The Big Bad Top Gear Thread

robthehand

I think they had some leftovers from last year's as well.

We never got to see part two of the boys making their own petrol. I think I've read that's going to be aired somewhere this season.

I wouldn't expect that until next season at the earliest....don't forget the stuff has got to have tim to grow! Although - depending on when the originally plante the stuff, it could be at the end of this season I guess....we will see!

Greg - still trying to find out where the version of "Going The Distance" (Conti) used in the Ice Dance sequence from the Winter Olympics is from.....

You mean the music in the scene were Jeremy is (trying) to drive a Jaguar on a track made on a frozen lake? I want that cue badly!

Okee dokee - found it!!!!!!!!!! This is a track by Deadly Avenger called We Took Pelham....Conti gets a credit......it's available on the EP "We Took Pelham" or the album "Deep Red"....

....SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This site is rather useful!!!!!

Last night's episode - yeah, it was ok....not among the best - but ok.....the motorhome segment was great though!

No big race or transcontinental thrash, but some nice segments involving cars.

I like the race between May and the crawling man, and It's always nice to hear Van Helsin in Top Gear. (I don't even associate it with that film anymore)

Poor Jeremy, dying of bird flu!

I sorely missed the trio going against each other. One of my least favorite episodes of Top Gear probably.

Good find, btw, Greg!

Honda Civic Type-R Review:

05:08 - 05:42 - ?

Michael Giacchino - Helluvacopter Chase :)

Motorhome Sport Racing:

57:04 - 57:29 - ? (same as 52:55 - 53:07)

John Williams - A Tree For My Bed (not the same as 52:55 - 53:07)

And Top Gear News Uncut has been back up at TopGear.com :)

I don't need to see a big challenge every week, Marc.

Remember, Top Gear is supposed to be about cars. :angry:

Of course I realize that, and I noted that to myself while I was watching.

But in all fairness, the things that got me hooked on Top Gear were the stunts, the bickering of its hosts, the general big boys in nifty cars having a lark atmosphere.

I'm not a car nut. I wouldn't know the first thing about a car and whether it's a good one or not. So Top Gear doesn't seem like a program I'd sit down for every week. Yet it's the crazy things they do and the chemistry between the show's hosts that keeps me coming back.

Apart from the motorhome race, which was mostly Hammond with a bit of James May baking a pie thrown in, I sorely missed the elements I appreciate most about Top Gear.

As an automobile magazine, last night's show was pretty good of course. It's just not the part of the show I enjoy most.

So Top Gear doesn't seem like a program I'd sit down for every week. Yet it's the crazy things they do and the chemistry between the show's hosts that keeps me coming back.

I took notice of the show when they tried to destroy an old toyota hilux using fire, the sea and demolition materials (including a imploding towerblock), mixed with Morricone music.

It was surreal, so i kept following the show and it has given me an appriciation of the automobile.

the chemistry between the presenters is the icing on the cake.

Last night ep was like many...many of those of earlier seasons, which i also like a lot.

Ah a cheap car challenge, i've missed those.

Marc will be pleased.

Nice one, admittedly the cobbled road challenge had been done before with a bowl of water instead of eggs, but the water challenge and the hand brake test were hilarious.

Neat snippet of The Throne room, and a really nice use of The End Of An Aston Martin in the drag race between the DBS and the Vantage.

Not seen last night's yet....but though it worth mentioning that Hammond has sought counselling for his crash experience........

..........with none other than Evel Knievel...............

In a documentary to be screened over Christmas, Hamond hares his crash experience with the daredevil, and will also talk about Knievel's career and misfortunes whilst doing idiotic fast things.....

Should be interesting!

though it worth mentioning that Hammond has sought counselling for his crash experience........

..........with none other than Evel Knievel...............

OK - that should now read ".......with none ther than THE LATE Evel Knievel..............."

:)

Spotted THIS ARTICLE in today's on-line version of my local paper....person who wrote it is not identified but the mention of "Mrs Ziegler" leads me to believe it's written by Zog Ziegler, our local radio resident car-tester......

Just to show what a cool bloke the Hamster is!

It's obviously referring back to the floods we suffered back in July.

• 3 months later...

Top Garden Ground Gear Force is a one off TV special, featuring the cast of BBC's Top Gear. The show will be a 'resurrection' of Ground Force for Sport Relief.

Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond will take over an unnamed celebrity sportsman's garden to dispense advice on creating a zero-maintenance lawn, installing an impressive water-feature and getting rid of unwanted plants.

