Williams as a pianist re-issue

This early 70's recording, of Williams playing the piano (with Edgard Lustgarten on cello) on the Prokofiev and Ward-Steinman Cello Sonatas has finally been released on CD.

A must, if you ask me:

Music for Cello and Piano by Sergei Prokofiev & David Ward-Steinman

Only miss the original LP cover picture of a still quiet young Williams.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to find the backup disc were I have the LP cover, so you can enjoy the original.

Cool, thanks for the alert. had the LP transfer but this is a must buy for me.

Well, Prokoviev was a film composer afterall.

Not such a great one, in my opinion. The music is great, but it doesn't seem to fit the images as well as, say, a Korngold or Steiner score from roughly the same era did.

Don't care I'll just skip that stuff. I own a SACD with the Cantata from Alexander Nevsky coupled with Pictures at an Exibition by Mussorgsky.

I just avoid the later one.

It has much more in common with film music than a Prokofiev sonata though...

Marian - looking forward to seeing Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov live in two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just got this.

Interestingly the booklet seems to be a direct re-print of the old release, since it talks about John Williams being a prolific jazz pianist and composer and having scored Images and Fiddler On The Roof. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I'll try to find the backup disc were I have the LP cover, so you can enjoy the original.

Guess is better late than never... :)

So to everyones enjoyment, is the original cover art for the LP release:

prokofiev1.jpg

I just found this incredibly helpful list for the casual fan in Amazon, and thought I'd share the joy.

Or, you know, admit any mistakes the list might have.

The list has no errors, it was done by a dear friend, and also full of knowledge in all things John Williams.

He used to be around, and was kind of tired with the atitude of certain board members. Who can blame him for that.

I do keep in touch with him, not just to talk about Johnny's music, but mostly about life.

I bought that CD to and I was really looking forward to that.. cause I love Prokovief Chamber music... but the quality of the recording!! Awful all that hiss, clicks and noise..

I didn't read anyone mentioning it.. am I the only one? Cant imagine