If Williams and Zimmer traded places...

AI

If they did, who would win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If Williams and Zimmer traded places...

• Zimmer would win
    • Williams would prevail

Building on my electronic music poll, and making it into something even funnier and more profound, I give you this, crazy scenario to ponder!

Lets say they both had 12 weeks to complete a score, for the same film, but they have to swap places!

Williams has to work in Zimmers studio, create his score entirely with the computers, sequencers, samples etc that are in that studio. He has access to all the manuals that can help him to learn how to use it, but he has no other outside help. His score must be entirely sample and synth based. He has to mix and produce it himself.

And Zimmer, has to work in Williams office, with only paper, pencils and a piano, plus any other resources there may be in that office, such as books, scores and so on. His score must be entirely orchestrated by hand. He also has to to conduct it.

Who do you think would make the better score? and why...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P Hillarious poll. I think JW would win anyway, since he could make use of inside help (he would pick up one of Zimmer's remote composers to put the notes he comes up into computer). At the same time Zimmer would be quarelling with the orchestra which be unable to play the exact notes he wrote ;)

Silly, silly thing...

Anyway, I'm unable to restrain myself and have to answer...

I think Williams could pull it if he would be willing to. I believe he can do anything!

As for Zimmer, writting note by note, orchestrating and conducting... I don't know...

Considering that Zimmer knows how to play the piano, use a pencil, and write music....

and William's age....and the sheer complexity of sampling tech...

I'd have to say I'd put my money on Zimmer. Would it be very good? Not likely, but it'd be done.

But does Zimmer still get to keep his personal driver? Otherwise he couldn't get to William's office.

It's like asking if the tortoise or the hare would win if you cut off their legs... no one. They would awkwardly roll around at the starting line and beg for death.

John Williams would find himself surrounded by the likes of Lorne Balfe, Tom Gire, Nick Glennie-Smith, Henry Jackman, Atli Orvarsson, John Sponsler, Geoff Zanelli, Walt Fowler, Elizabeth Finch, Ken Kugler and Suzette Moriarty and ask...

"So what is it exactly what I have to do?"

Geez this poll is stupid!

Yes.

Yes indeed. But yet I can't get the image out of my head of Zimmer sitting at a desk, holding a pencil and starting at a blank piece of paper trying to figure out what the hell he's supposed to do.

I have the same with Williams surrounded by a bunch of computers and a row of synthesizers.

"To start, press any key."

"Where's the ANY key?!"

Williams has worked with the stuff before, although not extensively. Williams started at the top, so to speak, once you learn how to score, the rest is just learning new techniques.

I have serious doubts as to whether Zimmer ever learned how to create a full score, which puts him at a serious disadvantage.

Since Williams has admittd in interviews he's not too familiar with computers it would be an unfair advantage for Zimmer.

Using a pencil isn't that difficult.

However if Williams were a PC whiz I'm sure he'd compose circles around Zimmer as he always does.

Since Williams has admittd in interviews he's not too familiar with computers it would be an unfair advantage for Zimmer.

Using a pencil isn't that difficult.

Using a pencil isn't difficult but it's clear that Zimmer has little to no clue about proper voice leading, counterpoint and even harmony much less real orchestration. That means he'd write stuff all out of range, too impossible for the orchestra to play, (remember no help which includes conductor's or orchestrators), and with no SMPTE or computers he'd have to brush up on his math/click track skills.

But I agree Williams would be no better off with all those computers...this was a silly post!

Stupid, yes. I'm still going to answer because my exams ended yesterday and I have 4 hours to kill.

I think Williams would win, not because he's a better composer, but because of the logistics of it. All Williams does all day is play the piano and write down notes. Zimmer plays the piano (albeit plugged into a computer) as well, and the computer just remembers it. Not that different.

And I'd love to see Zimmer write a score given only a piano, a pencil and a limitless supply of paper :devil: "but where do I plug in my USB key???!"

Can Zimmer even read/write notes? Thought I read he couldn't. Or maybe that he was to lazy to do it? He can conduct an orchestra, he's done a live thing once. The old fart Willimas would just crash all the computers 'cause he don't know what to do, and Zimmer would be too lazy to write with a pen and paper and a traditional piano without his companions so no one would win. Zimmer would explode after Williams BSOD:ed his studio and Willimas would sit in his rocking chair clenching on hard to a pen and a piece of paper woving never to look at a computer again....that's my vision of the events really.

Even if I had some kind of musical talent I'd rather use synths, a mouse and keyboard and computers to write music. Just print everything out when done and hand it over to the conductor and just sit back while the orchestra does their thing. Basicly what Zimmer does.

Can Zimmer even read/write notes? Thought I read he couldn't. Or maybe that he was to lazy to do it? He can conduct an orchestra, he's done a live thing once.

He can read and write notes. And he's very open about not being a very good coductor.

Can Zimmer even read/write notes? Thought I read he couldn't. Or maybe that he was to lazy to do it? He can conduct an orchestra, he's done a live thing once.

He can read and write notes. And he's very open about not being a very good coductor.

Thought so.

Hans Zimmer is Hans Zimmer and John Williams is John Williams, which means the notes that go down will still be the same. Zimmer would still churn out crap, and Williams would still come up with something good.

Plus, it wouldn't be any good for Zimmer if Williams learned how to use the computer as well. Then he'd truly be indestructible.