The OFFICIAL The Dark Knight thread

Beowulf

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not hypothetical as it actually says "I'm Not A Hero" written by Mel Wesson. :lol:

Anyways, forgetting petty grammatical mistakes, the article said that Zimmer and Howard composed 60-70% of the music. I don't know what the other people could have done with the remaining 40%, save write it.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing Zimmer, I'm just rebuting the claim that he writes all of his music.

I'm not saying he always writes all of his music. When it says Music composed by Hans Zimmer, except "Track name" by "Random composer," that is when other people write music.

I thought I worded it fine, but I was saying that there is none of that in The Dark Knight CD.

I'm not saying he always writes all of his music. When it says Music composed by Hans Zimmer, except "Track name" by "Random composer," that is when other people write music.

Except when they're not mentioned.

They are always mentioned. I don't know why you just can't believe that he writes his own music. Sometimes it's not a specific track, but if there are other composers that have actually written music, they are given the proper credit.

They are always mentioned. I don't know why you just can't believe that he writes his own music. Sometimes it's not a specific track, but if there are other composers that have actually written music, they are given the proper credit.

Are you sure? When 30 composers write one minute of music it can be difficult to straighten out who gets what note.

I know for a fact that not all contributors are given credit. And they are rarely given the correct credit, just bunched into the 'additional music by' category (and it's ilk).

Listening to "Agent of Chaos" :D I love this cue.

I like that cue personally. It recycles well a cue from the last film which I never liked but does it better plus it has that action theme really quiet in the background which I never liked either but enjoyed in this cue.

• 1 month later...

I'm still disappointed that they killed Harvey Dent. After watching the DVD I feel his character was much more interesting and Eckhart's performance might actually be stronger than Ledger's.

I'm still disappointed that they killed Harvey Dent. After watching the DVD I feel his character was much more interesting and Eckhart's performance might actually be stronger than Ledger's.

Does he fall off a ledge like Tommy Lee Jones?

A lot of my friends feel that Harvey's actually alive. I thought he died too

They've all said he was dead, but I'm not sure I believe it. Nolan is a careful filmmaker, and there were so many allusions (including a direct reference to "a fall from this height won't kill me") as to make it sort of a plot hole if he is not truly dead.

I don't want to restart this discussion again because we already did this to death over the summer as to whether or not he died. I think it's obvious he died, I believe Eckhart said he died and it would be dumb to use the plot device of "killing" two different major characters within one film only to pull the "suprise they ain't dead" routine.

I agree, Mark. It will seem forced if Two-Face returns.

I really don't think so. It's more likely it'd play exactly into his story arc. But I agree, he's probably dead, I just make the point that it becomes sort of a plot hole that nobody but Dent would die from a height like that, and that Batman would be fine from the same fall.

No, Dent has to be dead. You guys seem to forget that it is necessary to the resolution of the movie that Harvey be dead because then the Joker wouldn't completely lose, and seeing it is unlikely the Joker will return, I find it unlikely.

I don't understand the trend that almost all modern superhero comic book movies have of killing off their villains by the end of the flick

But that's looking at it from a Hollywood mentality: always looking at the sequel. It's that kind of thinking that put Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Jim Carrey in Gotham.

In terms of killing the villains, yes it's stupid, and it's very rarely justified (TDK is a big exception). However, it's just the continuation of the Hollywood model. The good guy kills the evil bad guy, the audience applauds. Which is funny as it usually contradicts the hero's character (such as Burton's BATMAN). But the comic book films are usually made up of patchworks of comic stories. SPIDER-MAN for instance, the ending was taken from Amazing Spider-Man #122, where Peter seeks revenge on the Goblin for murdering Gwen Stacy, only to see him killed by his own glider. Even in that context, Peter walked away depressed and empty, only to find empathy in the arms of Mary Jane. In the film, it's a bit different and doesn't carry near any of that weight. In fact, the only thing that makes it really worthwhile is Dafoe's performance. But he was killed off so Harry could take over in the sequels, again, the kind of Hollywood forethinking that eventually killed the franchise's quality in 3.

Tony Almeda was dead before last night, too. And Phillip Spaulding died in 2004, but he's coming back. Being dead in a piece of fiction doesn't mean what it used to.

Actually

Tony wasn't technically dead because they never gave him the silent clock treatment like they do when every major character in the show dies. I knew he wasn't dead.

Who says the Joker has to completely lose? The character was evil, but very little he said was untrue. Would it be so shocking if his plan worked, at least partially, after all, and that Batman has to return to finish off Two-Face and make sure the Joker finally loses in the third film?

I know they've said definitively that he's dead, but they're not goign to admit he's alive if they want to build hype for the next film, and like Eckhart just did, it's now open again.

It's fiction, based on a comic book series where no one is ever really dead.

It's funny how many people are oblivious to this.

Looks like Eckhart is just a really bad public speaker. "Heh heh heh heh... Harvey... Harvey... I don't know, well... heh heh... Harvey... I just go with what other people are saying..."

Now, I for one am of the persuasion that there is indeed much that can (and arguably should) be done from here using Harvey/Two-Face, but even so, I wouldn't have near the problem with the whole "HARVEY IS DEAD!!" stuff if it was handled better.

In the film, about the only acknowledgment given to Harvey is Batman turning his head to show the undamaged side. But there is no reaction. No checking for a pulse. Nothing from Jim "I have to save Harvey!" Gordon. If Harvey is dead, why are they only talking about Batman taking the blame for the murders? Why does he not tell Gordon to say Batman killed the others and Harvey? Besides that, let's just throw out any debate of whether it's justified or not, but if Harvey is dead, Batman killed him. Batman, who wiped out on the Batpod to keep from killing the FREAKIN' JOKER would then apparently have broken his one rule to stop Harvey. With the "one rule" being such a big theme, shouldn't this have been addressed? I'm not saying we have to go through all of his dealing with the ramifications of that, but at there should be some kind of reaction to this.

The problem is, dead or alive, nothing seems to be done about Harvey at the scene either way. That's the biggest thing that makes it tough for me to swallow. I can accept the death, but if he's dead, then the aftermath was handled very poorly, IMO.

• 6 months later...

I was just thinking. At the end of Batman Begins, Gordon shows Batman Joker's calling card, which is just a plain and simple joker card from a deck. He never had those in The Dark Knight. He left some other stuff at his crime scenes, but never a simple joker card.

Or wait, a bunch of cards were flying around after the judge's car blew up, right?