Movies 2008

MSM

Which movies coming out next year are you looking forward to?

Mine:

Angels and Demons 1

National Treasure 2

The Mummy 3

Indiana Jones 4

Batman 5

Harry Potter 6

:P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfotunatly, me to. And I'm the optimist of this bunch, generally speaking (I thought 06' was not a bad year). Although in addition to Potter 5, I am also excited about Stardust and Beowolf (Neil Gaiman fan, and I've heard/seen nothing I didn't like about either film).

Peio, in Lincoln he gets assasinated, by John Wilkes Booth

Angels and Demons 1

Indiana Jones 4

Harry Potter 6

These I'm looking forward to...Angels and Demons was a better book than Da Vinci, and more cinematic and exciting as well. I'm not against IJ 4 like a lot of people...I wasn't hoping for another one, but now that it's happening, I imagine it'll be pretty good. Plus, it will be interesting to hear how modern Williams approaches it. Also from this year, Stardust and The Waterhorse could be good (the latter mainly for the score).

Ray Barnsbury

Looking at my list on IMDb...

Bond 22 (Of course.)

Boone's Lick (Tom Hanks? Western? I'm in.)

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (*Yawn* I'll end up seeing it anyway.)

The Dark Knight (Looking promising)

Ender's Game (Everyone says the book is amazing. Here's hoping the film doesn't suck.)

Fahrenheit 451 (Directed by Frank "Still bitter about Indy" Darabont)

Fanboys (As long as the Weinsteins don't delay it for a, what, 7th time?)

The Flash (Doubt this will be out then)

Fourth Installment of the Indiana Jones Adventures (#1 most looking forward to film right now)

Get Smart (Steve Carell makes me mighty optimistic)

Goners (Joss. Gotta see it.)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Yay, more Harry.)

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (Eh.)

Igor (John Cleese. Will see.)

The Incredible Hulk (Return of the stretchy purple shorts)

Kung Fu Hustle 2 (Stupid fun.)

Open Hearts (Directed by Zack Braff!)

The Power of the Dark Crystal (Hopefully Genndy won't screw it up)

Red Tails (George really gonna have this out next year? I doubt it.)

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (Leo; could be great)

The Risk Pool (You had me at Hanks)

Star Trek (At least we'll get a good score out of it)

The Untouchables: Capone Rising (Curious.)

Voltron (I hate anime, but I love Voltron)

Wolverine (Not sure this will happen next year either)

Hellboy 2

Thank god Del Toro is doing it.

Thank god? The first was entertaining but forgettable, aside from the image of Ron Perlman as Hellboy.

And there are plenty of movies to see.

Morlock- who has seen a lot of movies, but has a huge list of stuff he's never seen, and directors he doesn't know at all

So if you buy a new one you might have to wait months to watch it? :lol:

I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight and Bond 22 a lot, apart from that I don't know what's coming out. I'm sure there'll be plenty more nearer the time.

So if you buy a new one you might have to wait months to watch it? :lol:

That's actually the case right now. :lol:

It helps build anticipation. ;)

I watch them in the order in which they were purchased.

You know when you purchased each DVD!? Except for the ones I bought abroad or at Amazon, I don't think I can place any DVD I haven't purchsed recently.

I watch them in the order in which they were purchased.

You know when you purchased each DVD!? Except for the ones I bought abroad or at Amazon, I don't think I can place any DVD I haven't purchsed recently.

Well, new purchases go in order on my shelf, and I use DVD Profiler to keep up my collection, so if I want I can even look up the exact date of purchase.

Where do you find the time to watch those blasted things, Marc?

It does get cramped sometimes. I actually don't think I'll get around to watching Crimson Tide until tomorrow evening, as I have to attend a meeting elsewhere tonight. Luckily the TV series give me some breathing space.

- Marc, who just realized he hasn't made a single on-topic post in this thread yet. :lol:

Hellboy 2

Thank god Del Toro is doing it.

Thank god? The first was entertaining but forgettable, aside from the image of Ron Perlman as Hellboy.

Actually, I think it's very entertaining. I think it's one of the best comic book films ever made. Of course, the most important aspect of the film is Hellboy and Perlman does a stellar job indeed. The fact that an unattractive "anti-hero" with different moral motives becomes such an appealing character is already worth many points in my book. Del Toro definitely made an effort to give the characters shape. Abe Sapien (fish creature) is a good example of this. There's also a beautifully created dark atmosphere (instead of all those sunny ones in other comic films) that adds a lot to the whole experience. There's a masked and scary antagonist (Kroening) which I think is presented just about perfect. Its menace comes forth not from the dialog but from the mise-en-scene and movement. Together with the first 2 X-Men films, it's the only comic film I care about. It's pulp, sure, but it's pulp extraordinaire. That you didn't get more out of it probably makes you one of a handful "critics" that missed out on the added value Del Toro brought to this movie.

Alex

With a lesser director, Hellboy would have easily fallen into just another forgettable comic book film.

That you didn't get more out of it probably makes you one of a handful "critics" that missed out on the added value Del Toro brought to this movie.

Possibly (I certainly had no idea who he was before it), but it is also possible that a good movie might leave more of an impression on one viewer than another, without him 'missing' anything.

Yet interesting in some ways though.

I agree, I thought it had some interesting angles but, boy, what a mess this film is.

too bad Connery is not coming back for Indy

"I get asked the question so often, I thought it best to make an announcement. I thought long and hard about it and if anything could have pulled me out of retirement it would have been an Indiana Jones film. I love working with Steven and George, and it goes without saying that it is an honor to have Harrison as my son. But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun. I, do however, have one bit of advice for Junior: Demand that the critters be digital, the cliffs be low, and for goodness sake keep that whip by your side at all times in case you need to escape from the stunt coordinator! This is a remarkable cast, and I can only say, 'Break a leg, everyone.' I'll see you on May 22, 2008 at the theater!"

from comingsoon.net

I forgot to mention that I'm looking forward to the film adaptation of Marley and Me...the only problem is that it's directed by Shawn Levy, who did Night at the Museum, The Pink Panther, Cheaper by the Dozen, Big Fat Liar, etc. So I hope it's not just a goofy slapstick-fest with a CGI-enhanced grinning dog, but rather that it gets to the heart and joy of the story.

Ray Barnsbury