The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

Smith is probably the most credible of the bunch. I generally like his outlook on other people's movies.

funny I though Kevin Smith is the least credible of the bunch, he makes lousy movies the kids like and has zero talent.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After everyone called Spider-Man 2 the best superhero film of all time, I'm not too invested in critics' reviews of comic book movies.

Very true.

But I'm still excited about it

After everyone called Spider-Man 2 the best superhero film of all time, I'm not too invested in critics' reviews of comic book movies.

Very true.

But I'm still excited about it

True, but really, after seeing all the previews and whatnot, I think I'm more inclined to trust them this time around. I mean, everything so far has been amazing, and all we're waiting for is SOMEONE to tell us this sucks, or is a let-down, and that's not happening (yet anyways). In fact, I haven't seen a review that was anything less than glowing. I haven't even read a single even slightly negative thing about this movie. "Masterpiece" is what I've seen tossed around the most.

I never heard Spiderman 2 called a masterpiece.

I never heard Spiderman 2 called a masterpiece.

I heard it quite often back then, too. But mind you, saying that back then wasn't saying much.

I think TDK will be superior to Begins. What I'm also sure of is that it will have interesting and compelling characters. Where Nolan failed in Begins was in providing good action to top it off. Begins just did not have any signature moments for me, making it somewhat forgettable in a way. Oh, and I'm sure the score will be as crappy as the first judging from the samples.

It zimmer with JNH having to sit back and be a yes man.

From Tracksounds interview with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard:

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD (speaking of the 'one note' joker theme): It knocked my socks off! I have to say that it really made me jealous when I heard it. You'll understand when you hear it.

From Tracksounds interview with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard:
JAMES NEWTON HOWARD (speaking of the 'one note' joker theme): It knocked my socks off! I have to say that it really made me jealous when I heard it. You'll understand when you hear it.

or this...

HANS: You heard the Joker Suite? I don't think anybody has done anything to match this in a Hollywood blockbuster.

:|

Hans: something that occurred to me. I have a feeling that out there in the world, there are people waiting for James and me to "come to our senses" and stop this dark nonsense with the iconic two-note thing and write a happy jolly theme like the old Batman. You know, like the Danny Elfman one. It ain't gonna happen. Because this is not the world we're in. This is not the character we're doing. It's not the movies we're doing. They just need to get over that. For our Batman, it would just be wrong.

As much as I like certain scores of his, I hate when ge goes philosophical. It usually ends up with suck-a_s music...

Hans: something that occurred to me. I have a feeling that out there in the world, there are people waiting for James and me to "come to our senses" and stop this dark nonsense with the iconic two-note thing and write a happy jolly theme like the old Batman. You know, like the Danny Elfman one. It ain't gonna happen. Because this is not the world we're in. This is not the character we're doing. It's not the movies we're doing. They just need to get over that. For our Batman, it would just be wrong.

This is a true statement. Comic book scores are the easiest thing to write. Hans said f**k the process and decided to do something his own way. Other than Batman Begins, every superhero score sounds pretty much the same.

This is a true statement. Comic book scores are the easiest thing to write. Hans said f**k the process and decided to do something his own way. Other than Batman Begins, every superhero score sounds pretty much the same.

And Batman Begins sounds like Zimmer crap. :)

But anyway, Elfman's theme is 'happy jolly'? What the hell?

No Batman theme has been "happy", unless you count the Adam West one. Elliot Goldenthal's always struck as much more heroic though, as opposed to Elfman's and Shirley Walker's.

Other than Batman Begins, every superhero score sounds pretty much the same.
It is. Happy jolly is Elfman's style.

What the hell?

I agree with Neimodian. It's okay and all when Zimmer does what he does, but when he starts talking like his latest score is some sort of poetic contruct of Goethe- qualities, he's just not believable. Because it ends in the same old, same old anyway.

It is. Happy jolly is Elfman's style.

I think Elfman's score is darker than Begins. Begins was just...recycled noise. And the second Burton movie is probably darker than any other Batman movie to date.

I agree with Neimodian. It's okay and all when Zimmer does what he does, but when he starts talking like his latest score is some sort of poetic contruct of Goethe- qualities, he's just not believable. Because it ends in the same old, same old anyway.

