The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quint and RIchard, the designation 'Europe' is not a political creation for frontiers. its the name for the physical region. The british isles are part of the same tectonic plate as the rest of europe.

You are still part of the EU (formerly EEC), though.

I want to see actual scenes from the films first. Zemeckis' films look like crap, to be blunt. I thought Weta did a much better job with motion capture on Kong and LOTR than ILM did with Jar Jar.

ahem... comparing 2002,2003 and 2005 sfx with 1999 sfx?

BTW, i dont think jar jar was truly motion captured, and if it was it would be the rough technology of only recording the articulations.

The only fair comparison is davy jones... and even that is 3 years appart from gollum.

I though double J was all motion capture.

Oh well.

The original plan for Jar Jar was to have Ahmed Best perform the character on set and leave his performance intact, replacing only his head with the neck and head of Jar Jar. Blending the CG neck with the physical costume proved very difficult however. It was then decided to replace all of Best with a head-to-toe CG version of Jar Jar. During the process, the live-action footage of Best's costume was used for lighting references. When the decision was made to remove Best's presence from the footage, they went one step further: rather than trace the actor's original physical performance, they character's movements were handed to the animation department. Jar Jar became much more energized and slightly cartoony. Best was much more restrained in his body movements, which is why some of the other actors occasionally look rather mellow while Jar Jar is bouncing across the screen. The suit Best wore is still visible in some insert shots in the film (like Jar Jar reaching into the podracer engines and his feet on the table aboard Amidala's ship en route to Coruscant).

So in the end, there is no motion capture involved at all (nor was it planned). Jar Jar's movements in the final film are mostly a product of the animation department.

you know i did not know this, and the other day mark olivarez wrote something about aotc production, i think, that i didnt knew either.

It's scary.

I am the star wars fan!

I think Jar Jar and Watto still hold up as some of the most convincing CG animated characters. That some people thought only his head was CGI proves that.

maybe by the result of all these experimentations what ended up on screen is more convincing than if they has done motion capture. One of these things that can't really be duplicated again

I thought too many of the CGI characters in the prequels looked too cartoony. And the lack of motion capture explains some of Jar Jar's awkward movements.

Actually Richard is correct.

I think you're overlooking the fact that the United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Nr Ireland.

Europe on the other hand comprises of France, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands etc...

Thank you.

One word, pal: STERLING!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone?wasRedirected=true

How does it feel to be PURPLE?

Dirty, heathen purple!

The Pound is dying, soon you will embrace the Euro.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sorry, what was this thread all about..?)

Jar Jar convincing cgi? Lolololololol

what I mean is making is movement animated looked better than a poor attempt at motion capture .So you can "buy" that's how Gungans move

Actually Richard is correct.

I think you're overlooking the fact that the United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Nr Ireland.

Europe on the other hand comprises of France, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands etc...

Thank you.

One word, pal: STERLING!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone?wasRedirected=true

How does it feel to be PURPLE?

Dirty, heathen purple!

The Pound is dying, soon you will embrace the Euro.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sorry, what was this thread all about..?)

So what continent does the UK belong too?

CGI was used perfectly in Jurassic Park, and only Jurassic Park.

The second part of your statement is incorrect. And also a bit rubbish.

Lee - more and more pleased and encouraged by these latest images.

I'm starting to love this.

The desert scene is straight out of the comics.

The Dupond(t)s/Thom(p)sons have a different nose, but I find Spielberg and Jackson's version of them so funny that it doesn't matter to me at all.

And for some reason I feel this is a film JW must have loved to score.

I'm starting to quite look forward to this, both the movie and what Williams is going to do with it.

you mean did with it. I think the score is already recorded

Yeah, the score is basically done but I remember reading somewhere that they were doing some pick-up sessions in the future, probably to adjust the material and avoid editing.

The great thing about John revisiting his material so much time later is that he'll have the main themes in their best form!

for those who haven't read the comics the following paragraphs may be a bit spoilery

I reread Secret of the Unicorn last night. It ends when Tintin and Haddock find out the coordinates to the treasure. They will certainlt not end the film there, they will go into Red Rakham's treasure. And I can't imagine them doing that and skipping Calculus, now that Jackson has hinted at Crystal Balls/Temple for the sequel.

What if the film starts with Secret of the Unicorn, then after the coodrinates are discovered they use plot devices from Crab withe the Golden Claws instead: the boat, the hidroplane, the desert... then Tintin and Haddock come back and the film goes to the end of Red Rakham's treasure. It's been long since I read that one but I think it ended in Moulinsart? (I would totally hate this).

But then they would have to invent another completely different introduction of Calculus for the rumored Crystal Balls sequel, and that one wouldn't quite work the same. (I would hate this too).

Or maybe Jackson's comments are just a distraction and the second film is ONLY about Red Rakham's Treasure? Again, tthey would end the first film (a risky project nobody nows how well its going to do in box-office) in a cliffhanger...

My head hurts. Damn cast list. But I'm still scared...

Chaac, do you think you could put spoiler tags around that? I'm afraid I'll accidentally read it when scrolling through the thread in the future. Thanks!

I think he probably worked on an already edited, rough animated version of it.

Chaac, do you think you could put spoiler tags around that? I'm afraid I'll accidentally read it when scrolling through the thread in the future. Thanks!

Spoiler-tagged now. I didn't remember ths message board had that option.

I think he probably worked on an already edited, rough animated version of it.

I don't know why Williams didn't wait for some finished scenes to come in before spotting. What if he sees the finalized, fully rendered film and wants to completely redo his score? :P

You don't have to wait for the final cut to begin composing. I highly doubt any composer does that these days. Either way, I'm sure editing was completed by the time they started rendering all the CGI. It doesn't make sense to do all the footage and then cut a bunch out, waste of a lot of time and money.

I should imagine the comic strips alone would be very inspirational to a musician like Williams. Coupled with the raw footage perhaps, Williams has plenty of imagery to work with. He can fine tune and finesse the score nearer the release, if necassary (it probably will be.)

If I'm not mistaken, scores for animated films are usually done months in advance of the film being finished. I recall seeing scoring sessions taking place with just the rough sketches or working prints being projected.

Perhaps because there are some songs in the score? Like with Home Alone or Hook? It makes sense that the songs are recorded before the animation work begins.

By the time Williams was writing the score, he had a completely edited film to watch and score to. All the rough animation was done - think the pre-viz material from Indiana Jones 4. Then it just takes years for the animators to make the finished animations.

Perhaps because there are some songs in the score? Like with Home Alone or Hook? It makes sense that the songs are recorded before the animation work begins.

I imagine there will be a song for Bianca Castiafore. Imagine something like "Aunt Marge's Waltz", but with a bad opera singer...

All the rough animation was done - think the pre-viz material from Indiana Jones 4.

More likely pre-viz from avatar. I think the technology cameron used was able to make more realistec pre visualization.

If I'm not mistaken, scores for animated films are usually done months in advance of the film being finished. I recall seeing scoring sessions taking place with just the rough sketches or working prints being projected.

I think it depends on each film. I know John Powell worked on Happy Feet for 4 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, those have all been posted already several weeks ago :P

oops, sorry.. i searched a bit and i'm sure that I only found the 3 of them in previous links. not the other 2 (meaning the 2 photos before the last one)

• 4 weeks later...