The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly believe that Spider-Man 2 is at the top of the modern superhero pile (post 2000). Batman Begins is good, but flawed and somewhat forgettable. Hulk I like better than Begins.

A couple of critics I like are amongst the nay-sayers. Excellent. Means the movie might actually be as edgy as some have said (A movie can't be really edgy and universally loved).

Couldn't agree more, Morlock.

And some of the criticisms are really silly, like complaining the movie is not funny enough or that comic book movies should not take themselves seriously.

Nolan's Batman films just prove that Ang Lee's Hulk was ahead of its time.

no Ang lee should never be allowed in America again after the Hulk. I watched some of it on tv the other day, its awful

Spidey 3 and BB both were less than avg films

i honestly believe that Spider-Man 2 is at the top of the modern superhero pile (post 2000). Batman Begins is good, but flawed and somewhat forgettable. Hulk I like better than Begins.

I like SPIDER-MAN 2 a lot, but it loses points with the romance, as it doesn't work at all for me, and I don't feel like Peter should be pining over someone like MJ. I am a big fan of HULK though, and X2. I think BEGINS probably is at the top though. I hated it at first, but I grew to love it.

SPIDER-MAN 3, though... what a travesty.

Please feel free to trust me when I say that you can almost certainly trust the review found here, to be bang on target.

They gave Indy IV a mere 3 stars when many other printed publications were jumping all over the Indy bandwagon. Turns out they were pretty much right about Indy. Heck, they even dared to give Wall-E a rapturous 4 stars, out of 5.

Empire's standards have taken a dive of late (so much that I've stopped buying the mag), a sentiment echoed in their forums, but I'm willing to believe they got it right with TDK.

Of course, but since my opinion is correct, my remarks stand :P

But I thought we only had Joey to go to in order to know if we should like something or not.

Don't tell me there are now two people with 'quality' meters instead of opinions.

Where is all the Begins hate coming from? I thought it was terrific. My only real beefs are the "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" bit, and the score. For the most part it's great--the truest to the character that any live-action Batfilm has ever been, and it has some classic stuff in it, such as the alley interrogation with Flass. Pure Batman.

It's a great movie. The line reprises ("You never give up on me, do you?" etc.) bother me, and the final action sequence is a little stereotypical/special effects driven, but overall it's a very well made film.

Where is all the Begins hate coming from? I thought it was terrific. My only real beefs are the "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" bit, and the score. For the most part it's great--the truest to the character that any live-action Batfilm has ever been, and it has some classic stuff in it, such as the alley interrogation with Flass. Pure Batman.

I don't hate it, I just don't care for it all that much. I never read a comic and I grew up with Burton's movies, so BB was a bit bland for my tastes.

Of course, but since my opinion is correct, my remarks stand :|

But I thought we only had Joey to go to in order to know if we should like something or not.

Don't tell me there are now two people with 'quality' meters instead of opinions.

Geez, I was kidding. Pfft...

You do not have permission to use my name newbie, not until you have something of real value to say,

still waiting on that.

I don't really like Zimmer...but I DO like Newton Howard - as such, I'm going to the cd signing for this album in NYC today. :|

I was there! Where were you in line? I was first when the store opened, and like third in line for the signing.

You do not have permission to use my name newbie, not until you have something of real value to say,

Yeah, you would never have a 'quality meter' but a 'quality foot, inch or mile' :happybday:

You should try out for Last Comic Standing Luke!!!

I don't hate it, I just don't care for it all that much. I never read a comic and I grew up with Burton's movies, so BB was a bit bland for my tastes.

I hadn't read a comic until after I saw Begins, and I grew up with B:TAS. Hm.

still waiting on that.

My most sincere apologies.

What should I call you?

Oldbie?

Of course, but since my opinion is correct, my remarks stand :rolleyes:

still waiting on that.

Well at least you're not being a jerk about it.

:nono:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cine...ci_cinema_denby

All this ruckus is accompanied by pounding thuds on the soundtrack, with two veteran Hollywood composers (Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard) providing additional bass-heavy stomps in every scene, even when nothing is going on. At times, the movie sounds like two excited mattresses making love in an echo chamber.

I don't really like Zimmer...but I DO like Newton Howard - as such, I'm going to the cd signing for this album in NYC today. :rolleyes:

I was there! Where were you in line? I was first when the store opened, and like third in line for the signing.

