 30.

You should have mentioned the comment on Star Wars that followed.

"It's a silly, silly film."

"Of course people think Star Wars is silly, too. But it isn't."

That's the essence of GL. "I'm right, you're not."

Those are just idiotic comments, nothing more, nothing less.

gkgyver- who can't remember Lucas saying anything not-so-idiotic.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270874,00.html

Apparantly, George Lucas thinks it was a 'Silly, silly film'. (Scroll Down a bit)

Did you read the entire article, especially where it mentions that there are going to be 2 more Star Wars films? I wouldn't trust a single word in that article, especially as it hasn't been confirmed that Indy will have a son.

And can anyone upload that Young clip, as I've been having trouble getting it for some reason.

Raimi directed at least two good movies in the past 6 years. That's as many as Lucas did in the last 30.

I know of no good movies Raimi directed in the past 6 years. Last good movie he made was in 1998.

I know of no good movies Raimi directed in the past 6 years. Last good movie he made was in 1998.

Well, that is in your opinion. The majority of people (including myself) believe that Spider-Man 2 was a very good film. And the first one wasn't that bad, either. It all depends on your age I guess and where you grew up. I grew up watching the '90s show on tv and loving Spider-Man, so I of course loved the first two movies which I felt were not only well done, but stayed true to the comic character. The third film was just packed with so much stuff, I just can't bring myself to see it again until it comes to dvd.

Spider-Man 1 is on par with Batman in recreating the atmosphere of the comic books. Raimi also handled the transport into a new era exceptionally well, unlike Superman Returns for instance.

These films were made for those who read the original comics as a kid, but who are now many years older and demand some maturity in the story.

The third film suffered from the needless Sandman character and Peter's dance routines. Apart from that, the film is pretty good.

Well, that is in your opinion. The majority of people (including myself) believe that Spider-Man 2 was a very good film.

I don't think you are an authority on the majority of people. The majority of people I know (myself included) liked it the first time, but if they got to a second viewing, tought it was not a very good movie. If they thought about it at all.

The third film suffered from the needless Sandman character

I don't agree with this at all.

Well, that is in your opinion. The majority of people (including myself) believe that Spider-Man 2 was a very good film.

I don't think you are an authority on the majority of people. The majority of people I know (myself included) liked it the first time, but if they got to a second viewing, tought it was not a very good movie. If they thought about it at all.

I liked all the Spidey movies...

And that Lucas thing, I haven't read it but it reminds me of the script issues with Indy 4. Here we have Lucas calling SM:3 a 'silly film', and then he rejects Frank Darabont's script. This coming from the guy who wrote the prequels (the second of which, I will add, is one of the worst movies I've ever tried to watch)....;)

With all due respect, we haven't seen Darabont's script. And I think that Spielberg has been extremely light on the trigger with his scripts recently. His last 5 movies all had faulty scripts, his last two in particular (if you can call was David Koepp wrote for WoTW a script). I'm with GL on this one. He doesn't know how to write, but I think he can recognize good writing (he did with the previous Indy films).

Even though that was a pompous statement that Lucas made, its not entirely wrong.

I simply stated the word "majority" by using the box office totals of Spider-Man 2 and 3 as a sign that a majority of people in the world enjoy the Spidey films, and I wasn't necessarily talking about this board or your friends (which wouldn't really comprise a majority I think). I not trying to make trouble, just showing that just because you don't enjoy a film or think it is very good doesn't mean a lot of people feel differently.

I don't agree with this at all.

Well, I think on one hand, The Sandman isn't interesting enough to fill a whole movie, but on the other hand he's too good to make him a B- villain. But it doesn't matter which villain you add to Venom (I didn't mean to devalue the Sandman per se) because ANY villain at his side would be too much.

Sandman hurt Spidey 3 because the film doesn't need him.

I think there are few Spidey foes that warrant a 2 and a half hours movie anyway. I mean they are all great, but few have that strong connection with Peter Parker. Doc Ock, The Goblin (I & II), Venom, The Lizard and maybe Mysterio.

Personally, I'd love to see Kingpin in one of the next films.