Film Music Fans in Austria rejoice!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There aren't many... but there used to be some. Steiner, Korngold, Gold, Salter... these days, Kloser is the only one I can think of.

The RSO is a very good orchestra, and of all the major orchestras in Vienna the obvious candidate to perform film music - for one thing because they're closely tied to the ORF (Austria's national public-service broadcaster), but also because they are more open to modern stuff than the VPO and VSO - they've done several Glass world premieres, for example. I heard them play the ESB suite and some other film music bits a few years ago, and the LOTR Symphony just recently.

Unless something comes in the way, this should be great.

Yes so the Austrians rather honor Korngold then the brilliant Jerry Goldsmith?

Nothing ever changes, it's rampant anti-semitism all over again!

Both were Jew, weren't they?

Marian, it's cool you have another orchestra that can compete with some of the most conservative orchestras in the world (VPO...).

So this John Mauceri is the same who conducted the North Cleopatra Symphony premiere some years ago in Leipzig. Do you know if there is any recording of it?

You do realize it's a concert in honor of Korngold, right?

In reality, I think Korngold (who is beginning to get somewhat known and respected again here) is a good point for selling this concert. And the Potter music might bring plenty of people to attend, making it successful and spawning sequels. Or so I hope. :lol:

Both were Jew, weren't they?

To my knowledge, yes.

Marian, it's cool you have another orchestra that can compete with some of the most conservative orchestras in the world (VPO...).

Yes, the RSO can be very refreshing. :)

So this John Mauceri is the same who conducted the North Cleopatra Symphony premiere some years ago in Leipzig. Do you know if there is any recording of it?

Probably the same, yes. At least it's the same who conducted several Korngold recordings for Decca's "Entartete Musik" series, and who arranged Goldsmith's STTMP suite for the Hollywood Bowl (which Goldsmith later conducted himself in London). As for a Cleopatra recording by him, I have no idea.

• 6 months later...

Just a reminder for anyone who might be interested and in the area. I was fortunate to attend today's rehearsal, and I can say that this will be a stunning concert. The RSO is a great orchestra, and Mauceri is a top of the line Golden Age (and more) conductor.

Don't miss this!

I'm not excited about this, and I'm not gonna attend, either.

If I listen to the RSO play Harry Potter, John Williams's brilliant score will likely be forever ruined for me. No kidding! :)

I thought Vienna was the ultimate in film music snobbism.

Vienna is highly overrated regarding music (and pretty much everything else, IMHO).

Vienna USED to be the capital of music, because of Mozart and Strauss, etc. But that was a long time ago. :)

I'd really like to go, the memories of LotR Symphony in Vienna this April are after all still fresh (and Wien itself is only about 4 hours from my place with car :P), but I'm not so ill-tempered about not going, 'cause I'm visiting this on January 6th, 2008. :) Anyone else going? ;) (I thought about opening a new thread sometime soon, but I'm already curious about the chances of meeting some fellow JWFan members there. :D) They even expanded the program with some additional music and a pre-concert talk with David Arnold and Patrick Doyle! :P

If I listen to the RSO play Harry Potter, John Williams's brilliant score will likely be forever ruined for me. No kidding! :lol:

You're insane.

You're right . . except for the "in" part!

I'm sane.

I'd really like to go, the memories of LotR Symphony in Vienna this April are after all still fresh (and Wien itself is only about 4 hours from my place with car :P), but I'm not so ill-tempered about not going, 'cause I'm visiting this on January 6th, 2008. :) Anyone else going? ;) (I thought about opening a new thread sometime soon, but I'm already curious about the chances of meeting some fellow JWFan members there. ^_^) They even expanded the program with some additional music and a pre-concert talk with David Arnold and Patrick Doyle! :ola:

You're just brimming with emotions today, aren't you? ;):P:):thumbup::)

A brilliant concert, as expected. Performing the duel music from Robin Hood live at the original film tempo is no small feat. I dare say The Enterprise was a touch better than Goldsmith's own LSO performance in 2003. And everything else was great, too - CE3K being a particular favourite. Lots of applause and standing ovations as well; Mauceri seemed a bit overwhelmed.

Here's to hoping this will become a regular event, as originally planned.

2074213551_b83ae3ca34.jpg

Very much out of focus, unfortunately.