Happy Birthday, Star Wars

robthehand

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is. And I had a pleasant surprise when a local radio station (which plays nearly only the latest hits) played the main title this morning to commemorate it, before the DJs started cracking Yoda and Miss Piggy jokes...

Happy b-day to your father Mark.

Happy b-day to Star Wars too.

I will be watching Star Wars later today...it will be the special edition version since it's kinda hard for me to watch the theatrical edition with the craptacular image quality. I do like the cleaned up version of the Special Edition more and it's a shame the theatrical edition couldn't have gotten such a treatment.

I know.. yes the "Special Edition" has had some things changed to it but over all it's still practically the same story in my opinion.

As I said if the theatrical version had been given a restoration job like the "Special Edition" version then I would watch that instead...but I don't want to watch a non anamorphic movie on my 40'' Widescreen especially with image quality being total crap.

I know.. yes the "Special Edition" has had some things changed to it but over all it's still practically the same story in my opinion.

Yeah, why don't we all discuss this?

Actually, let's throw some personal nostalgia stories about being there in 1977 and how magical it all was and no-one else can understand that, while someone else can imply that better CGI makes the movie easier to digest.

Then again, it's much simpler to just celebrate that something actually decent became a #1 pop culture icon, for once.

As I said if the theatrical version had been given a restoration job like the "Special Edition" version then I would watch that instead...but I don't want to watch a non anamorphic movie on my 40'' Widescreen especially with image quality being total crap.

I'm not convinved the SE transfer is better overall. It's sharper and less grainy, but it's also very dark and has a strange blue tint.

On iot's release in '77, Star Wars was reviewed on British TV by Film guru Barry Norman....read his original review Here.

Greg.

On iot's release in '77, Star Wars was reviewed on British TV by Film guru Barry Norman....read his original review Here.

Greg.

Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement for anniversary plans this year today? Or some time around here? Something like re-releasing the scores (at least the OT ones) again and re-releasing new versions of the films for October or something?

Greg.

Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement for anniversary plans this year today? Or some time around here? Something like re-releasing the scores (at least the OT ones) again and re-releasing new versions of the films for October or something?

No it was all a rumor.

As to that, Gary Kurtz the producer has assured me the sequel will not be made unless he and the director George Lucas are quite sure it can be as good as the original.

I only hope financial blandishments won't persuade them to change their minds and cut corners in search of the easy dollar.

As to that, Gary Kurtz the producer has assured me the sequel will not be made unless he and the director George Lucas are quite sure it can be as good as the original.

I only hope financial blandishments won't persuade them to change their minds and cut corners in search of the easy dollar.

[Rick McCallum]He said "sequel"! Not "prequel"![/Rick McCallum]

Happy birthday Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope!!!

Here's my flame shield. You're going to need it.

Happy birthday Star Wars: E-----e -- - A N-w H--e!!!

F**k you.

I think I'll listen to the original score today in honor of the original release.

Happy birthday to a dear old friend that is gone but not forgotten.

Neil

I just watched the film again. It gets better every time I see it. I think I'm now in the "watch Star Wars, forget about the rest" camp (for the films, that is). It's a practically perfect movie, and a practically perfect score.

I actually hadn't realised it was today.....but in honour I have just blared the complete score out and loved every second....I don't do that often enough.....

Greg - who will watch the movie tonight - and is sticking to his Laserdisc rip.

I find it hard to watch TESB because it sets up for a fantastic third film, only to disappoint greatly.

So Celebration 4 is started

when I come back to my PC tonight I want to see the thread:

Complete Prequel Scores Announced!

K.M.

That Empire Strikes Back poster is one of the most evocative images from my early teens. God, how I fetishized that thing.

Happy Birthday, Star Wars. Would that ye had died young and left a pretty corpse.

The only copy of Star Wars I have is the 1997 VHS full screen edition. :lol: (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I used to hate those black bars too.)

