The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was Goldenthal's score as well.

Nice clip. I have pretty high expectations. I fear the film itself might not live up to them. Not that there is any indication of it. Yet.

Karol

The first clip is from the Opening Scene, cool. I hope the whole track isn't like that, though. Not very listenable.

Damn.. this may be the glorious "One Note theme" of Joker wow!!

Doesn't sound impressive. Where are the new themes or fully developed Batman theme? I don't hear any promise of it in the samples.

I kind of sort of hear a little bit of what I THINK is the Batman theme...but it doesn't sound any more developed than before.

Basically, it sounds like the Dark Knight will be the same music from Begins, but with different drums beating in the background and no obnoxious bat sounds.

I'm still sort of intrigued....but my hopes aren't very high. It'll be better than Begins but that's not saying much.

That's my thought as well.

Just judging from the clips of "Why So Serious" Joker's theme sounds like noise, and not in a good way. That entire 9 minute track may be the one that was used in the prologue released for this film.

That's my thought as well.

Just judging from the clips of "Why So Serious" Joker's theme sounds like noise, and not in a good way. That entire 9 minute track may be the one that was used in the prologue released for this film.

I wouldn't be surprised. Which would make this album pretty much ambient noise.

Especially after listening to "Agents of Chaos," I can't help but think we've gotten Batman Begins, Vol. 2 - Unreleased, Unused and Remixed Material." And if that thing is the Joker theme...I'm disappointed thus far. Then again, we are hearing 30 second clips out of pretty long tracks. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment, but I'm not expecting much. At least what we've seen of the film looks far better than what we've heard of the score.

I'm looking forward to everything about The Dark Knight. Are we getting any fantastic Oscar material this year? I can't think of anything, aside from Benjamin Button and Defiance. So perhaps TDK will be the best film of the year.

I'm looking forward to everything about The Dark Knight. Are we getting any fantastic Oscar material this year? I can't think of anything, aside from Benjamin Button and Defiance. So perhaps TDK will be the best film of the year.

I doubt it. Unless it's some SFX category, I don't think a Batman movie would ever get noticed, even if it WAS the best movie. Some obscure artistic movie that comes out in October will get it.

I'm looking forward to what JNH does with Dent

As expected that material sounded the best out of the soundtrack previews.

I'm definitely excited for this thing, but calling it the best of the year when it isn't even out yet is a big stretch. That said, I am predicting it to be the best of the summer blockbusters.

From these clips it just sounds like a re-hash of Batman Begins. I hope not because I was really hoping for a complex score this time around. That "Joker Theme" better not be just 9 minutes of noise, because the Joker hasn't really ever had a theme, even in Elfman's score (I suppose the closest thing was the "Beautiful Dreamer" moments).

Speaking of Danny Elfman, the beginning of the "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" clip sounds a little bit like Elfman's "Descent Into Mystery" from the original Batman. Whether intentional or not it does sound pretty cool, but we all already knew that Zimmer can write action cues. It's thematic complexity/simplicity where he receives the most flak, which shouldn't be a problem on these Batman films because he has James Newton Howard to help him.

This is going to be the second Batman score in a row I won't buy.

you are a wise man, why waste your money on zimmer.

I wish someone out there would hire a bombastic film composer like David Arnold to try and make real music popular again. Zimmer and Co. will continue to have a stranglehold until someone is bold enough to go with quality over quantity/cheapness/shortest time of composition.

I wish someone out there would hire a bombastic film composer like David Arnold to try and make real music popular again. Zimmer and Co. will continue to have a stranglehold until someone is bold enough to go with quality over quantity/cheapness/shortest time of composition.

Zimmer and Co., when pushed, are able to compose something worthy. For example Klaus Badelt, though on its own thesedays, is able to come up with The Promise (one of the best scores of the year) and Time Machine without resorting to his PotC sounds.

Basically, almost all the themes are his (about 6 minutes of music), the rest is the team of MV people headed by Badelt, orchestrating the ideas into the rest of the movie. (illustrated on the bonus disc of the recent PoTC release, which has the first piece of music written for the film by Zimmer).

Good omen. But the timing is very strange.....isn't it only coming out in like 3 weeks?

Screenings are now being held for industry people.

It's still very strange. And not very good, IMO. Jumping the gun on film reviews used to be quite a problematic thing, and with good reason.

Well if the film does turn out to be as good as that review in Rolling Stones makes it seem then I may have to rethink my decision and go see it.

It's still very strange. And not very good, IMO. Jumping the gun on film reviews used to be quite a problematic thing, and with good reason.

Granted, but this is the first official review. I wouldn't expect a whole flood of them start rushing in now.

That is precisely the problem. One review comes out and sets the tone. An early review by an established critic is not healthy for discource, not to mention extremely unpopular in the critical world.

I think there's a new TV spot. The music sounds new, but unfortunately, it sounds like noise being used as music, much like the first score. If it's not actually from the first score.

Well, frankly, I only got excited for Indy 4 shortly before the soudntrack got leaked. I thought it was strange to go back and make a new one. I was more "intrigued" with that one as well, until I was amazed by the score.

But The Dark Knight, I've been waiting for this since the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins. The only movies I really looked forward to this year were Cloverfield, Indy 4, Dark Knight, and Quantum of Solace. I might see Hancock, but those ones are the only ones I plan on watching this year, unless something surprising pops up.

But The Dark Knight, I've been waiting for this since the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins.

You're like my friend, who is going ape poo for this movie.

Well, hopefully it's as amazing as the reviews are hyping it to be so I don't look stupid, right? :lol:

AICN posted a review. I only skimmed the very positive review, but I did notice this:

"The score by James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer is one of the year’s best, with the Joker’s themes coming across like razors being dragged across harpsichord strings."

Interesting.

I got my ticket for the midnight showing today.

wow, you PAID for a ticket. :nopity:

sorry I couldn't resist.

Dark Horizons pre-review:

I got to see "The Dark Knight" at a screening in Los Angeles on Friday and while I can't officially review the film just yet - lets just say that the hype is right, this is a masterpiece.

It really isn't a comic book movie, this feels more like a great Michael Mann movie - literally a film of "Heat" calibre

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080630j.php

IGN - 5/5

It isn't an overstatement to call The Dark Knight the most sophisticated and ambitious work of its kind. Superior to all three Spider-Man installments and even its amazing predecessor in terms of conceptualization, writing, acting, and direction, Nolan's follow-up to Batman Begins is a dark, complex and disturbing film, not the least of which because it grafts its heroics onto the blueprint of actual reality rather than that of spandex-clad supermen. And while such a distinction may make little difference to those already eagerly anticipating the return of the caped crusader, suffice it to say that The Dark Knight qualifies as the first official comic book adaptation that truly succeeds in being a great artistic achievement in its own right.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/884/884876p1.html

Also, Kevin Smith gave his initial thoughts

Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that’s not an overstatement). It’s the “Godfather II” of comic book films and three times more earnest than “Batman Begins”

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/29/...nd-miri-photo/

The reviews have been crazy, especially IGN's. They are practically calling it the best movie of the year.

After everyone called Spider-Man 2 the best superhero film of all time, I'm not too invested in critics' reviews of comic book movies.