The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

Let us not forget that a recent piece of sterling journalism seemed to inform us that Randy Kerber would be writing music for KOTCS, assisted by John Williams, writer of the Star Wars theme song.

Excellent point.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great. Can't wait to hear the proper theme.

My only concern is the Joker's comedy. Ledger seems to have nailed the psychotic side, but, well, he doesn't seem funny. I hope they don't go over the top with the darkness so that he loses his true innate ability to make you laugh your ass off before he kills you.

(...)

Then listen to Elfman or Goldenthal :fouetaa:

Chris - who somehow hopes that this time Z & H deliver.

(...)

Then listen to Elfman or Goldenthal :fouetaa:

Chris - who somehow hopes that this time Z & H deliver.

Not a fan of Goldenthal's. Elfman's is very good, although I have trouble listening to it in full (i.e. the main title) without the film to accompany it. For me it just seems to work a lot better on top of the camera zooming round the batsymbol than it does just listening to it, if that makes sense. Adds a bit more weight.

I liked the way Howard/Zimmer's theme was never fully stated because they didn't feel he earnt it yet - that thematic use appeals to me - although I loved the score in any case.

My only concern is the Joker's comedy. Ledger seems to have nailed the psychotic side, but, well, he doesn't seem funny. I hope they don't go over the top with the darkness so that he loses his true innate ability to make you laugh your ass off before he kills you.

Really, when the Joker makes a joke, he should be the only one in the room laughing. That's part of his character.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so freakin' excited. This is gonna be incredible. I can't even fully comment. This is just crazy.

As far as Joker's humor goes, it looks like he's struck a right balance--"Here's my card," and the way he fixes his hair as he goes to Rachel being two prime examples. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Great trailer, made better in HD. The Harvey Dent character arc is going to be most excellent.

Really, when the Joker makes a joke, he should be the only one in the room laughing. That's part of his character.

In the filmic world, sure, but in the real world, he should make us laugh. Even with the really corny jokes he makes. I'm not seeing it with Ledger though.

Another comment:

Is is just me, or does it look like instead of acid, Harvey's going to be a burn victim?

Another comment:

Is is just me, or does it look like instead of acid, Harvey's going to be a burn victim?

That looks like a possibility with the

gasoline

, but I wouldn't give up on it being

acid

In case you didn't know, there is a shot of Two-Face in the trailer. It's the bit with Harvey holding a gun in a car with the right side of his face only being shown.

It might be. The biggest thing to me is the fact that he is lying with the left side of his face down in the gasoline.

Whoa! You're right! When I was watching it at normal speed I thought it was

before his accident, with something going on along the lines of The Long Halloween.

I continue to be intrigued. What's being shown of Ledger's performance is really good. It'll probably be enough to get me to the theater to see it, like the word of mouth on Batman Begins was.

I am a big fan of "Batman Begins", and this sequel looks terrific. I can´t wait for see it. If there wasn´t coming a movie called "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Krystal Scull", "The Dark Knigth" would be the movie of the year.

Looks great. I guess I should see Batman Begins at some point, huh?

no, its really a very overrated movie, not in the league of Burton's Batman, and visually its less than stunning. Nolan has no concept of how to stage an action sequence. it also has one of the least interesting main villians. Bale is good a Wayne and a poor Batman.

this reinvention of batman as some ninja warrior is completely lame.

this trailer was IMHO very unexciting. People will flock to this film because the Joker is a better villian than ray ghoul or whatever it was called, and the fact that with Ledger "accidentally" killing himself, there is a ghoulish factor, the most anticipated scene of the summer is the Joker crawling out of the bodybag.

and you know that Zimmer will deliver a putrid score, as usual, JNH will just say to hell with it.

Looks great. I guess I should see Batman Begins at some point, huh?

no, its really a very overrated movie, not in the league of Burton's Batman, and visually its less than stunning. Nolan has no concept of how to stage an action sequence. it also has one of the least interesting main villians. Bale is good a Wayne and a poor Batman.

this reinvention of batman as some ninja warrior is completely lame.

Your opinions are always fund to read, Joe, if not enlightening.

Nolan undoubtedly has much to learn about action, but the Batman Begins is far from incompetent.

The visuals: the film wants absolutely nothing to do with Burton's Batman. It's megalopolis is supposed to signify any metropolis-like city. Nolan wasn't after a grand gothic fantasy.

The villains: Again, the movie shuns the big thrills of hero movies. Its villains are consistent with its themes of mass corruption. The movie wanted to emphasize that the kind of evil that corruption breeds is not traceable to one source. This augments the "Batman as symbol" theme. Bruce Wayne tries to capture in one symbol, in one idea (the Batman) -- the same thing that's spread on a mass level through a chain of power: Fear.

Bale: He was perfect. His Batman is flawed, rough around the edges, and far from a polished fighter, or even hero. This is consistent with the notions expressed above.

My feeling is that Batman Begins is a standout to come out of contemporary Hollywood, and it's one of the most memorable and all-around great movies in recent years. It takes so much --thematic detail, character development, and a sense of fear and power that constitute a city-- and streamlines it so effectively.

