Soundtrack.net POTC: World's End previews

QMM

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sound half bad. I'll probably end up downloading it at some point.

Nice Morricone rip, btw. Could be fun in the film.

- Marc, cautiously optimistic.

This may really be something (given than you are not Zimmer hater). I despise the music from the first Pirates. I enjoy the music from the sequel, even though I am still disappointed with the fact that it's only half a step in the right direction. The third one sounds promising. It still retains some PotC (and HZ&co) features, but on the other seems to be richer and more diverse than previous PotC scores. Moreover, it doesn't make me fell I have already heard it, so that's good. I have been looking forward to this score for a while, but never really expected something really good. I hope I was wrong.

I've never hated Pirates (score or film) so I guess I won't be disappointed.

At least it shows that he acknowledged all the harsh criticism about the direction of these scores and actually tried to improve something. Definitely a plus in my book. And I am a zimmer hater!

Wether or not the final result is actually better than the previous two (though that's not a tough challenge) remains to be heard. At least my interest is raised enough that I will give it a chance.

Yes, I love pretty much everything but the scores in the first two so I'm looking forward to it. But I wish it came with a "score-less" option.

I have no interest in hearing any of this score outside the film. Or in the film, for that matter.

I was waiting to read something I could just quote

Yes, I love pretty much everything but the scores in the first two so I'm looking forward to it. But I wish it came with a "score-less" option.

In time you will learn to watch a good film with a crappy score and mentally phase the music out, it takes practice but it can be done.

In time you will learn to watch a good film with a crappy score and mentally phase the music out, it takes practice but it can be done.

I've actually gotten pretty good at it, the only times that I get really annoyed is whenever that awful "dead men" theme is playing in the first one. It's like someone using a baseball bat trying to drive an icepick through your skull: inefficient, overdone, and very painful.

And I actually don't mind that little Jack Sparrow celeste diddy in the second one, it's main problem is it's exactly the same every time it's played.

I hate this quicktime streaming thing because I get problem playing the clips. I mean it keep on lossing the stream like the connection isn't stable.

EDIT: Okay. Manage to listened to all the clips without having problems. This something completely different compared to the last previous two and it sound really good. Looking forward to buying the soundtrack when it released in here Sydney, Australia.

I can do that with some films, but POTC scores are so... loud. I can mentally phase out the GoldenEye score when I watch the film, but maybe thats because it's mixed so low.

Or maybe it's because the film is actually worth watching, unlike POTC. :)

I can do that with some films, but POTC scores are so... loud

Well they are bit of a fun rock style of way but in an orchestral version of it with overlayed of synths. Amazing that Zimmer decided to avoid as much synths in this Pirate of the Caribbean: At World's End compared to the previous two considering this upcoming score, based on hearing the sample clips.....the sound of the instruments is too real to be considered to be synths. Especially with the instrumental solos....

By the way here is some details if anyone is interested:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Walt Disney Records

Released May 22nd, 2007

Conducted by Blake Neely / Nick Glennie-Smith

Performed by

The Hollywood Studio Symphony

Its not really a piece of crap. Its just something that you can turn your brain off and enjoy.

Not that I'm endorsing it or anything.

Who cares if the music isn't good or not. Music from Pirates of the Caribbean are fun and enjoyable to listen to even though they using the composers which aren't as advanced A class as John Williams, Jame Newton Howard and others. But they're using composers which has the right style they need though for the film.

And in a way Hans Zimmer is better than Klaus Badelt. Perhap Hans Zimmer and Jame Newton Howard should of work together on this last POTC one like they did on batman begins.

Perhap Hans Zimmer and Jame Newton Howard should of work together on this last POTC one like they did on batman begins.

....but the Batman Begins score was bollocks.

Who cares if the music isn't good or not.

I can't believe you just said that. Have you forgotten where you are?!?

I don't see why so many people (and when I say "people," I mean score fans) flipped out about how unoriginal the first POTC score was. Ever hear of a rush job? Did ya hear Horner's TROY? POTC is what a MediaVentures rush job sounds like, surprise surprise. Who didn't see it coming? It certainly served it's purpose - a different pirate score for a different pirate film.