I think that happy jolly is the wrong term for it. Operatic would be more appropriate. But I think that Zimmer's point is valid, even if his way of expressing it was a bit...strange. Like many of Zimmer's theories about his own scores, I doubt this one will be as grand as he says it is. But I like the concept of a lot of what they talk about. And Zimmer has shown how relatively unimpressive material he wrote could be expanded upon and made far better in successive films (with the PoTC movies, where each score is leaps and bounds better than the previous one). And I do believe both men's enthusiasm about the film, which never hurts.

I've read tens of reviews alreay, and they are not only positive, but extraordinary gushing, with no exception.

I really want to lower my expectations, but it's getting harder.

This is literally a movie I've waited my whole life to see.

You know, I wish Zimmer would do what he says he is doing, and write something different for these movies. They deserve it. I honostly liked the lack of 'cool' action scenes in the first one. It is, so far, by far my favorite recent revival of a comic superhero into a movie. It felt like it had more heart. But the score sounded so recycled. I really think there are times when more of a minimalistic approach would have been great. It would have fit the different style of movie-making, and made it stand out musically. Instead, the movie stands out in every way except music.

I'm curious enough to give these a listen, to see if Zimmer and JNH's comments ring true or if the music will sound exactly like I expect it to.

Only three tracks available, and not too long. Though I actually like the sample from 'I'm Not A Hero' and 'Aggressive Expansion'. I do not like what I'm hearing of 'Why So Serious....but these are just samples. Mark, I'm sure they sound just like you'd think.

This clip of Joker's theme sounds more like actual music than the shorter one that was released. So that's sort of a plus.

This clip of Joker's theme sounds more like actual music than the shorter one that was released. So that's sort of a plus.

After the whole 9 minutes it may really start resemble some music, you know.

The series hasn't been "revamped"! Where do you get that from? Batman is still Batman, and all characters are the same, and so is the Joker.

Nolan's films have a different tone (that I adore by the way), but the characters are the same, and that music doesn't adequately represent the Joker.

I have no problems with a composer embracing Batman with a different sound (Goldenthal), but at least the characters should be properly represented within that stylistic frame, and this is not the case here.

I'm not a hero sounds slightly better. Still has irritating soudn effects and whatnot, but at least it develops unlike any music from Begins.

And the Joker's theme is just an electronic crashing noise? That's not brilliant, it's a coked out DJ in a trance.

The official site for the soundtrack is now online. You can hear some extended clips of some of the tracks:

http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/thedarkknight/

This actually sounds pretty good.

The series hasn't been "revamped"! Where do you get that from? Batman is still Batman, and all characters are the same, and so is the Joker.

Nolan's films have a different tone (that I adore by the way), but the characters are the same, and that music doesn't adequately represent the Joker.

I have no problems with a composer embracing Batman with a different sound (Goldenthal), but at least the characters should be properly represented within that stylistic frame, and this is not the case here.

Uh, how can you say that without having seen the film? No, the characters are not the same - is Bale's Batman the same as West's Batman? Let's wait and see how this score complements Ledger's Joker.

Oh, so why is this being released on LP? That's pretty surprising. I knew soundtracks were still being released on LPs sporadically about ten years ago, but...

Uh, how can you say that without having seen the film?

Because the Joker is the Joker, which means there are certain intangibles about his character. And if these aren't present, Nolan will have missed the subject.

Uh, how can you say that without having seen the film?

Because the Joker is the Joker, which means there are certain intangibles about his character. And if these aren't present, Nolan will have missed the subject.

Like I said, stop thinking in the past. Joker is not the Joker, he is different now, for the better.

You are clueless in the literary department.

Everywayically.

One reviewer said razors against the strings of something.

Yes...razor sharp TURDS!

The sustained single-note siren version I like, it captures the madness of the joker excellently.

Apart from that...it's blah. And everything else sounds like a complete rehash of BB (which I actually did enjoy in film and on album). No development what so ever. But they are samples....

All in all though, I would have prefered something more like the Carpenter/Morricone version of "The Thing" theme for the Joker.

Listen here:

(Up to 4:21).

The electronics would fit in to the established soundscape nicely...the organs would be awesome, and it would be helluva lot more introspectivally unsettling than the single note sirenish effect.

I have a feeling that "Why So Serious" (and probably a majority of the score) will work better in the film than on the album. Batman Begins certainly did for the most part.

I'm not liking these clips at all at all. I didn't like the first one, save for some of JNH's material, and while it probably works great in the movie it really sounds like Zimmer's dominating again.