I was in like the first 20 or so people. I was suprised by how friendly they were, especially Zimmer! I was really glad to be there. Haha, I didn't think you'd miss being there!

I don't really like Zimmer...but I DO like Newton Howard - as such, I'm going to the cd signing for this album in NYC today. :nono:

I was in like the first 20 or so people. I was suprised by how friendly they were, especially Zimmer! I was really glad to be there. Haha, I didn't think you'd miss being there!

Hmm, I don't recall seeing you. Did anyone ask you what you were waiting for? I had like 30 people come up and ask who we were all waiting for.

Hans Zimmer.

Who?

Hans Zimmer.

Ohhh, O.K. *walks away*

One little kid came up, and my brother was messing around with him, and the guy in front of us was like "If you go to the back of the line they'll give you $100." And then the kid was like "Wooaaahh" and ran away :rolleyes:

It was also quite annoying to watch the street hustlers asking random people if they watch comedy central.

But yeah, anyway, they were awesome. Hans was friendly and funny.

Yeah, I was with 3 of my friends and people kept on coming up to one of them in particular constantly asking why we were there. He wasn't even completely sure of how to explain it, he's just a Batman fan that I decided to drag along!

The Comedy Central thing really was annoying, it seemed like there was a rep every five feet. When we got on line there was one guy in particular that didn't leave us alone, he tried for a good five minutes.

My sister and her boyfriend were with me too and he ended up sitting down and falling asleep on the line. A group of Latinos stopped in front of us and started pointing and laughing about it. I didn't even notice until I heard my sister YELL "F*ck off!". The first thing that went through my mind at that point was "That did NOT just happen". There was then a very heated exchange of profanities till they walked away. I was really scared for a moment, as I told my sister "Telling a group of Latinos in NYC to 'f*ck off' is NOT a very good idea!".

Yeah, I try to just ignore the scary looking people.

A couple guys tried pulled us over when we were walking and one had a microphone. He's like wave to the camera, you're on live TV. The other guy was like wait a minute, and he has a headset and he counted down 3, 2, 1 and you're live. He made my brother hold up a CD.

We were like, do you think we're idiots? We're not tourists. There was no camera, the microphone the guy had obviously was just a prop, and the other guy just had a bluetooth headset on, which was off, and was talking to no one. They were probably ultimately trying to sell us the CD. We handed the CD back, but he was like no wait a minute, then we threw it at him and walked away.

Zimmer was very nice, much more personable that JNH was. While I was up there Howard seemed mostly interested in speaking to Zimmer and only acknowledged me when I said something to him directly. Zimmer, on the other hand, made a point to say something from the get-go.

While Zimmer was signing the cd of one of my friends his sharpie ran out of ink. He then literally TOSSED it away and yelled "broken!", then just started laughing. He was a fun guy from what I could see. I may not like everything he's written, but I'll never knock him as a person - he seems like a real quality guy.

When my brother handed over The Dark Knight, he said "This is a pirated copy." And when he handed him The Thin Red Line, he said "This is definitely a pirated copy, but I'll sign it anyway." :rolleyes:

I think the best was when my brother told him he was the greatest composer, to which Hans replied "Let me tell you about a couple of guys called Beethoven and Mozart."

Zimmer was very nice, much more personable that JNH was. While I was up there Howard seemed mostly interested in speaking to Zimmer and only acknowledged me when I said something to him directly. Zimmer, on the other hand, made a point to say something from the get-go.

While Zimmer was signing the cd of one of my friends his sharpie ran out of ink. He then literally TOSSED it away and yelled "broken!", then just started laughing. He was a fun guy from what I could see. I may not like everything he's written, but I'll never knock him as a person - he seems like a real quality guy.

That's cool. Guy sounds like a trip. Anyway, that's interesting to know how introverted JNH is. If that's true, a great deal of his music seems to reflect his personality.

Or maybe he just didn't want to be there :rolleyes:

I wonder if David Julyan was there in the crowd with a baseball bat.

I think the best was when my brother told him he was the greatest composer, to which Hans replied "Let me tell you about a couple of guys called Beethoven and Mozart."

You sure that wasn't you? :rolleyes:

That would have been a good place to mention Dark Knight is a better score than KOTCS ...