The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite interested to see how the IMAX scenes play out in regular theaters - hopefully Nolan is using it for artistic purposes and not as a gimmick, but considering his past efforts i'm not too worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm not too keen on it. Honestly, if they had just left the Begins suit as it was, I wouldn't mind. We'll see how this goes, though. WB seems to have this habit of releasing the crappiest reveal pictures for their superhero franchises, and then it ends up not looking so bad on film.

The emblem on this suit might actually be gold, like the utility belt. It's hard to tell from the lighting on the picture, though.

Hate it. It needs to be slick and simple, something that doesn't make him look like an extreme sports athlete with a cape. I've always wanted a very gothic and dark Batman movie. I thought this would be it but.....I guess now.

Gothic was done in Burton's films (especially Batman Returns). This film will be dark though, I mean, it's in the title.

Don't let the suit ruin the film for you. There's no nipples, and at least it maintains the idea of having only practical costumes. The razors shooting at people seems to be a bit gimmicky, but overall the suit does maintain the "super soldier" idea they've been going for starting in Begins.

And those other pictures really make me excited for this film. Hopefully there will be some sleeper hits in Winter 2007, because otherwise this year in films is already over in my mind.

I like it a lot actually. If Batman really existed, I think that that's what he would look like. If Batman wore a "slick" suit then he would just get shot and die. If he wanted to make it past his first outing, he would have to be wearing armor, and that is what modern full body armor would look like. And I absolutely love the fact that they finally disconnected the head from the shoulders! I can't imagine being a very effective crime fighter without being able to look to your side. I don't understand why someone wouldn't like this...really. It looks absolutely awesome and unique.

The thing is, it's supposed to be reasonable that he could be seen as a supernatural figure by the criminals. That was more acceptable in Begins because of the darkness of the costume. Now, if Batman stays mostly in the shadows, this could work. And, actually, a picture has been leaked of a stunt double, and it's actually a much darker costume than it appeared to be in the reveal pic. But the biggest issue is how mechanical it looks. Yes, that's realistic. But I think there comes a point where you have to say, "You know what--it's not real. What do we need to do for the sake of the character and the story?" Ideally, though, you should be able to reach more of a middle ground.

The costume not going to influence whether I like the film or not. I just think the costume doesn't look good.

In other news, the new Bat-cycle (called the Bat-pod) has been revealed.

Is it just me, or is Nolan and co. unveiling too much too soon?

Ah, that's a Bat-cycle.

When read about a bicycle for Batman, I was thinking it might be one of these with pointed ears and wings or something...

You know, the old Bat vehicles all had a trademark Gothic look. I take it the new, standard-on-all-Bat-vehicles novelty is huge tires?

Ah, that's a Bat-cycle.

When read about a bicycle for Batman, I was thinking it might be one of these with pointed ears and wings or something...

You know, the old Bat vehicles all had a trademark Gothic look. I take it the new, standard-on-all-Bat-vehicles novelty is huge tires?

As much as I love the Burton-era batmobile (and I love it immensely), I just think the gothic style you mention is a bit gaudy and ostentatious for the tone that Nolan is trying to take.

One things for damned sure - Schumacher's involvement with the franchise and memories still lurking about the camp 60's show seemed to have shaped how these new films are turning out.....and that's a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Some interesting news from Comicon.

Dollar bills with the Joker's look taped on them were found around the show floor. When you peel back the tape, you get a link to this website. In other words, some more viral marketing.

At least we now know that Michael Caine gets to say some cool lines (with great delivery, I might add).