Amazing Stories! Yay!

sulky

And I thought this year was going to be a dry spell. I'm spending WAY too much money. Strike that. It's worth it.

Out of stock is this a joke?How can 3000 copies sell out in less than 3 hours?I need this...

I ordered it anyways,I hope the out of stock thing is a mistake

Oh wait it says Out of Stock on all c.d.'s that are "comming soon",so it WILL be in stock when it arrives.

Damn 30$US is pretty stiff for 15 minutes of Ghost Train.And we still have to order Vol.3 for The Mission.

It was the first time ever I heard the theme on the soundclip.It's good but it does sound like You Only Live Twice.Still,15 minutes of never heard before music from 1985 JW is worth my 30$

K.M.

Yes,but this the first IMPORTANT JW release in a very long time(well of older scores).Personally I couldn't care less about

Checkmate and I already have Witches of Eastwick.

Ghost Train is the only Modern JW music I've never heard before.

and I can't wait to hear the Williams conducted The Mission in clear sound.It's so much better than the McNeely re-recording

K.M.

Guest macrea
Yes,but this the first IMPORTANT  JW release in a very long time(well of older scores).Personally I couldn't care less about  

Checkmate and I already have Witches of Eastwick.

Ghost Train is the only Modern JW music I've never heard before.

and I can't wait to hear the Williams conducted The Mission in clear sound.It's so much better than the McNeely re-recording

K.M.

But you'll have to wait, since "the Mission" isn't on this volume.

So 17 minutes out of 145 makes it an important JW release? That particular adjective applies much more to "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" with three full previously-unreleased CDs encompassing the maestro's composing, conducting, and orchestrating genius on a big, ambitious project that earned him an Oscar nomination. To say nothing of the comprehensive analysis of the project that comes with it. But you've voiced your views before and I do not share them. That's fine, but your branding of something as "important" is nothing more than your own opinion. You use the word but what you mean is the first release in a long time that you care about, which readers of this MB can reasonably interpret as: anything post-1974 that preferably has the words Harry Potter or Superman in the title, or the names Lucas and/or Spielberg in the credits. The fact that you don't care about "Checkmate" and consider "Amazing Stories" to be an "older" score illuminates a narrow-minded view.

Goodbye Mr.Chips.I don't like the LP.What else can I say...I have yet to be convinced I need that 3 c.d. set untill I hear more Williams underscore.

I noticed you seem to take every occasion to lash out at me and call me narrow minded,when I have been listening to Williams longer than most people here and have pretty much every single Williams c.d. there is except a few from his "comedy phase" of the 60's(which i still have on cdr).

And for your information I don't watch only action movies with spaceships and explosions and magic....well maybe at the cinema I prefer "event" movies with special effects and big sound,but on DVD I rent pretty much everything I didn't get to see at the theater.

And yes,to me,16 minutes of 1985 Action/Adventure Williams music is more important than Mr.Chips,Penelope,John Goldfarb,Guide to the Married Man,Checkmate and Man who Loves Cat Dancing combined.

K.M.

This is great news!!!! Long overdue, hopefully John Addison's music to Joe Dante's 'The Grieble' episode will be included as it's terrific!

From what I can remember 'Ghost Train' is very etheric and meandering - more so than 'Always' so don't expect too much folks (without wanting to dampen excitement).

- Tim, really looking forward to this and the other releases.

John Williams fans really have good reasons to celebrate these days. Let me summarize:

1. Not With My Wife, You Don't!

2. Goodbye Mr. Chips (3-CD set)

3. Checkmate

4. Amazing Stories (both complete episode scores)

Did I miss something? That's 4 times JW (5 if you count the individual episodes separately) within less than half a year! It's hard to be disappointed by such a Williams banquet. Gosh, I wish Alan Silvestri scores would be released that frequently.

John Williams fans really have good reasons to celebrate these days. Let me summarize:

3. Checkmate

Did I miss something? That's 4 times JW (5 if you count the individual episodes separately) within less than half a year! It's hard to be disappointed by such a Williams banquet. Gosh, I wish Alan Silvestri scores would be released that frequently.

We've also had the re-released Witches of Eastwick and the MoaG iTunes exclusives.

And actually, both Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich were released in the last 6 months.

Dry spell, my ass! :P

This is fantastic. So many great composers worked on this series, here's hoping for more volumes to follow.

For those panicking Intrada always lists their CDs as out of print before they get them in stock.

For those interested in Doug's corner over at Intrada he does mention The Mission will be on one of the next 2 volumes.

The announcement was made earlier because people were asking Doug and Roger about this so much. They are about to receive the discs sometime today and will start shipping them immediately.

I like it when they announce something and have it in stock only one day later. That way, a new disc can arrive within one week after the initial announcement. Intrada was once so fast that the confirmation email arrived after the disc LOL

Dull year? If a williams fan really thinks that it's been a dull year so far, he surely must have been asleep during the last 6 months :)

I think that was based on the fact that we think/thought there would be no new scores this year.

By the way, did we ever find out what that BBC interviewer meant when she said about the new score?

While I'm happy to have Williams' involvement with AS I'm also excited about the other composers who will be represented in these sets.

