The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

I think the best was when my brother told him he was the greatest composer, to which Hans replied "Let me tell you about a couple of guys called Beethoven and Mozart."

You sure that wasn't you? :nono:

That would have been a good place to mention Dark Knight is a better score than KOTCS ...

This post proves you know nothing about me. The Dark Knight is the first Hans Zimmer score I have ever purchased.

I don't really like Zimmer...but I DO like Newton Howard - as such, I'm going to the cd signing for this album in NYC today. :rolleyes:

I was there! Where were you in line? I was first when the store opened, and like third in line for the signing.

I was in like the first 20 or so people. I was suprised by how friendly they were, especially Zimmer! I was really glad to be there. Haha, I didn't think you'd miss being there!

I have a picture of the line outside the store. See yourself anywhere in there?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, it was a JOKE. And not directed at you by the way.

Wait ... it's the first score you ever bought from Zimmer? Then how can you say I don't know enough Zimmer scores? As it is, I've bought more CDs from him than you then. Or do you own ... "other" copies?

Wait ... it's the first score you ever bought from Zimmer? Then how can you say I don't know enough Zimmer scores? As it is, I've bought more CDs from him than you then. Or do you own ... "other" copies?

Koray doesn't buy alot of his music, he gets it thru other methods.

Hans Zimmer is a nice guy, or at least he comes across that way. JNH strikes me as somewhat shy and withdrawn at times.

Koray doesn't buy alot of his music, he gets it thru other methods.

Mark, I own like 500 CD's. I buy all the music I want. For those of you that I thought knew me better, my brother is the crazy Hans Zimmer fan. He physically owns every single RCP score. We share the CD's we buy. He's the RCP fan, so I let him buy all those. I'm the JW fan, so he lets me buy all of his stuff.

owning 500+ cd's means that a good majority never get played, at some point you own to many.

go Japanese.

Of course, but since my opinion is correct, my remarks stand :|

But I thought we only had Joey to go to in order to know if we should like something or not.

Don't tell me there are now two people with 'quality' meters instead of opinions.

You do not have permission to use my name newbie, not until you have something of real value to say,

still waiting on that.

Well at least you're not being a jerk about it.

:nono:

your opinion adds no value, :nono: are you this colin kid? :beerchug:

I think the best was when my brother told him he was the greatest composer, to which Hans replied "Let me tell you about a couple of guys called Beethoven and Mozart."

Your brother doesn't sound all that, um, mentally sound.

I just got back from a screening of The Dark Knight. My how this franchise has changed in the last twenty years. What a dark movie. Overall I thought it was very good, but not terrific and definitely a little too long. But they should just go ahead and give Ledger the AA posthumously, he was just.. perfect.

Also, why the need for two composers? I never understood that.

Your brother doesn't sound all that, um, mentally sound.

Why? Because he thinks Hans Zimmer is the greatest film composer of all time? It's an opinion, and he probably knows more about film than a lot of people here.

True, though it does have a couple classic Zimmer moments (like 1:22 of "Trapped Like Carrots").

It is one of the worst CDs in terms of track titles, though.

geeks are already in line around the world waiting to watch Batman Begins Again. Gotta be the 1st person in the theatre, at least in their time zone

geeks are already in line around the world waiting to watch Batman Begins Again. Gotta be the 1st person in the theatre, at least in their time zone

I think calling anyone "geeks" or "nerds" should be out of all our vocabularies, considering which message board we frequent.

I believe the key word is "film" He said film composer.

That's also a stretch, given the 50s and 60s.

Second thought ... why would Zimmer reply to the compliment about being the greatest film composer with a comment about Mozart or Beethoven? :blink:

I think calling anyone "geeks" or "nerds" should be out of all our vocabularies, considering which message board we frequent.

I think its a good word, geeks, that what batman fans are, and really does the word offend you, and if so why?

My friends who are going to see it tonight at midnight are self professed geeks, it doesn't bother them.

Im a John Williams geek, an military aircraft geek, a shark geek, a football(real) fan, a cooking geek. embrace it Vaderbait

btw, what makes a review negative or positive.

When I read Newsweeks Dark Knight review by David Ansen, I take it as a negative review, and yet its considered positive.

Also I've seen reviews that give a film 2-1/2 stars out of four be considered positive, which I agree, while others giving the same rating are considered negative.

That's also a stretch, given the 50s and 60s.

Second thought ... why would Zimmer reply to the compliment about being the greatest film composer with a comment about Mozart or Beethoven? ;)

Maybe he ment Andreas Mozart and Dieter Beethoven, his new colleagues at RPC studio or something? :blink:

According to the quote you gave he made no mention of Zimmer being the best film composer. He said he was the greatest composer ever, which is worrisome.

