Film Music Fans in Austria rejoice!

There aren't many... but there used to be some. Steiner, Korngold, Gold, Salter... these days, Kloser is the only one I can think of.

The RSO is a very good orchestra, and of all the major orchestras in Vienna the obvious candidate to perform film music - for one thing because they're closely tied to the ORF (Austria's national public-service broadcaster), but also because they are more open to modern stuff than the VPO and VSO - they've done several Glass world premieres, for example. I heard them play the ESB suite and some other film music bits a few years ago, and the LOTR Symphony just recently.

Unless something comes in the way, this should be great.

Yes so the Austrians rather honor Korngold then the brilliant Jerry Goldsmith?

Nothing ever changes, it's rampant anti-semitism all over again!

Both were Jew, weren't they?

Marian, it's cool you have another orchestra that can compete with some of the most conservative orchestras in the world (VPO...).

So this John Mauceri is the same who conducted the North Cleopatra Symphony premiere some years ago in Leipzig. Do you know if there is any recording of it?

You do realize it's a concert in honor of Korngold, right?

In reality, I think Korngold (who is beginning to get somewhat known and respected again here) is a good point for selling this concert. And the Potter music might bring plenty of people to attend, making it successful and spawning sequels. Or so I hope. :lol:

Both were Jew, weren't they?

To my knowledge, yes.

Marian, it's cool you have another orchestra that can compete with some of the most conservative orchestras in the world (VPO...).

Yes, the RSO can be very refreshing. :)

So this John Mauceri is the same who conducted the North Cleopatra Symphony premiere some years ago in Leipzig. Do you know if there is any recording of it?

Probably the same, yes. At least it's the same who conducted several Korngold recordings for Decca's "Entartete Musik" series, and who arranged Goldsmith's STTMP suite for the Hollywood Bowl (which Goldsmith later conducted himself in London). As for a Cleopatra recording by him, I have no idea.

• 6 months later...

Just a reminder for anyone who might be interested and in the area. I was fortunate to attend today's rehearsal, and I can say that this will be a stunning concert. The RSO is a great orchestra, and Mauceri is a top of the line Golden Age (and more) conductor.

Don't miss this!

I'm not excited about this, and I'm not gonna attend, either.

If I listen to the RSO play Harry Potter, John Williams's brilliant score will likely be forever ruined for me. No kidding! :)

I thought Vienna was the ultimate in film music snobbism.

Vienna is highly overrated regarding music (and pretty much everything else, IMHO).

Vienna USED to be the capital of music, because of Mozart and Strauss, etc. But that was a long time ago. :)

I'd really like to go, the memories of LotR Symphony in Vienna this April are after all still fresh (and Wien itself is only about 4 hours from my place with car :P), but I'm not so ill-tempered about not going, 'cause I'm visiting this on January 6th, 2008. :) Anyone else going? ;) (I thought about opening a new thread sometime soon, but I'm already curious about the chances of meeting some fellow JWFan members there. :D) They even expanded the program with some additional music and a pre-concert talk with David Arnold and Patrick Doyle! :P

If I listen to the RSO play Harry Potter, John Williams's brilliant score will likely be forever ruined for me. No kidding! :lol:

You're insane.

You're right . . except for the "in" part!

I'm sane.

I'd really like to go, the memories of LotR Symphony in Vienna this April are after all still fresh (and Wien itself is only about 4 hours from my place with car :P), but I'm not so ill-tempered about not going, 'cause I'm visiting this on January 6th, 2008. :) Anyone else going? ;) (I thought about opening a new thread sometime soon, but I'm already curious about the chances of meeting some fellow JWFan members there. ^_^) They even expanded the program with some additional music and a pre-concert talk with David Arnold and Patrick Doyle! :ola:

You're just brimming with emotions today, aren't you? ;):P:):thumbup::)

A brilliant concert, as expected. Performing the duel music from Robin Hood live at the original film tempo is no small feat. I dare say The Enterprise was a touch better than Goldsmith's own LSO performance in 2003. And everything else was great, too - CE3K being a particular favourite. Lots of applause and standing ovations as well; Mauceri seemed a bit overwhelmed.

Here's to hoping this will become a regular event, as originally planned.

2074213551_b83ae3ca34.jpg

Very much out of focus, unfortunately.

• 16 years later...

This has nothing to do with Hollywood in Vienna (now more or less defunct, until otherwise noted), but I was curious how Austria views Gerhard Heinz? Marian? A legendary composer, 96 years old, who's done a lot of film scores.

This thread was created in the exact same day that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (top 3 Zimmer scores) was released in theaters. I know it because this day was a Friday and 14-year-old me was so excited to see it that me and my younger brothers watched on opening day.

