So what's Spider-Man 3 gonna be like?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270874,00.html

Apparantly, George Lucas thinks it was a 'Silly, silly film'. (Scroll Down a bit)

Did you read the entire article, especially where it mentions that there are going to be 2 more Star Wars films? I wouldn't trust a single word in that article, especially as it hasn't been confirmed that Indy will have a son.

TheForce.net - 2, Hour Long Live Action Movies For TV?!?

That maybe explains what that was about.

Though I drool at the prospect of more Star Wars feature films. And it would mean more Williams' scores.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with this at all.

Well, I think on one hand, The Sandman isn't interesting enough to fill a whole movie, but on the other hand he's too good to make him a B- villain. But it doesn't matter which villain you add to Venom (I didn't mean to devalue the Sandman per se) because ANY villain at his side would be too much.

Sandman hurt Spidey 3 because the film doesn't need him.

I think there are few Spidey foes that warrant a 2 and a half hours movie anyway. I mean they are all great, but few have that strong connection with Peter Parker. Doc Ock, The Goblin (I & II), Venom, The Lizard and maybe Mysterio.

Personally, I'd love to see Kingpin in one of the next films.

Well, sorry to dissapoint but because he was in Daredevil, Kingpin cannot appear in Spidey. Its because Marvel sold the rights to their characters to many different studios, therefore making it impossible because Spidey is at Sony while Daredevil and Kingpin are at Fox.

You also will never be able to see Spidey and the X-Men or Fantastic 4 for the same reasons.

I simply stated the word "majority" by using the box office totals of Spider-Man 2 and 3 as a sign that a majority of people in the world enjoy the Spidey films, and I wasn't necessarily talking about this board or your friends (which wouldn't really comprise a majority I think). I not trying to make trouble, just showing that just because you don't enjoy a film or think it is very good doesn't mean a lot of people feel differently.

I was merely disagreeing with you that the films were good. You were the one who brought the majority into this. And by the looks of things, Spidy 3 is going to outgross the first two, and the buzz about it is lukewarm at best. BO is not everything.

You also will never be able to see Spidey and the X-Men or Fantastic 4 for the same reasons.

And we're all thankful for that.

I simply stated the word "majority" by using the box office totals of Spider-Man 2 and 3 as a sign that a majority of people in the world enjoy the Spidey films, and I wasn't necessarily talking about this board or your friends (which wouldn't really comprise a majority I think). I not trying to make trouble, just showing that just because you don't enjoy a film or think it is very good doesn't mean a lot of people feel differently.

I was merely disagreeing with you that the films were good. You were the one who brought the majority into this. And by the looks of things, Spidy 3 is going to outgross the first two, and the buzz about it is lukewarm at best. BO is not everything.

I don't think so, Morlock:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/cha...spidermanvs.htm

and it shouldn't outgross POTC either:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/cha...rmanpirates.htm

I don't think so, Morlock:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/cha...spidermanvs.htm

and it shouldn't outgross POTC either:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/cha...rmanpirates.htm

Well, I think it has a good chance of making close to Spidey 2 just because of this weekend's take, but 2 came out over 4th of July when people were off for the next week, while most people are still in school or at work. I don't think Pirates will make as much as the last one for the same reason, well that and the fact of Shrek the 3rd also coming out.

Don't be fooled by those higher Spiderman 2 numbers. It opened around the 4th of July, hence the high 4th day box office.

Also, the 2nd POTC movie opened in July.

Don't forget more people are out of school and more people are on vacation so the box office will be higher during the opening weeks.

SPOILERS

From someone who mostly enjoyed the imperfect Spiderman and absolutely loved Spiderman 2:

Spidey 3 is a fun romp, but severely flawed. The score is offensively mish-mashed; Young's original stuff was fine, but it doesn't jive with Elfman's work. And as glad as I am that they chose to use Elfman's stuff, all it really did was make his absence more sorely felt. I used to think that his Spiderman scores were fairly generic - nothing iconic. But they've really grown on me, and I've recently come to appreciate how delicately he scored the emotional scenes in Spiderman 1 and 2; something that, I believe, heavily intensifies my regard for those films. It was sad to not have an original Elfman score. Young just walked into a doomed situation.

