Name that term

I'm writing a poem about music and I'm stuck on a term. I need a musical term for when the music picks up and creates a powerful emotion such as in "Anakin's Dark Deeds" (:34) or "Anakin's Betrayal". I'm thinking crescendo but I'm not entirely sure that would be the best term.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the moment when it gets real loud! ;):lol::lol:

(Sorry, I'm not versed in musical lingo!)

:lol: Oh yes that's sure to impress my english teacher.

Modulation does work but not exactly what I'm working for. It's when you go "Damn, now if more people could compose like this John Williams might actually have some competition".

All good words, I may just do eenie-meanie-mione-mo with your posts.

Stefancos: Its supposed to be free-verse and "creative" so the bigger and the fancier words, the better.

That's a scary thought.

"Swell" is the only word I can think of, JWfangirl1992. There isn't just one way composers do this, and there isn't one term that can be used to describe it. Orchestration, tempo, presence of percussion, dynamic level changes...these kinds of factors help make moments like those great, but none of them fully describe what you're talking about. Besides, if you're writing poetry, I'd say it'd be better not to use one single arcane term for something like this. That belittles the concept, makes it seem technical when it's really all about emotion. Use the power of your current vocabulary to describe what musical moments like these make you feel. That'd be a lot more effective.

Just my two humble cents. ;)

What about catharsis? It's not musically-specific, but it could fit (for the moment of climax, not the buildup).

Ray Barnsbury

A lot of indeeds are thrown around 'round here.....

Indeed!

- Marc, wondering if there really is a proper musical term, other than perhaps crescendo.