Me too... I personally love all these recent releases. Checkmate I enjoy the smooth jazz, and with Goodbye Mr Chips I just love the feel to the music--even if it isn't entirely JW its still very much his adapted sound...

And then this should be a cool addition, not to mention it has a few other composeres on there I enjoy so I'm in no ways sad about this--except I wish The Mission had been on here :-p

I'm happy though that I don't have to buy season one and do a dvd rip --its in 5.1 can you believe that??? Dinosaurs from 1993 is only in stereo!

Anyways, So many cool things comming out...

In the words of Wooldoor Sockbat...

"WEEEEEEEE!"

This might be a good time to get a credit card :) I have been putting that off for far too long. Then I can get several hundred € poorer while buying all the scores I have been coveting for years.

Guest macrea

3. Checkmate

Did I miss something? That's 4 times JW (5 if you count the individual episodes separately) within less than half a year! It's hard to be disappointed by such a Williams banquet.

That's the attitude!

Sorry, Mark, but yours comes across as less than appreciative. It all comes down to this: you should simply say you only care about something rather tell everyone what's important. But another factor here is that I was so blown away by "Chips" and you are really missing out. It's a Williams feast. The music is a reminder of why John Williams is so great, a much more powerful one for me than even most of his 90's work. The detail about his career in the booklet alone makes it worth it. It's one thing to just be able to FINALLY retire some old LP's (not only Chips, but Checkmate, Rhythm in Motion, and Not With My Wife), but "Chips" goes above and beyond in every way and I can't understand any serious Williams collector not getting it. You're not buying a Lexus, for heaven's sake, it's $35 for 3 CDs and a big booklet.

The release of those "older" Amazing Stories scores is great news, of course, but as I recall there was a strong desire for albums back when the show originally aired. It's taken 20 years for that wrong to be righted and for me it's a bit too late to make me jump for joy. However, I'm sure that will change when the music finally is heard. Every major film composer worked on the show, and I think it's going to be a revelation that this "TV music" is far superior to most of the feature music we hear today. As for Williams' tiny portion of this album, it's long overdue, and it fills a long empty gap, but for me so have the other releases.

Incidentally, I wouldn't categorize "Ghost Train" with "Always." It's much more melodic and thematic, perhaps closer to "E.T." than anything else or some of the quieter moments in "Hook." Come to think of it, it's even similar to some of the underscore in "Chips."

"Oh Yeah!" Coolaid man breaks through the wall carrying Ghostrain soundtrack!

Kids: "Whoa kool-aid man, what are you carrying now!"

Kool-aid man: "Rare, rrare, rrrare soundtracks from AMAA_A__A_Azing Sto_O_O_O_O_Riiiees! Oh YEAH!"

Kids and Cool-aid man suddenly sh*t powerfully with joy, screaming/laughing for 10 minutes while excreting.

This is a great day, indeed.

They should have picked up the Family Plot master tapes in their trip to the vault.

I may get Mr.Chips then...

K.M.

I guess we are approaching bigger things from the universal vault. Think of the row of Williams releases that could be reality tomorrow once Universal opens up.

And not just Williams. There is so much more. The list of holy grails from universal is endless but amazing stories was a good start. Now they will hopefully continue and dig deeper.

I got a finalized order email today... Guess that means its shipping?

If this is a sign of whats to come... I reaally will be happy... ::crosses fingers:: complete jurassic park, complete Jurassic park, complete Jurassic Park!

Complete HPPS,HPPOA,TOD and ROTS would make me happy.

Throw in official complete Hook, Last Crusade, and first two SW prequels and I'm right there with you. Gee, we don't ask for much do we? :mrgreen:

Complete HPPS,HPPOA,TOD and ROTS would make me happy.

Throw in official complete Hook, Last Crusade, and first two SW prequels and I'm right there with you. Gee, we don't ask for much do we? :mrgreen:

yep,thats' the stuff I want.And Family Plot.

but guess what,were getting Daddy-O and Diamond Head next....

K.M.

yep,thats' the stuff I want.And Family Plot.

but guess what,were getting Daddy-O and Diamond Head next....

K.M.

Yes but ... must you make that clear in every post? In every thread? Can't you just let it rest, mark?! Do you really have to be so selfish?!

:mrgreen:

Alex

They should have picked up the Family Plot master tapes  in their trip to the vault. K.M.

I burnt those tapes years ago. Highly unlikely that Williams will do a re-recording unless John Debney volunteers.

Hitch, who can't wait to hear the 10 min Horner segement on the Amazing Stories CD.

16 minutes sure is short for a score...it does say were getting the complete scores from the episodes featured.I hope I don't eventually find out there's unreleased Ghost Train music.

K.M.

The episodes are 30 minutes, right? That would mean just over half of it is scored, which sounds about right to me.

My order is still "awating fulfillment" at the moment. :mrgreen:

16  minutes sure is short for a score...it does say were getting the complete scores from the episodes featured.I hope I don't eventually find out there's unreleased Ghost Train music.

K.M.

All I remember from Ghost Train is that it was a shamefull John Barry rip-off!