The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

A score's foremost job is to compliment its' film yes, but that is not (or rather shouldn't) be the only thing it does. Whether or not the music is compelling or interesting on its' own is important too I think, and that is one area where Zimmer falls short for the most part.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of a score is to work in pair with the movie. I think Hans Zimmer is the only one that makes it a goal to make the score work on its own.

In what kind of twisted world are you living? No, seriously. That statement is so mindbending that the profound dumbness almost eludes, for it is too deep to grasp in full.

What is your problem? Must you make an argument out of everything? I'm just stating a thought. Do other composers actively think about the album presentation and whether the music stands on its own away from the film when writing it? I don't know, all I know is that Zimmer does.

Other composers don't need to worry about album presentations because they know their music will hold up on album. Because they don't look at film music as paint, they look at it as a painting.

I like that. Not sure what it means, but I like it.

The purpose of a score is to work in pair with the movie. I think Hans Zimmer is the only one that makes it a goal to make the score work on its own.

In what kind of twisted world are you living? No, seriously. That statement is so mindbending that the profound dumbness almost eludes, for it is too deep to grasp in full.

What is your problem? Must you make an argument out of everything? I'm just stating a thought. Do other composers actively think about the album presentation and whether the music stands on its own away from the film when writing it? I don't know, all I know is that Zimmer does.

So if you know nothing about this subject why are you talking about it?

This in no way validates your point... Zimmer is the only composer that thinks about music in an absolute way as well as a functional way... Try reading more about scores.

No one knows what a composer is thinking when writing a score, unless he/she blatantly states it in an interview.

So you need to be told everything?

Something are very obvious, likle the way John Williams arranges his album releases and has done for the last 30 years.

You have much to learn, but I'm not sure you realize that.

No one knows what a composer is thinking when writing a score, unless he/she blatantly states it in an interview.

So you need to be told everything?

Something are very obvious, likle the way John Williams arranges his album releases and has done for the last 30 years.

You have much to learn, but I'm not sure you realize that.

No I don't have to be told everything. Some things are obvious, but you can't get into the mind of a composer by solely looking at album releases.

The Jaws 25th anniversary album notes that Williams personally rearranged the order of the cues for a better listening experience. (Turns out it isn't a better listening experience, but the intention was there nonetheless.)

The few reviews (critic and audience) have been superb. This looks terrific.

I have yet to see a negative review.

the reviews have been so over the top wonderful one can only wonder if it can possibly live up to the hype.

The score is a continuation of 'Batman Begins', in some ways better, although that will be hard to swallow for filmmusic enthusiasts, since this time, the sound design has taken center.

This is actually not altogether uninteresting, since it now is pure atmosphere without a lilting Newton Howard romantic theme or 'Molossus' like tracks. This time, it's Nine-Inch-Nails all the way through, with brass clusters and somber string backing. It's as far removed from traditional film scoring as you can get, but fans of electronic music should have something here.

I'll warn every hardcore Williams fan though. :)

10 reviews, 0 negative, but that will change soon. it will get a negative review, all films do.

its supposed to have a very bleak ending, with tons of dead and dying, not happy at all.

I've read quite a few reviews that haven't been posted on RT yet. I have yet to read a negative review for this movie.

A lot of the more unconventional reviewers review films a bit later than the rest. They certainly don't review films early. Any film can be disliked on some ground, I'm sure.

Personally for me this movie will probably live up to the hype, but I don't know if it will for other people, namely those who didn't like Batman Begins.

its supposed to have a very bleak ending, with tons of dead and dying, not happy at all.

So?

just pointing it out, and noting that goes against conventional wisdom these days, it might well be a brave move.

Are those who didn't like Batman Begins looking forward to this one?

Morlock- who doesn't know anyone who didn't like Batman Begins

So?

just pointing it out, and noting that goes against conventional wisdom these days, it might well be a brave move.

I don't know how conventional the wisdom is now a days. Nihilism is certainly in.

A lot of the more unconventional reviewers review films a bit later than the rest. They certainly don't review films early. Any film can be disliked on some ground, I'm sure.

I do hope the movie gets some criticism. I really don't want a Batman movie that plays it too safe. It has too take some risks, which may not sit so well with some people.

Considering the film's darkness and subject matter, I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

From some of the spoilers I've heard, it definitely does get edgy. One point made an audience of reviewers audibly react.

Are those who didn't like Batman Begins looking forward to this one?

Morlock- who doesn't know anyone who didn't like Batman Begins

I didn't like it at first. It took a few viewings for me to really bond with it, and now I think it's an excellent film with some flaws.

I did take someone as a date to it, so it might have been why I didn't connect with it first time around.

Morlock, I believe you'll find that I am not a fan of the first movie, and I believe neither is Mark O.,

I don't think its a bad film its just sort of blah. Bale is a good Wayne and an inadequate Batman. I gave my dvd copy away. I can't even remember who was the villian or if there even was one other than cilliam murphy, oh wait, Oscar schindler was a villian, a very poor one, but I don't remember why he was bad.

I do remember thinking Nolan had no sense of how to construct an action sequence

Joe is correct. I found Begins to be not very interesting. I'm wasn't too sure about Bale as Batman, still have doubts. Top it off with a bad score and it just loses my attention.

However I am somewhat intrigued by the sequel.

pencil through the skull with the impact of say the Untouchables bat scene.

That has to be the understatement of the year. Heath Ledger's Joker is singlehandedly going to make this the movie of the year. Its a shame that the movie has to be surrounded by his tragic death.

10 reviews, 0 negative, but that will change soon. it will get a negative review, all films do.

Toy Story 2 managed a 100%. 121 reviews, all positive.

and yet I thought it was just boring as hell.

That has to be the understatement of the year. Heath Ledger's Joker is singlehandedly going to make this the movie of the year. Its a shame that the movie has to be surrounded by his tragic death.

I just hope Ledger and his performance (as great as it probably will be) doesn't overshadow everything else in the movie. It has a lot more going for it than just that.