Too many storylines. The film tried to bite off more than it could chew.

But my main complaint is that the camp was TOO FREAKING THICK. This had the potential to be the darkest, most introspective, serious of the trilogy. And whenever it began to be that (I'm thinking specifically of the Peter/Harry fistfight), it dipped right back into the most abrasive, silly camp imaginable. I mean, the dark parts were legitimately dark, and it was wonderful. But then, just as we're asking ourselves Did he really just kill Harry?, Peter is walking down the street like a buffoon to the most ridiculous music, doing the most ridiculous moves. I hated that. Everything that involved dancing, unkempt hair, and non-score music made me cringe.

It wasn't a horrible movie. But it could have been a million times better.

I don't agree with this at all.

Well, I think on one hand, The Sandman isn't interesting enough to fill a whole movie, but on the other hand he's too good to make him a B- villain. But it doesn't matter which villain you add to Venom (I didn't mean to devalue the Sandman per se) because ANY villain at his side would be too much.

Sandman hurt Spidey 3 because the film doesn't need him.

I think there are few Spidey foes that warrant a 2 and a half hours movie anyway. I mean they are all great, but few have that strong connection with Peter Parker. Doc Ock, The Goblin (I & II), Venom, The Lizard and maybe Mysterio.

Personally, I'd love to see Kingpin in one of the next films.

I thought the way THC played it, he could've held a whole movie with Sandman. I just finished school for the year so I'm too tired to go into more detail.

Sandman was awesome.

Agreed 110% Maestro!

The Sandman character seemed like he was in a different, darker movie... the way it SHOULD have been. And I hope we haven't seen the last of Venom - he deserves more than 1/3 of the movie and just a single action scene.

SPOILERS

From someone who mostly enjoyed the imperfect Spiderman and absolutely loved Spiderman 2:

Spidey 3 is a fun romp, but severely flawed. The score is offensively mish-mashed; Young's original stuff was fine, but it doesn't jive with Elfman's work. And as glad as I am that they chose to use Elfman's stuff, all it really did was make his absence more sorely felt. I used to think that his Spiderman scores were fairly generic - nothing iconic. But they've really grown on me, and I've recently come to appreciate how delicately he scored the emotional scenes in Spiderman 1 and 2; something that, I believe, heavily intensifies my regard for those films. It was sad to not have an original Elfman score. Young just walked into a doomed situation.

Too many storylines. The film tried to bite off more than it could chew.

But my main complaint is that the camp was TOO FREAKING THICK. This had the potential to be the darkest, most introspective, serious of the trilogy. And whenever it began to be that (I'm thinking specifically of the Peter/Harry fistfight), it dipped right back into the most abrasive, silly camp imaginable. I mean, the dark parts were legitimately dark, and it was wonderful. But then, just as we're asking ourselves Did he really just kill Harry?, Peter is walking down the street like a buffoon to the most ridiculous music, doing the most ridiculous moves. I hated that. Everything that involved dancing, unkempt hair, and non-score music made me cringe.

It wasn't a horrible movie. But it could have been a million times better.

I strongly agree with this. I had the same thoughts about the dancing in the streets scene. I felt like it would've been funny under different circumstances, but the previous scene was very effective and dark. With the verbal and physical blows being dealt, followed by Peter's cool, swift tossing of the bomb, I almost felt like I'd been punched in the gut. It was very intense and almost heart-breaking. And then we're supposed to just laugh at a guy who may have just killed his best friend? It didn't work. Maybe if it had been somehow placed earlier, I would've laughed, but it was very inappropriate there. I didn't mind the Jazz Room scene as much, though. It was directed well, and I was able to appreciate the spectacle and cinema of it.

I also want to mention that I absolutely loved the performances by J.K. Simmons and Bruce Campbell. The pill scene and Campbell's role as the Maitre'd were hilarious. Good fun--and the kind of humor that should be used for levity, as opposed to trying to make the evil Peter funny.