Zimmer clearly had more time to experiment with the second and third films, so it's reasonable to expect they are/will be better than the first.

If that oboe isn't sampled, what junk wind musician did they get to play it? I hear phasing issues with delayed doubling or microphone problems, tuning issues, and bad attacks.

I'm glad to see he's recording live orchestras now, but he's got so many synths going on top of it, it doesn't sound good at all. He needs some good engineer like Shawn Murphy to come in and clean up his recordings, because they sound like they recorded a high school orchestra instead of a group of professional musicians. I seriously don't think Hans Zimmer's music would be that terrible if he would just take on a professional conductor and orchestrator and record everything live to analog without all the obnoxious percussion and over blowing brass.

~JW

I am a huggge pirates fan (both the movies and the score) so I'm actually looking foward to May 22 & 25. I liked the first movie soundtrack but I prefer the themes in the second, especially The Kraken and Davy Jones, I'm attempting to listen to the clips but my annoyingly slow computer is making that highly impossible.

I have to say the music sounds extremely promising in this third one.

Contrary to our perpetual Zimmernay-sayers' err well perpetuality in the perpetuation of their perptual hatered.

Eh?

I guess I'm looking forward to the score. And by that I mean that it better be better than the first two.

I'm glad to see he's recording live orchestras now, but he's got so many synths going on top of it, it doesn't sound good at all. He needs some good engineer like Shawn Murphy

I was following you until the last quoted proper nouns, and the adjective tied to them.

He needs some good engineer like Shawn Murphy to come in and clean up his recordings,

Good? Well, sometimes. :)

Who knows, Murphy's muddy mixing may drown some of the crap out of the music.

I'm glad to see he's recording live orchestras now, but he's got so many synths going on top of it, it doesn't sound good at all. He needs some good engineer like Shawn Murphy

I was following you until the last quoted proper nouns, and the adjective tied to them.

Well, he's not the classic Williams engineer Eric Tomlinson, but he's better than anyone else recording out there right now. I've been depressed by the amount of bad mixing in most scores, and he seems to be the least offensive of them all. 9 bets out of 10 the bad mixes are not from him recording improperly, but a sound effects editor getting to them before the finalization. Next to him is Dan Wallin, who I feel isolates too much and makes the performance less blended. Murphy uses a simple decca tree and 3 Neumann M50's with schoeps wings and that's about it besides some section and solo mics. Any mix he's had complete control of I don't find offensive at all. The fact that he usually doesn't use Pro tools or other digital formats on most of his scores certainly makes me smile.

I understand he's not perfect, but certainly he could mix a Zimmer score a little better than Alan Meyerson does.

~JW

Well the production for Pirates of the Caribbean: At world's End has been in Post Production for a long time which probably explains that Zimmer had more spare time on his hands to come up with a great score of his own compared to amout of time Zimmer and Badelt had in the first two scores I guess. This sample clips on soundtrack.net does sound promising as it already been mentioned.

Also, imagine if the first one had been all out symphonic bombast (not the final score was ideal, but still). Where would you go from there?

I can only dream of what might have been if Silvestri had stayed and gone symphonic ala The Mummy Returns.

While I'd love that, and the first score is an almost complete write-off in my book, I am very happy with the second score, and the third sounds promising.

But while there are some high profile rejected scores which I understand their rejection (2001, Mission:Impossible, Air Force One, Troy), I've heard no justification what so ever for Silvestri's rejection (other than the criminal offence of being a non-MV composer on a Bruckheimer film. Every single film of his since 1990 fits that bill, and before that most of his films were scored by Harold Faltermeyer, a mentor and role-model for several MV composers).

Every single film of his since 1990 fits that bill

That's not correct. National Treasure, Bad Company, Armageddon, Remember the Titans, ... were scored by Trevor Rabin, who isn't and was never a member of Hans Zimmer's Remote Control studios.