According to the quote you gave he made no mention of Zimmer being the best film composer. He said he was the greatest composer ever, which is worrisome.

I don't remember his exact words red rabbit. I'm not giving any direct quotes.

How much better is a movie seen on an IMAX screen?

I've never seen a theatrical release and I'm wondering if its worth the extra 3 bucks a person for matinee prices.

Chances are it'll be a bit less grainy and a fair bit sharper. Can't say I've done a side-by-side comparison. The print's a lot bigger though, which should benefit image quality.

Also, if you're thinking of seeing The Dark Knight in IMAX, there were a few scenes actually filmed on IMAX negative, meaning those scenes won't be a blow-up of the original 35mm but are actually as close as you'll get to the original resolution (i.e. the same).

Well, I was just invited to see TDK at the midnight premiere, so I guess I'll be going. Even though I only thought BB was okay (under average, as Joe would call it).

Only 3 action scenes were filmed in IMAX. There really isn't a big difference. TDK on blu-ray will hold the same experience as the IMAX screenings.

you didn't just say that, yeah blue ray will give me the experience of a 70 foot screen.

6 sequences were filmed in IMAX, and they do have a better picture quality as well as fill up the entire screen (which standard films do not).

I just got spoiled on IMDB. At least I think I was spoiled. God I hope it was a troll, because I'll be disappointed if this thing I read happens. What a damn twist spoiled... serves me right for going there mere hours before seeing the movie.

You go sit in a Dome IMAX, and come back and tell me Blue-Ray has anything on it. IMAX is the future of cinema, and it is the only thing cinema has on home theater.

You go sit in a Dome IMAX, and come back and tell me Blue-Ray has anything on it. IMAX is the future of cinema, and it is the only thing cinema has on home theater.

A quote from DigitalBits:

"If you can, see the film in IMAX format, because it really gives the action scenes that little extra punch when suddenly the image expands to fill the complete IMAX screen (something we hear the Blu-ray will replicate)."

I just got spoiled on IMDB. At least I think I was spoiled. God I hope it was a troll, because I'll be disappointed if this thing I read happens. What a damn twist spoiled... serves me right for going there mere hours before seeing the movie.

I honestly pity you, spoilers suck, especially when you've made it this far. :(

At least a film like Indy 4 wasn't spoiled for you.

The ending he talks about was very expected by myself. That's what filmmakers usually do to make the point

about the sacrifices a masked hero has to endure.

I put the above in spoiler tags since I find the hint alone is revealing.

I've seen it!

I'm just spouting off everything that comes to mind and then going to bed, so this review is less than complete. First off, it was much much better than BB, which I disliked.

Ledger was fantastic, he WILL be nominated for Best Supporting Actor, and he may win. His makeup deserves an Oscar too, it was a big part of his sucess.

It was the most thought-provoking and intense film I've seen all summer (I've only seen 3). If the Spidey films were a stepping stone from the classic hero who always gets the girl, always saves the day, and always lives happily ever after, TDK was in the vein of Spidey but MUCH more intense. The fact that Margaret was killed was something you would NEVER see in other superhero films.

Even the dilemmas were intense. It was not just a matter of getting their in time, it was a matter of decision of morals (I'm thinking about the wonderfully brutal boat sequence).

So all in all, a sucess. This film is definetly NOT a masterpiece, as some have claimed, but it is very good.

Oh, and the part you mentioned Koray, was really unexpected and brutal.

4/5 stars (after a first viewing--I need to let it sink in, it could go up or down).

Just for the record:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a better film than The Dark Knight.

I've seen it!

I'm just spouting off everything that comes to mind and then going to bed, so this review is less than complete. First off, it was much much better than BB, which I disliked.

Ledger was fantastic, he WILL be nominated for Best Supporting Actor, and he may win. His makeup deserves an Oscar too, it was a big part of his sucess.

It was the most thought-provoking and intense film I've seen all summer (I've only seen 3). If the Spidey films were a stepping stone from the classic hero who always gets the girl, always saves the day, and always lives happily ever after, TDK was in the vein of Spidey but MUCH more intense. The fact that Margaret was killed was something you would NEVER see in other superhero films.

Even the dilemmas were intense. It was not just a matter of getting their in time, it was a matter of decision of morals (I'm thinking about the wonderfully brutal boat sequence).

So all in all, a sucess. This film is definetly NOT a masterpiece, as some have claimed, but it is very good.

Oh, and the part you mentioned Koray, was really unexpected and brutal.

4/5 stars (after a first viewing--I need to let it sink in, it could go up or down).

Just for the record:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a better film than The Dark Knight.

Of course it was - it had John Williams music in it :(