The tracking wasn't quite as prevalent as I expected, but it was definitely apparent. Raimi seems to have a love affair with the "Alone" cue from Spider-Man. It's been tracked for emotional scenes in both films. And, yes Young's score didn't jive. Did Bartek end up working on this? If he didn't, then maybe having him orchestrate might have helped smooth things out a bit. It's definitely sad. When I first heard clips of the first score, I wasn't too keen on it, but it didn't take me long to start loving the score, and Elfman did a great job on the second score, much of which went unfortunately unused. Elfman certainly did make a specific sound for Spider-Man, and it does show here.

I did like two Young cues particularly: the birth of Sandman (an extremely well-done scene), and the cue when the symbiote first takes hold of Peter and he goes swinging around. The structure of it was very good, and it effectively showed that this isn't the time to get caught up in the rush with Peter, this is is a bad thing--all the while complementing the visuals.

I would've really liked more fleshing out of the Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy characters--some of which may have taken place in deleted scenes. Bryce Dallas Howard did a good job (and she was very easy on the eyes), and I would've liked to see more of how she related to the characters. It seemed like she pretty much got dropped after the Jazz Room scene, and while we see her at the funeral, there isn't any resolution. I wonder if she and her father will get bigger roles as things go along, especially considering how big a deal she was in the comics. As for Brock, well, when it got down to the church scene, it got a little weird. At first he was a somewhat smarmy, but still somewhat sympathetic character, and then all of a sudden he's asking Jesus to kill Peter Parker? That seems to imply he had some kind of issues before that, but what I don't know. I need to see the film again, but it didn't seem that there was much indication of what was separating their paths. Peter got out, Eddie didn't. Why? IMO, that would've been something to cover in a movie that didn't feature Sandman.

It seems that maybe it would've been better to save Sandman for a team-up with the Lizard. And on that note, I will say it was cool to see Dr. Connors increasing role, which seems to indicate that things are heading toward a role for the Lizard. Perhaps Marko would've tried to get Connors to figure out what happened. I don't know, but that seems like a better way of going about it. At the same time, there were some very good things about him being used. The end of the subway scene was rather chilling, actually. It made me realize how well they've set up Peter's character. Seeing such brutality and callousness from him, and then his outburst at Mr. Ditkovich (at whose humanizing I was pleasantly surprised), was very effective.

I was fairly concerned about the multiple plotlines, and I hated the thought of someone else killing Uncle Ben, but I was surprised at how well they were handled. Could it have been better? Sure. But it was quite a bit better than I expected. And Peter does still bear a good amount of responsibility: if the first guy had been caught in the first place, Marko likely wouldn't have gotten scared and done what he did, and that kind of handling of it made it more palatable for me.

The feel was different, and I'm not sure how much of that is this being the first Spider-Man film I've seen in the theater, how much the cinematography, and how much the score (I'm sure the latter is a large part). The first part felt closer to the first two films, so the latter darkness surely contributed as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I want to see it again. There were flaws, and I can see where some might consider some parts corny. But I'm really not a cynical guy at all, and I was able to just enjoy it and have a good time. Be honest, it was nowhere near Batman and Robin--heck, it wasn't even near as bad as Batman Forever. I would go so far as to say that this is probably the first superhero franchise to have a good third movie--or, depending on your point of view, at least decent.

It seems to me that, ideally, each time someone takes a shot at a superhero, you would get six movies. There's just so much ground to cover, and usually you just don't get the chance to get there. With six movies, you get some breathing room. I think this is what happened here. With the high probability that Raimi, Maguire, and Dunst will not return, he wanted to get a shot at Venom, and Sandman, and Gwen Stacy, and went ahead and tried to incorporate them all into the third film. I also think that's why it ended the way it did. The Goblin plotline has been finished. They ended with Peter and MJ dancing so that it can allow for some amount of closure, while still having enough to go on for further movies. Particularly, Sandman hasn't been capture or anything, and there was no resolution with the Stacy family. I really hope the cast and crew returns. I've really enjoyed these films, even if there were flaws in them. They've been good fun, and, as gullwingdoors said, they have refreshingly positive messages. Here's hoping.