I've been more or less waiting for the 'Ultimate Edition Box Set' that's been rumored, but apparently delayed (RumorMill):

You know that mega-bombad 9-disc Ultimate Star Wars Saga box set that's been in the works for a few years now? The one that was expected to be released later this year to celebrate the 30th Anniversary? Yeah... maybe not so much anymore. We've been hearing from multiple sources now that the folks up at Lucasburg were surprised enough at the lackluster sales of last year's Star Wars Trilogy DVD re-run ("Now with Han shoots first!") that they're afraid they might have gone to the Sarlacc Pit one too many times, so to speak. There's talk apparently that the box set could get delayed a year or two to amp up demand for the films on disc again. Don't know how serious this all is, but that's the word that's blowing in the wind.

I just don't get Team Lucas anymore. They release the same DVDs we all already own last year and try to pull the "Hey, we're doing you all a favor by giving you the special non-anamorphic, zero-effort original versions as a bonus item!" and then they're actually flummoxed when they don't sell. What the REST of us know, is that they didn't sell because they were crap, and because everyone is waiting for the damn box set.

I don't care so much about Special Edition versus Original, but it would be nice to have a decent copy of the originals.

Happy Birthday Star Wars! One of my favorite childhood memories is seeing the original Star Wars in the theater with my dad and brother when I was 7.

That would be sweet! :lol:

I find it hard to watch TESB because it sets up for a fantastic third film, only to disappoint greatly.

For some. Perhaps most. What would you have done differently? (Besides of course getting rid of the Ewoks.)

That Empire Strikes Back poster is one of the most evocative images from my early teens. God, how I fetishized that thing.

Happy Birthday, Star Wars. Would that ye had died young and left a pretty corpse.

Mmmkay'. :lol:

Happy Birthday Star Wars! One of my favorite childhood memories is seeing the original Star Wars in the theater with my dad and brother when I was 7.

Go here.

Neil

It seems like this is the only movie in history that will be commemorated for all-time.

I doubt anyone will celebrate the 70th birthday of "The Wizard of Oz" in 2009. Or the 50th birthday of "Psycho" in 2010.

That is not ESB's problem. It's RotJ's.

It seems like this is the only movie in history that will be commemorated for all-time.

I doubt anyone will celebrate the 70th birthday of "The Wizard of Oz" in 2009. Or the 50th birthday of "Psycho" in 2010.

Of course those movies don't have a multi-million dollar merchandising machine behind them...

Have Boba Fett climb out of the Sarlacc, to provide Solo with a worthy adversary on Endor.

That would be sweet! :)

Have Boba Fett climb out of the Sarlacc, to provide Solo with a worthy adversary on Endor.

I remember well all of the talk amongst us kids after seeing ROTJ... "Fett had armor, and a jetpack! Hey......."

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday, you rascal of a movie! My all time favorite. I just finished reading this awesome new book about the making of Star Wars, and if anybody's into that kind of stuff, I highly recommend it!! Great book.

It might interest some of you to know that there is a Star Wars convention going on in Los Angeles right now and through the end of the weekend, presumably to coincide with the 30th anniversary.

On a different note, here's something interesting. What do kids (who have never seen a Star Wars movie) think of the non-SE Star Wars now?

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satelli...72286&path=

Btw look what came in the mail today! (after waiting 1 and a half years)

dsc00017nc4.th.jpg

"They should have started it out more strong," said Ryan Brantner, an eighth-grader at Potomac Middle School, after the movie ended.

"[The crawl] was really boring," said Kathleen Cracknell, a sixth-grader at Rippon Middle School. "I didn't read it. They need to make it more attractive, like BOOM!"

Even though I am no middle school student I still feel that Star Wars is a tad bit over rated and not my cup of tea. Oh well.

I'm not surprised, since this is coming from a person who thinks Chamber Of Secrets is a brilliant film....

In terms of reputable opinions I would say you should stay mum on the topic, since you are only resptected here.....Johnwilliams fan network. Need I say more?