The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it!

Just for the record:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a better film than The Dark Knight.

The previews for The Dark Knight are better than KOTCS. Even I have to admit this film is receiving so much praise that there is no way it could be worse than IJ's snoozefest.

I've seen it!

Just for the record:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a better film than The Dark Knight.

The previews for The Dark Knight are better than KOTCS. Even I have to admit this film is receiving so much praise that there is no way it could be worse than IJ's snoozefest.

The Dark Knight was one of the top ten movies I've ever seen. I love Indy, but the Dark Knight blew it out of the water. And yes, even the terrible, terrible score worked well in the movie. It was....functional. Especially the situation with Harvey Dent at the end of the movie with Gordon and Batman, damn!

I might wait 'till August to see this. I hate fighting packed cinema crowds where there's the great risk I might have to sit at the very front.

:shakehead:

then go early

Apparently, TDK broke the record for midnight opening. 17 million and still counting.

Well done. I'm seeing it later today in IMAX. :shakehead:

Apparently, TDK broke the record for midnight opening. 17 million and still counting.

I thought I felt the shockwaves of "orgasms" from millions of fanboys/fangirls at about midnight. :shakehead:

wish Merkel would post a link, I haven't found anything about Midnight yet.

:shakehead:

I'm predicting nominations for Ledger and cinematography. Maybe something for sound. I don't think it will get one for make-up, either way it doesn't matter because Benjamin Button is gonna win that hands down.

yeah but you foolishy said in another thread that B&R was better than alot of films even though you were quite wrong as Indy 4 is here.

yeah but you foolishy said in another thread that B&R was better than alot of films even though you were quite wrong as Indy 4 is here.
Batman Forever has always been considered to be a much better film than Batman & Robin, when in all honesty, it's also much better than a handful of other films in the genre, such as Superman III, Supergirl, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, X-Men: The Last Stand, Spider-Man 3, 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer being the top contenders.

I was still referring to Batman Forever at that point Joey.

I'll carry this over from the last movie you watched thread.

The Dark Knight (****)

I'm not going to go into too much detail, because you have to experience it yourself. I'll say that the score works pretty much flawlessly within the film. It's a shame so many of you severely bashed it based on a couple first listens. Hell, I even thought it was "meh" when I did a first listen. There is actually very little music in the movie. The cue that makes the most appearances is Joker's theme, and when it kicks in, you prepare for something to happen, much like JW's Jaws. Yeah, that's right, I just made that comparison.

It's a shame Ledger is no longer with us, there would have been much more options with a sequel. I would actually be fine without another film, no one should try and top this masterpiece.

It's easily the best comic book adaptation ever made. It's definitely one of the best crime dramas ever made. It's a stretch to include it in the best movies ever made, but it does have one of the finest character performances in a movie.

"A couple of first listens"? When I listen to a score several time to get a full impression of it, it's not a "first listen" anymore!

I've ONLY seen the bank job prologue, and there, the score was less than fitting.

About the Jaws comparison; assume for a minute you haven't heard a note of the score before watching the film, and you go in, you're watching the first sequence, you hear the music - would you instantly connect it with the Joker? And if you did, would you have a specific mood connected to it? I think very few people would.

Now if you watch the first sequence in Jaws, and you hear the two notes, not only does it connect with the movement of the shark, but it also defines the "character" of the shark as well as a large part of the film, not to mention it conveys an amount of terror Joker's music can't dream of.

That's one of many major reasons why the Jaws comparison is like comparing a Da Vinci with Bob Ross.

Just woke up (went to the Midnight last night) and just have to say, the movie was one of the best films I have ever seen. I have seen a wide variety of films, including the early Edison films all the way to recent classics and The Dark Knight is there among the best. The story does not feel forced for even a second and every actor delivers and an A+ performance. Christopher Nolan better come back for the third, because he is without a doubt in my eyes the best filmmaker alive today.

"A couple of first listens"? When I listen to a score several time to get a full impression of it, it's not a "first listen" anymore!

I've ONLY seen the bank job prologue, and there, the score was less than fitting.

About the Jaws comparison; assume for a minute you haven't heard a note of the score before watching the film, and you go in, you're watching the first sequence, you hear the music - would you instantly connect it with the Joker? And if you did, would you have a specific mood connected to it? I think very few people would.

Now if you watch the first sequence in Jaws, and you hear the two notes, not only does it connect with the movement of the shark, but it also defines the "character" of the shark as well as a large part of the film, not to mention it conveys an amount of terror Joker's music can't dream of.

That's one of many major reasons why the Jaws comparison is like comparing a Da Vinci with Bob Ross.

Yes, when you first hear the theme, you connect it with the Joker. The mood is all there, it defines the character, and serves as a superb signal. It conveys terror, because when it kicks in you're anticipating a brutal kill.