Good review there. I will write a shorter one. Disappointed: 6 out of 10.

The music Sandman's theme was ripped right out of Mussorgsky which bugged the hell out of me every time it appeared (even in the opening credits).

The film just didn't seem to have a reason to exist. It was repetetive and we've seen it all before in other movies. Shame as I really liked the first two. This one was just so predictable, and cheesy. Oh well. Sam Raimi had to make the odd duffer I suppose. Now I wish he'd do Evil Dead 4!

Saw it last night. There's a lot to be said for low expectation- I liked it. I mean, there was tons and tons of crap in it, but there was enough in it that I liked to make it an enjoyable time in the theater.

In bullet points:

Loved the Sandman transformation scene. Liked his character in general, too bad he was given so little to do. And if he's such a kind soul, why the hell did he cooperate with Venom at the end?

The whole ooze thing was just plain dumb.

I liked Franco, too bad his character isn't very well written. I must admit, I did like the totally implausible and ridicules teaming up with Spidy thing.

Whole end battle was boring. A waste of film and f/x.

On the other hand, some of of the other action scenes were very good. I loved the early Spidy/Goblin fight. Very well done.

Bruce Campbell's cameo was terrific.

Music was rather good throughout. Didn't sound very new...the new theme sounded like several other stuff. Still, it worked. I thought that Elfman's material worked very well, actually. I like the Main Titles more and more with every movie (especially the opening of it).

Kirsten Dunst is better looking with every movie, and I guess is marginally more believable.

I'm happy that Aunt May's dialogue wasn't quite as terrible as in the original.

The Spidy in his Nutty Professor bad routine got very old very fast.

James Cromwell was totally wasted. I guess so was Bryce Dallas Howard, but I was never a huge fan anyway.

I liked Topher Grace until he became Venom. Than it just became stupid and unlikable.

The J.K. Simmons scene are as amusing as they were in the first two films.

There were many scene, developments, dialogues and effects I didn't like, but, concidering what I expected, I forgot about most of them and just stuck it out for hte good stuff.

Overall, a rather entertaining night in the cinema. I only wonder if this will be as bad upon a second viewing as the first two were.

**1/2/****.

It was a pretty ridiculous movie with too many vilains and storylines,the movie lacked a sense of coherence,one event only leading up to the next scene of the film...but it was cool in IMAX

I don't remember posting my thoughts on this film but here they are...

I downloaded it since I am not sure when I'll be able to see it in theaters (if at all).

It kinda left me feeling I guess empty. It was good but not quite as good as Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 in my opinion. I agree that there were too many things going on at once and Sandman NEVER should have been in this film.

The whole Emo Parker, singing in the lounge and walking down the street bit should have been left out... kind of an embarrassment really.

Never cared the way how they handled Flint Marko's story line... "I was your uncle's killer but I didn't mean to kill him" ... lame lame lame....

If they had kept the story line about Harry and Venom in it then it would have been a lot better.

As far as Chris Young's actual original music goes. It wasn't too bad, but the tracking of Elfman's themes and actual music from Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 was absolutely horrible. It made the way how the music in the Star Wars Prequels were edited sound good.

Edit: I will most likely buy this on DVD though to complete the movie set...

As far as Chris Young's actual original music goes. It wasn't too bad, but the tracking of Elfman's themes and actual music from Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 was absolutely horrible. It made the way how the music in the Star Wars Prequels were edited sound good.

Well, at least one good thing might come from this movie. Considering the insane amount of tracking, once a score is released, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to put together a complete score (that is considering that all of Young's original music is on the score CD when it comes out).

Well, at least one good thing might come from this movie. Considering the insane amount of tracking, once a score is released, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to put together a complete score (that is considering that all of Young's original music is on the score CD when it comes out).

Take it from a person who didn't care for the first two, Spidey 3 is really good. But the score is probably the worst (in all seriousness, no exaggeration) score I've ever heard. It wasn't just non-memorable like so many scores, it was actually terrible and was so ill-fitting, especially the first half. I don't know what was original, tracked, or replaced, because I didn't consider any of the music in the Spiderman series to be outstanding. But the first two were masterpieces, at least they were real scores.

