Is the music really from Beowulf?

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That site has been up for ages and the music has been the same from the beginning. So has Silvestri composed something for the site so much in advance? It does sound little like Silvestri but does it necessarily have to be connected to the actual score of the upcoming film?

Yes the music from the website is Silvestri's! Dan goldwasser confirmed this at the fsm board and so did emile brinkman (owner of alan-silvestri.com).

In late may this year, Alan Silvestri recorded 20 minutes of score already for usage at the comic-con 2007 where they will show the first excerpts of the film and there is some source music which he recorded in 2005 already. Glen Ballard is also involved again.

Alan Silvestri will premiere his Beowulf score at the soncinemad 2007 concert! Have a look at the programme:

FINAL PROGRAMME

30 June 2007

Teatro Monumental de Madrid

Orquesta Filarmonía y Coro de RTVE

1. Back to the Future

2. Fools Rush In

3. Mouse Hunt

4. Judge Dredd

5. Contact

6. The Quick and the Dead

7. Father of the Bride

Intermission

8. The Mummy Returns

9. Night At The Museum

10. Castaway

11. The Polar Express

12. Forrest Gump

13. Beowulf

Encores

Well, I'm afraid it will be only the 2 of us. Maurizio isn't coming finally. At least there will be a (small) JWFan.net delegation!

I did not realize there was so little response from the jwfan.net members regarding this concert. At least some people from the silvestri forum will be there too. I am looking forward to seeing you all in madrid! :P

BTW, I still need to figure out which covers I will take to have them signed. There are too many to choose from :)

I'm anxiously awaiting a trailer for this freakin' movie. It seems like it's been on the radar for a long, long time with only visual sketches and character art. I want to see this stuff in it's full glory! I'd love to see this film in the rumored NC-17 version.

Oh, and the music seem nice enough.

Tim

Great mock-ups are not important if you're recording with orchestra, unless your director is an a--hole. Oh, I forgot, most directors are a--holes.

• 4 weeks later...

Beowulf concert Footage from soncinemad 2007:

I like it.

I have to say, that first blast recalls Back to the Future.

The film comes out november 16th this year and the first teaser trailers are expected at the end of this month after the comiccon 2007.

by the way, that video really is just a glimpse on how great the live experience really was. That concert was amazing from start to finish, and beowulf was such a magnificent finish that Alan had to come back to the podium several times. People were screaming and going crazy while Alan joked: "I am not going to like the way it looks the next time I come out!"

Well, it certainly does sound like Silvestri. Very overblown...but, for once, it might actually be attached to a good movie, which gives me hope.

Very overblown...

Hardly the right way to describe it when almost 60 percent of the suite consisted of very lyrical but subdued atmospheric music for male choir, strings, woodwinds and piano comparable in a way to basic instinct or bittersweet romantic music ala poledouris. Only the last third really qualifies as overblown once the march kicks in.

The film comes out november 16th this year and the first teaser trailers are expected at the end of this month after the comiccon 2007.

I see. Has a soundtrack release date been set yet?

No nothing is known about an album yet but thats no reason to worry since the movie is still several months away. I guess by the time of September/October we should find out more. The label could be warner / reprise again and there seems to be not much danger of song overload except maybe for an end credits song by silvestri and ballard.

I would be really surprised if no score album would come out this time.

Very overblown...

Hardly the right way to describe it when almost 60 percent of the suite consisted of very lyrical but subdued atmospheric music for male choir, strings, woodwinds and piano comparable in a way to basic instinct or bittersweet romantic music ala poledouris. Only the last third really qualifies as overblown once the march kicks in.

Silvestri's bittersweet romantic music sounds very overblown to me. And, really, it sounded very much like his Sommers scores, which are the defintion of overblown.

Well, it certainly did not sound overblown to me when i was there and i was just a couple of feet away from the orchestra. To me, it just sounded right and I never felt any resemblance with his sommers scores maybe except for the march at the end which shares some similarities with van helsing as far as the choir is concerned but even that march as a whole is really more related to judge dredd in almost every way.

It also helped greatly to hear mummy returns and judge dredd that evening and the beowulf part has definitely a lot going that distinguishes it from these two, mainly during the first half of the suite.

BTW, here are some of the pictures i took that evening:

silvestrimontagewu4.jpg

Hey, I'm looking forward to it. The movie could be something really special, and it may bring Silvestri back to scoring good movies. Last movie he scored that I thought was good was probably Lilo & Stitch.