It will be shown on BBC Two at 10pm on Friday March 14.

And bloody funny it is too.....it's no spoiler to say that the unnamed celebrity sportsman was Sir Steve Redgrave.....and the results are - erm - well - very much Top-Gear-ish!!

Excellent stuff - whetting my appetite nicely for the new season, which can only be a couple of months away....

• 2 weeks later...

Why on Earth isn't this show on DVD yet?

Seriously. It's one of the most entertaining shows on TV at the moment. Has anyone heard if the show will be released by season? I'd buy it. Pretty sure Steef would too. There ya go! Two copies sold already! I wonder if the guest stars are being difficult about giving permission for the release. Come on Beeb. Deal with whatever legal/whatever reasons are preventing this show from being released and get this hilarious show on DVD where it belongs. It's like a middle-aged version of Jackass.

The banter between Clarkson, Hammond and May is as classic as the banter between Kirk, Spock and McCoy and is easily the best thing on BBC at the moment. That and "Gavin & Stacey".

21TopGear_m_m.jpg

Why on Earth isn't this show on DVD yet?

Seriously. It's one of the most entertaining shows on TV at the moment. Has anyone heard if the show will be released by season? I'd buy it. Pretty sure Steef would too. There ya go! Two copies sold already! I wonder if the guest stars are being difficult about giving permission for the release. Come on Beeb. Deal with whatever legal/whatever reasons are preventing this show from being released and get this hilarious show on DVD where it belongs. It's like a middle-aged version of Jackass.

I have the entire show on my hard drive, all 10 series, why would I need to buy it on DVD?

(to be honest I could use some of them in better quality, and unedited)

YOu can buy some of the specials (Winter Olympics, "The Challenges" and one or two others) on DVD, but I know of no plans to release season by season.....though BBC Worldwide do release the magazine, so I guess they would be involved on any DVD release.....drop 'em an e-mail!

Greg - who also has 10 seasons worth on his Hard Drive...

Yep - but as far as I know I have the complete versions of the last 4 seasons, and only a couple of episodes from the earlier ones are edited down....

I don't like those Best Of's either - there's no substance to them and they seem to be just an excuse to remind people that the series exists....very watered down and as you say too much gtood stuff cut out....

A lot of the earlier seasons offered up for download are recorded from BBC Prime, who sometimes cut out bits that are no longer applicable, like phone votes for "Favorite Driving Song" or stuff like that, but they are essentially complete.

BBC World edits episodes down to half an hour.

The Dutch TV station Veronica not only edits episodes down so then can show commercials, but also pretty much all the good film music is replaced by generic drivel.

I tried watching The Best Driving Road segment, a few weeks back but it was just too annoying. They even replaced the "Days Like These"from the (original) Italian Job.

The Dutch TV station Veronica not only edits episodes down so then can show commercials, but also pretty much all the good film music is replaced by generic drivel.

I tried watching The Best Driving Road segment, a few weeks back but it was just too annoying. They even replaced the "Days Like These"from the (original) Italian Job.

Wow.

I didn't even know that.

• 2 months later...

2008, in an interview on BBC Radio 1's The Chris Moyles Show, Hammond and May confirmed that in Series 11 there will be a new "occasional regular host".[20] The series' executive producer, Andy Wilman, has also revealed that future programmes will have less time devoted to big challenges:

"We've looked back at the last two or three runs and noticed that a programme can get swallowed up by one monster film — a bit like one of those Yes albums from the 70s where side one is just one track — so we're trying to calm down the prog-rock side. We'll inevitably still have big films, because it's the only way you can enjoy the three of them cocking about together, but they'll be shorter overall, and alongside we'll be inserting two- or three-minute punk songs."

Laye night TV hosts that no-one really watches....though JLC does do some good "Reunion"shows by himself, trying to bring together the casts of classic shows just for the hell of it.....the Grange Hill show was a good'un, and The A-Team reunion was cool.....

A Cheap Car Challenge right off the bat! Short but fun.......the Stuntman Bit all seemed a bit pointless and desperate though - or was that just me?

I want that Ferrari....

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Season 12 is starting on Sunday 2nd November, for anyone interested :P

First challenge is cheap-car.........erm.......cheap-HGV challenge!

Can't wait for this series. Saw the hilarious trailer, and they've got another 2 road trips - back to the USA, and to Vietnam.

How much I await the words "and this is what happened....". I watch this show for the chemistry between the presenters, really don't give a crap about the cars :P