....But the score is probably the worst (in all seriousness, no exaggeration) score I've ever heard...

Would you like for us to start naming more appropriate candidates for that title, or would it even be worth it?

I can think of quite a few scores that would qualify as the worst. Spiderman 3 is a cut and paste job but I wouldn't classify it as worst ever.

Not beeing to familiar with the previous spiderman scores,this one didn't sound too bad.

Well thanks to Raimi, you heard much of the score from the first two films in this one.

And this is far from one of the worst scores in history. You may not find the scores interesting, but there are many universally hated scores that will qualify above Spider-Man 3.

I liked and enjoyed the film until the moment in the church... from that moment on it felt as if the writers thought "Hmm so we've come so far.. and we've just 30 minutes left to end the movie.!!"

And I liked the score pretty much. I remeber the moment at the beginning whan you hear the orchestra playing to spidey's grilfriend's singing.. and when the camera moves up to harry. The orchestral "sourcemusic" goes braekeless over into the score...

And the scene where sandman finds out that he is a sandman for the first time!

... hmm had a few good moments and a very lazy lousy hollywood cliche ending

Just got back from seeing Spider-Man 3, being the first film I've seen in a cinema since Casino Royale. It wasn't bad, wasn't great either. I loved Christopher Young's Sandman theme, that was really catchy. I didn't get the whole emo thing. What, they thought the only way to communicate darkness and dispair to young people was an emo appearance and persona? Come on!

It was overloaded with villains; the angsty stuff is getting old, with Peter and MJ, I've never seen an on-screen couple act as immature, awkward and hurtful around one-another, you'd think they'd be over that teenage crap by the third movie.

Oh, and Bryce Dallas Howard was surprisingly hot! Loved the hair-do!

Oh, and Bryce Dallas Howard was surprisingly hot! Loved the hair-do!

I thought so too...I'd never seen her play a modern, normal person before. Very nice! Considering her father is Ron Howard, her mother must be a real looker.

Ray Barnsbury

Would you like for us to start naming more appropriate candidates for that title, or would it even be worth it?

Actually, yes. Not to disagree or argue, but I'm genuinely curious. I really don't see why people like this score. Maybe it sounds better stand-alone, but in the movie its absolutely terrible. The only part I can think of that actually seemed like a decent cue was the piece in the Church (as well as Elfman's theme, obviously).

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooo ... anyone else got their hands on Chris Young's promo CD? It has these tracks:

1. Main Titles

2. Harry In Lab - Web - Meteor

3. Harry Attacks Peter

4. Black Suited Spiderman Goes To Church

5. Birth Of Sandman

6. Transformation To Black Suited Spiderman

7. Happy Endings

Still inferior to Elfman's music, but overall a lovely score (based on those roughly 25 minutes).

There's also a promo with all the music written by Debney and Deborah Lurie, but I didn't get my hands on that yet (damn those queued uploads!)

Intriguing. And I didn't know anyone else wrote anything for Spider-Man 3...or are you referring to Spider-Man 2 also?

No, I'm talking about Spidey 3. John Debney and Deborah Lurie were brought in to replace Young's love theme and a couple of others with variations on Elfman's love theme.

Here's the track list of the other promo:

1. Peter and MJ dance

2. End Tag

3. Setting MJ Down

4. Peter Leaves A Message

5. Lonely MJ

6. Lonely MJ (alternate ending)

7. Engagement Ring - Broadway Marquee

8. Goblin - Stargazing

9. Key To The City

10. Peter Asks Harry For Help

11. Aunt May's Ring

12. Death Of A Friend

13. Peter At MJ's Window

14. Chris Rea - On The Beach (no idea what this is)

Man, this is a mess. So Debney and Lurie were brought in to replace Young's love theme which replaced Elfman's love theme... *sigh* Thanks for the info.

Sooooooo ... anyone else got their hands on Chris Young's promo CD? It has these tracks:

1. Main Titles

3. Harry Attacks Peter

5. Birth Of Sandman

7. Happy Endings

Still inferior to Elfman's music, but overall a lovely score (based on those roughly 25 minutes).

