Goldsmith's Alien

nicholas

John Williams is really the only film composer I listen to but with the current dearth of projects for him I am thinking of diversifying. I was always quite taken by Goldsmith's score for Alien and would like to get hold of it, but it seems the original soundtrack recording is pretty hard to get hold of in any form. The most widely-available alternative seems to be the Cliff Eidelman version of the trilogy of scores, including Horner's for Aliens, recorded by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Would anyone recommend this as a satisfactory version, or is it better to be patient and hold out for the OST? Any advice gratefully received!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All kinds of official and unofficial versions are floating around in space. I've got several versions including the very simple official original, and bootleg discs. One is a two disc set with the original score as Jerry intended it on it one side with the 1996 re-recording (Eidelman one) too, and on the second disc alterante temporary cues used in the actual film. At this time I'm not in a position to help out unfortunately because I won't be here soon. But in the meantime, the Eidelman disc is fairly good for including sections not on the 1979 official recording. Or, other members could probably help you regarding other versions.

I suggest you buy the 20th anniversary edition DVD, which has two isolated scores - one with the score as Jerry wrote it, one with the score as it was used in the film (hacked and tracked, including music from Goldsmith's earlier score Freud, IIRC).

Just avoid the newer "Collector's Edition" DVD (also in the "quadrilogy" set), since that doesn't have either isolated score.

A very good score I might add.

That is an understatement.

But you probably already knew that.

I'm careful to throw around the word great these days.

I have that DVD with the iso score.I haven't bothered to rip it yet.Seems the best cues are on these compilations

I suggest you buy the 20th anniversary edition DVD, which has two isolated scores - one with the score as Jerry wrote it, one with the score as it was used in the film (hacked and tracked, including music from Goldsmith's earlier score Freud, IIRC).

Just avoid the newer "Collector's Edition" DVD (also in the "quadrilogy" set), since that doesn't have either isolated score.

Darn! I was just about to get excited.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I do like to own an actual CD so I shall probably get the trilogy recording with Cliff Eidelmen and the Scottish players. It will be interesting to hear the styles of the other scores as well. Did Jerry Goldsmith turn these down, or was he never even asked, I wonder, after the probnlems with scoring Alien?

seems funny because I personally love Ridley Scotts vision when it comes to film composition. There is something at every level... background, middle, foreground... even in the empty space there is almost always something... smoke, dirt, rain, confetti/glitter, flower petals...

but his editing skills are horrible... I get so tried and confused by his constantly jumping, short edits. He is brilliant if only he simply did what he wanted rather than changing them... Legend, Kingdom of Heaven anyone?

If I were asked to score a film of his, I might turn him down simply because of the amount of editing and changes made which I'm sure he did to Jerry in Alien...

But at the same time, Jerry still did Legend so lol...

(interesting note: neither of those scores show up on Jerrys IMDB page but only on the films pages)

Goldsmith would never have scored another Ridley Scott film after Legend.

I have that DVD with the iso score.I haven't bothered to rip it yet.Seems the best cues are on these compilations

I don't know the compilations. But the full (original, i.e. not the re-cut version) score has great music that's missing from the OST album.

I had a look at the DVD when I rented it through some trial service, and had a scattered listen to both iso's. Neither iso track seemed to match up with what I was hearing on the normal track, and my brief thoughts of ripping it quickly disappeared when I discovered how hacked up and different both tracks seemed to be (and how hard it would be to name the cues).

Goldsmith would never have scored another Ridley Scott film after Legend.[

Personally I'd have loved to have heard a Jerry Goldsmith version of "1492: Conquest of Paradise". It would have probably been his best synth score never written.

Hitch