That ... doesn't sound right coming from you :|

True, but he is right. As soon as you hear that screeching noise you know that the Joker is about to cause some hell. The theater I went to had a lot of problems (started 20 minutes late, picture flipped for a few minutes) so the experience was ruined a little, but the film itself more than made up. I just finished listening to the soundtrack and while I don't like it as much as Begins, I don't think it is terrible as it does work well in the film. Now all we need is for someone to figure out the proper order of these tracks and we'll be set (Why So Serious?) will be a tough one of course.

I agree. I wouldn't have known that one suspended note was the Joker's Theme had I not read this board earlier. I would have assumed it was just one note to bring tension.

Still, after seeing the film I am rather interested in getting the soundtrack, some of the music sounded very good (especially the piano theme when

Bruce kissed Margaret

among other parts). And I liked piece right before the End Credits, sounded like "Che Valiers De Sangreal."

I think i'm reading some overhype here.

The same kind I would write if it was Star Wars movie, if you take the hint...

You'd be wrong. Everyone calls every new movie the greatest ever, but in this case, I think it's true that it's one of the top 10 ever, objectively. I'd be inclined to put it in the Top 5 myself.

I remember when the Joker casting was released and (almost) everyone on the board was saying that "Oh Heath will never live up to the magnificent portrayal of the Joker that Nicholson did!"

I remember when the Joker casting was released and (almost) everyone on the board was saying that "Oh Heath will never live up to the magnificent portrayal of the Joker that Nicholson did!"

Thouse comparisons were always unfounded and quite ridiculous anyway though.

Nicholson's Joker was based on the 80's characterisation. He pulled it off.

Ledger's Joker was based on the 40's characterisation. He most certainly pulled it off.

Only obvious fanboys continue to keep making these same tried and useless claims against the given portrayals, they really need to get out more and stop being so incredibly childish and juvenile against anything or anybody that happens to follow Batman outside of Nolan's pictures.

It will be a big injustice if he isn't nominated for an Oscar. He is practically perfect, but again, this was a character that he pretty much crafted himself. But really, everyone is great in the movie. It's as much as an ensemble piece as it is a classic hero vs. villain story.

Rabbit--just got back from seeing it. :|

After the movie ended, and me and my 2 friends were walking out. One said "Man, f*ck Jack Nicholson." I got pretty mad at that and called him an ignorant, biased idiot. He asks "Why?" I say "What's wrong with Jack Nicholson?" Then he says, "He's no Heath Ledger." The fact that he's been calling The Dark Knight the best movie of all time before it even came out just proved to me he is the ultimate fanboy.

The fact that he's been calling The Dark Knight the best movie of all time before it even came out just proved to me he is the ultimate fanboy.

You said that you hated The Happening before you saw it.

The fact that he's been calling The Dark Knight the best movie of all time before it even came out just proved to me he is the ultimate fanboy.

You said that you hated The Happening before you saw it.

Did I? Don't recall that whatsoever. I actually remembering saying I would probably like it, which I did not.

Just saw the movie.

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

Definitely the best movie of the year. Quite possibly of the decade.

I'm still in awe.

This blows every other comic/superhero movie completely out the water!

From what I've seen it definitely does, with a possible exception of Superman '78.

From what I've seen it definitely does, with a possible exception of Superman '78.

No, it's even better than that. Heath Ledger successfully made the perfect film Joker, exactly what you would want to see from the Joker. The only bad thing about the movie is that there is no chance for Heath to return and perform that kind of perfection again. Nobody could possibly step into those shoes without it being a mockery or parody of what he did.

So, I have a question, not having seen the movie yet. Is it distracting having a different actress play Rachel Dawes? Which is the better Rachel?

Well it was a bit of a head scratcher at the time, since he usually came across as a bland blond teen heart throb with limited range. So I guess he had the... last laugh.

So, I have a question, not having seen the movie yet. Is it distracting having a different actress play Rachel Dawes? Which is the better Rachel?

Actually, I barely even noticed. She slipped into the role quite well.

According to estimates, The Dark Knight has broken the opening day box office record, grossing an estimate 66 million on the first day alone.

http://www.variety.com/VR1117989204.html

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/80684

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/dark...d-out-sold-out/

Wouldn't be surprised. This is the first movie that I've ever failed to see on the first attempt due to being sold out. And the theater was still packed on the second try.

I actually found the movie to be a little underwhelming given the hype. I like it more than Begins, but I liked Begins more on first impression. It is a fine film, but its far from a masterpiece. Ledger's performance is worthy of all the praise, characters are wonderfully well rounded and there are two wonderful sequences in the film. However, the film also suffers from uneven pacing, some odd editing and a torrid score. Nolan still proves utterly inept in staging and all out action sequence. All the action bits had hardly any visual logic to them. That said, this movie met my expectations by being slightly superior to Batman Begins (mainly due to the strength of Ledger's performance alone) but fell far short of my hopes that it would be the genre's Goodfellas to The Godfather of Superman: The Movie. Even within its own subgenre of a 'serious' philosophical comic book adaptation, it is trumped by the better made V for Vendetta.