There's also a promo with all the music written by Debney and Deborah Lurie, but I didn't get my hands on that yet (damn those queued uploads!)

An unofficial Chris Young website somewhere has links to mp3's of most of those tracks. I'm listening to Birth of Sandman right now, albeit with a bit missing from the start.

Gotta get my hands on whatever promo is out there :pukeface:

1. Main Titles

3. Harry Attacks Peter

5. Birth Of Sandman

7. Happy Endings

An unofficial Chris Young website somewhere has links to mp3's of most of those tracks. I'm listening to Birth of Sandman right now, albeit with a bit missing from the start.

Gotta get my hands on whatever promo is out there :D

What website is that exactly?

I'd love to get my hands on that Spidey 3 promo, as I was hooked up with the one by Debney & Lurie and would love to get my hands on Young's work (until a proper score is released of course).

1. Main Titles

3. Harry Attacks Peter

5. Birth Of Sandman

7. Happy Endings

Is the fistfight between Emo Peter and Harry on there? One of the best cues in the movie.

http://www.chrisyoung-filmmusic.info/start.htm

That he's putting these out there now makes me think there won't be a CD release after all.

Its only a few tracks and not that long really, so I can still see a proper score release.

Anybody have a chronological order combining the Young and Debney/Lurie promos (or a list of which cue replaced which, or something)? This music kind of sucks, but I've been so into Elfman's scores for the first two lately that I have to indulge my macabre fascination with bad sequels.

Its only a few tracks and not that long really, so I can still see a proper score release.

Yeah, I'd just found that link before. After I listened to those and realized how short it was, I agree.

And I still really want that jazzy fight cue as well!

Combining the two promos, you have about 38 minutes of music. Either they saw this coming and intentionally kept certain sections off both promos, or there is an amazingly short amount of original music written for this movie.

Oh... (VALUABLE RESOURCE ALERT) I have both promos, and a proper track order.

A warning - it may not be 100% accurate - I certianly hope so, but you never know:

Main Title*

Goblin / Stargazing

Harry in Lab - Web - Meteor*

Engagement Ring / Broadway Marguee

Harry Attacks Peter*

Peter and MJ Dance

Lonely MJ

Lonely MJ (Alternate Ending)

Birth of Sandman*

Setting MJ Down

Keys to the City

Aunt May's Ring

Transformations to Black Suited Spiderman*

Peter at MJ's Window

Peter Leaves A Message

Black Suited Spiderman Goes to Church*

Peter Asks Harry for Help

Death of a Friend

Happy Ending*

End Tag

* means it's Young material. Everything else is Lurie's promo.

Cool, thanks. So none of that Debney/Lurie material was meant to replace any of the cues available on Young's promo? (I'm thinking "Web" and "Happy Ending" - Young's new love theme was trashed in favor of adaptations of Elfman's.)

EDIT: Looks like "Goblin and Stargazing" is the alternative of "Harry in Lab / Web (but not / Meteor)."

Cool, thanks. So none of that Debney/Lurie material was meant to replace any of the cues available on Young's promo? (I'm thinking "Web" and "Happy Ending" - Young's new love theme was trashed in favor of adaptations of Elfman's.)

EDIT: Looks like "Goblin and Stargazing" is the alternative of "Harry in Lab / Web (but not / Meteor)."

You are correct in assuming that Cerrabore about non of Lurie's (that other promo has NO Debney music), was not ment to replace the cues available on Young's promo.

By the way "Peter and MJ Dance" is supposed to go after "Death Of A Friend" and "Setting MJ Down" is supposed to go before "Death Of A Friend". Also "Engagement Ring / Broadway Marguee goes after the Main Titles..

It's just all of this is confusing having both promos joined together... however here is the order in which Lurie's music only should go...

Engagement Ring / Broadway Marguee

Goblin / Stargazing

Keys to the City

Lonely MJ

Lonely MJ (Alt Ending)

Peter Leaves A Message

Aunt May's Ring

Peter At MJ's Window

Peter Asks Harry For Help

Setting MJ Down

Death Of A Friend

Peter And MJ Dance