Call me a moron (I just realized something)

artyjeffrey

I was in my car, daydreaming, when I suddenly realized that the opening theme from Capricorn One is simply a bombastic take on Thus Spake Zarathustra. I'm sure everyone else has known this for many years. D'oh.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in my car, daydreaming, when I suddenly realized that the opening theme from Capricorn One is simply a bombastic take on Thus Spake Zarathustra. I'm sure everyone else has known this for many years. D'oh.

You're a moron.

:(

Don't worry, that may be the single piece of classical music which has been ripped off more than any other.

That's nothing. I figured out that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and the Alphabet song were the same tune when I was 14.

I hope I don't turn your world upside-down by adding that the tune is also used in Baa-Baa Black Sheep.

That's nothing. I figured out that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and the Alphabet song were the same tune when I was 14.

I hope I don't turn your world upside-down by adding that the tune is also used in Baa-Baa Black Sheep.

Ok, this is for real. WHHAAAT????

Actually, you know, I can't say that I've ever contemplated this before. I did know that the tune was written by Mozart though.

The funny thing is, ET's Halloween has always been my favorite cue of ET (especially the beginning). Yoda's Theme is so well integrated that I didn' t notice it.

In Carnival of the Animals, Saint-Saens quotes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, rips off Offenbach's Can-Can, Rossini's Barber of Seville, and even the composer's own Danse Macabre. And I didn't notice any of these when I was younger and it was one of my favorite pieces. Years later I remember popping in a CD of it and recognizing all of these parodies at the same time and I was overwhelmed.

Don't worry, I didn't recognize Yoda's Theme in ET's Halloween.

Wow, the first time I listened to the album I picked it up, couldn't understand why it was there until I saw the film.

In Carnival of the Animals, Saint-Saens quotes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, rips off Offenbach's Can-Can, Rossini's Barber of Seville, and even the composer's own Danse Macabre.

I know about the Offenbach bit and recognise it, and I think I've heard about Danse Macabre (in the fossils, right?), although I don't think I ever consciously noticed it. But where would I find the other two?

My world has shattered.

a friend of mine didn't realize that "Bah Bah Black Sheep" was the same melody as "Twinkle Twinkle" and "ABCD" until the other day when I was singing it to him and he laughed and I asked what happened.

He said "I was like 'why are you singing 'bah bah black sheep' to twinkle twinkle and I realized,they're the same!" lol

Then agian, he isn't very musical :P

I was in my car, daydreaming

I hope you weren't driving. :P

Believe me, where I live, it's so boring and desolate that a.) I can daydream while I drive BECAUSE I MUST, and b.) I wouldn't hit anything anyways! Well, not anything of importance.

That Twinkle Twinkle Little Star connection is hilarious. So I guess I'm not alone in having sudden, obvious epiphanies!

just like James Horner!!!
Just like James Horner!

Steef, you're repeating yourself.

Wait for it...

just like James Horner!

Words are the same, yes, but notice that he only used one exclamation point when he repeated himself. He was clearly less excited the second time. This, I say, is forgivable.

Tim

In Carnival of the Animals, Saint-Saens quotes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, rips off Offenbach's Can-Can, Rossini's Barber of Seville, and even the composer's own Danse Macabre.

I know about the Offenbach bit and recognise it, and I think I've heard about Danse Macabre (in the fossils, right?), although I don't think I ever consciously noticed it. But where would I find the other two?

The other two are also both in Fossils. Twinkle Twinkle occurs about 25 seconds in, and should be fairly easy to spot, as the orchestra stops and it is played by one of the pianos! The Rossini reference is not from the Overture to the Barber of Seville, but from Rosina's Act One aria, Una voce poco fa. In Fossils it happens about 8 bars or so into the clarinet bit towards the end of the Fossils movement. The part of the aria quoted is the "Ma se mi toccano dov'e il mio debole" phrase.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Words are the same, yes, but notice that he only used one exclamation point when he repeated himself. He was clearly less exited the second time.

Just like James Horner!

Words are the same, yes, but notice that he only used one exclamation point when he repeated himself. He was clearly less exited the second time.

Just like James Horner!

:P

Oh, God, this is getting too easy and I know it's abusing the joke, so I promise this is the last one... :)

I do not wish to be made fun of.

...just like James Horner!