Ted

Joe, Bruce's martial arts training has been a big part of the mythos for some time now. I don't see anything lame about it; it's part of his fighting style. Even in B89 there were hints of it.

For the most part I agree with you, Ted. However, I wouldn't say the film really shuns the big thrills. There are some really cool "hero" moments. It's the score that shuns them, unfortunately, but I won't go into that again...or will I?

As far as the city goes, while I understand--and to a large degree, agree with--the goal of making Gotham seem more like a real city, I wouldn't mind letting it have a little more character. Certainly, in pretty much incarnation previously, Gotham was a character in itself, and giving it some more personality would be good. The Narrows was great--it's just that the "nicer" part of town that could've been a bit less generic. The trailer, though, seems to indicate we might get a bit more of that in TDK.

It's interesting that you mention those things about Bale's Batman, though, as I've seen some fans complain that he was too smooth too fast. I guess you can't please everybody.

Begins certainly was a terrific Batman film overall--and a terrific film. And Gary Oldman IS Jim Gordon.

there is nothing great about Batman Begins, its just a fanboys attempt at reenergizing a franchise mishandled.

The best publicity this film could have gotten is Ledger's unnecessary demise.

Gary Oldman IS Jim Gordon, has to be the geekiest line on this board in awhile.

there was never anything wrong with Batman that required the character to be fundementally changed, just the execution.

But then again BB is the closest one gets to the source material. It's a very faithful interpretation of the character. That's why most people think of it as superior film. Burton's Batman had nothing to do with comic books I read as a kid. And they have a lot of issues story-wise.

Karol

While I will always love the original Batman (never cared for any other movie after that one bleh) I gotta say I like the reboot of the franchise and I am really excited for The Dark Knight.

I still enjoy the first because it still keeps a very comic book feel to it while having a reasonable sense of drama. Though the Prince music is terrible.

I think the best live-action is BEGINS, but the best out of the lot is MASK OF THE PHANTASM.

No it hasn't. It's still enjoyable though. Returns is better.

Ted

I saw it again recently, and was struck by how utterly unmemorable the characters and dialogue was, compared to the visuals and the music. Watching it now, the score made the film. Returns is a much better movie. More even. Still leaves Batman as a supporting character, but it balances him against the three villains in a far more satisfying manner.

But then again BB is the closest one gets to the source material. It's a very faithful interpretation of the character. That's why most people think of it as superior film. Burton's Batman had nothing to do with comic books I read as a kid. And they have a lot of issues story-wise.

Karol

that is bull, it has nothing to do with the source material, it has everything to do with the reinvention of the character.

The Burton movie (which I think has aged well, and the Prince music is still fine) is closer to the Batman comix I grew up with than Nolan's movie. And what was so awesome about that weak villian in the first movie that had comix geeks creaming their pants over. He was terrible. At least this time around the Joker is a big improvement, though Ledger's isn't going to be in Jack's Joker's league, you can tell already.

Karol

that is bull, it has nothing to do with the source material, it has everything to do with the reinvention of the character.

The origin of Batman was never fully dealt with until Batman: Year One. Batman Begins borrowed heavily from it so I can't see how it has nothing to do with the source material.

Jack's Joker had it's moments, and was most certainly totally insane throughout. But I have a feeling that Ledger's will be more consistantly fun, and still totally insane.

I would say I'm probably one of the biggest Batman fans on this board. While I do admire some of the aspects in Burton's Batman, namely the production design and the score, I have to agree with Morlock and ted, it really hasn't aged very well. Batman Begins is the best Batman representation thus far on the big screen. Not perfect, but it was the most fascinating look on the character yet on the big screen. I have expect great things from The Dark Knight.

Karol

The origin of Batman was never fully dealt with until Batman: Year One. Batman Begins borrowed heavily from it so I can't see how it has nothing to do with the source material.

don't you people get it, the source material is the original Batman, not some year one modern interpretation

Nevertheless, Joe, and I've read A LOT of Batman comics, BB was closer to the original character than Burton's Batman.

Karol

don't you people get it, the source material is the original Batman, not some year one modern interpretation

Well if you want the source material

Batman's origin is first presented in Detective Comics #33 in November 1939, and is later fleshed out in Batman #47. As these comics state, Bruce Wayne is born to Dr. Thomas Wayne and his wife Martha, two very wealthy and charitable Gotham City socialites. Bruce is brought up in Wayne Manor and its wealthy splendor and leads a happy and privileged existence until the age of eight, when his parents are killed by a small-time criminal named Joe Chill on their way home from the movie theater. Bruce Wayne swears an oath to rid the city of the evil that had taken his parents' lives. He engages in intense intellectual and physical training; however, he realizes that these skills alone would not be enough. "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot", Wayne remarks, "so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible..." As if responding to his desires, a bat suddenly flies through the window, inspiring Bruce to assume the persona of Batman

Which film interpretation is closer to the source material?

You're going to tell me Burton's film, where it's the Joker that killed Bruce's parents, is closer to the source?

so you're telling me an American of the late 30's and 40's is going to take up ninja training, from our sworn enemy, yeah thats believable. oh yeah thats closer to the source.

I don't believe Batman Begins takes place in the thirties and forties.

No, I don't believe it does at all.