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This thread was created in the exact same day that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (top 3 Zimmer scores) was released in theaters. I know it because this day was a Friday and 14-year-old me was so excited to see it that me and my younger brothers watched on opening day.

Yeah, although the "necro-posting" (or whatever it's called....I'm hesitant to call it necro-bumping) was unintentional in this case, I love it when these things happen. "16 years later"....great stuff. Where were you when I posted my first post here on May 24, 2002?

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Where were you when I posted my first post here on May 24, 2002?

Well, let's see... this was three days after my 9th birthday. It was a Friday, so the party was probably on the next day. We were living in a very small town during those days, which was wonderful for a kid, so they turned the local party room into a movie screening room, where they exhibited the recently released DVD for HP and the Philosopher's Stone. That because they saw that I liked movies and really liked Harry Potter, so they did a thematic party.

I still remember when the movie begun and the John Williams theme over the Warner logo. I think I may have more memories of that than my actual session at the "official" movie theater six months before.

Warner wouldn't like that if they knew it though :lol: I remember that those old DVDs had a lot of warnings against "public exhibitions" of the movie and etc.

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

This has nothing to do with Hollywood in Vienna (now more or less defunct, until otherwise noted), but I was curious how Austria views Gerhard Heinz? Marian? A legendary composer, 96 years old, who's done a lot of film scores.

I've… never heard of him?

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Whoa, that's pretty weird. I thought he was an icon in your country.

Is he? Looking him up on IMDb, I've seen one of his films: Der Bockerer, a 1981 drama about an Austrian butcher standing up to the Nazis during their regime not such much out of principle (he's too naive for that), but more out of personal spite. We saw that in school; I remember director Franz Antel being a highly lauded Austrian film maker during my youth and up to his death in 2007 (he was born in 1913, like my grandfather, who if I remember correctly went to school with him), mostly based on this film and I guess a few he made afterwards - before that, he was mainly known as the director of countless sex comedies since the early 50s. Gerhard Heinz's filmography looks very similar (though I can't see in this endless list of any of their earlier films overlap), except that he seems to have stuck with the sex comedies even after Bockerer, when Antel had finally managed to rid himself of them. They collaborated on three sequels, the last three films of each of them (I haven't seen those). The only other filmography entry of his I recognise is two episodes of the famed weekly documentary series Universum, which has been showing on ORF (the Austrian national public TV station) every Tuesday since 1987. According to Wikipedia he's also written Schlager songs earlier in his career. None of that makes it sound like he's particularly distinguished or well known. Where do you know him from?

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

This thread was created in the exact same day that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

One of a few movies to make me actively angry while watching it, which apparently came out on my 23rd birthday, and 2 years to the day after I was in the fine country of Austria for the first, and probably only, time.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Where do you know him from?

Thanks for taking a look and elaborating, Marian! I first heard of him while assembling my list of oldest living film composers over on FSM a few years ago. Then I researched him, and found - as you say - that he was the composer of many sex comedies and the like, a genre that has always spawned great, loungey scores. After that, I got the really enjoyable compilation in the "Deutsche Filmkomponisten" series (he's Austrian, but I suppose many of the productions were German).

As there aren't THAT many internationally famous Austrian film composers beyond Korngold (Gold? Wander & Kloser? Haslinger?), and given his advanced age, I thought perhaps he was a famous entity in Austria. Like most people, at least culturally aware ones, know who 91-year-old Per Nørgård is in Denmark.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Thanks for taking a look and elaborating, Marian! I first heard of him while assembling my list of oldest living film composers over on FSM a few years ago. Then I researched him, and found - as you say - that he was the composer of many sex comedies and the like, a genre that has always spawned great, loungey scores. After that, I got the really enjoyable compilation in the "Deutsche Filmkomponisten" series (he's Austrian, but I suppose many of the productions were German).

And that from the Scandinavians, who created the only pop culture hit song ever to come out of a sex comedy!

11 hours ago, Thor said:

As there aren't THAT many internationally famous Austrian film composers beyond Korngold (Gold? Wander & Kloser? Haslinger?)

Steiner!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And that from the Scandinavians, who created the only pop culture hit song ever to come out of a sex comedy!

What?! "Take on Me"?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Steiner!

Ah yes.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

What?! "Take on Me"?

Ok, I mis-remembered. It's not Swedish, rather:

"Mah Nà Mah Nà" is a popular song by Italian composer Piero Umiliani. It originally appeared in the Italian film Sweden: Heaven and Hell (Svezia, inferno e paradiso).