Pixar's Wall-E

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually looking forward to it. When I first heard of the project I thought it had potential to be a very good film.

Yes, but it seems Pixar has been able to release a film every year to couple of years, which is pretty incredible.

I dont actually think they are that fast. By this year they would have put out 8 films since 1995, while Dreamworks Animation would have done 9 since 1998 (excluding 2D and stop motion cartoons)

I dont actually think they are that fast. By this year they would have put out 8 films since 1995, while Dreamworks Animation would have done 9 since 1998 (excluding 2D and stop motion cartoons)

But, you have to consider that 2 of those 9 movies were sequels which they already had the engine and all that stuff for.

PIXAR don't churn them out - they have different people working on different films at any one time. They often overlap production of films; Finding Nemo and The Incredibles were simultaneous for a long while.

The difference between them and Dreamworks for instance is the talent. All of the right people are at PIXAR.

Just read in Time magazine that Star Wars sound designer (and Williams arch-enemy) Ben Burtt is going to be "electronically" voicing the main characters in the film and that the movie's plot is actually based on City Lights, a Charlie Chaplin silent film. Interesting...

A step down, but not so big a step that it wouldn't still be an enjoyable movie. And I'd still rank it higher than A Bug's Life (although I have yet to re-watch Cars).

Do the formulaic Dreamworks films have a single bit of timelessness or longetivity?

Every single one is based around pop references and cute animals (the formula for non-Pixar 3D animation it seems).

ben burrt work for pixar now.

I'm sorry for the poor guy that makes the score :P

Blah blah blah. I doubt he'll have as much influence as on the Star Wars prequels.

And if anyone can come up with cool sound-driven voices for robots, it's Ben Burtt.

Yeah!

But in the process he may fight his way becuase he doesnt like music overshadowing his work.

Sorry, this is not blah blah.

We would have gotten a great AOTC Arena scene if this guy hadnt opened his mouth.

(and well if Lucas hadnt agreed with him, and Ken Wannberg and John Williams had more guts :P )

Yes no need to bash Burtt. His work on sound effects for all six films is and was fantastic. The only problem is he probably shouldn't have been made editor.

Cars is generally considered to be a step down though....

Pixar is also guilty of retelling the same pinocchio tale over and over again (Nemo and Cars).

There's always a competition between sound effects and music. Every sound designer comes across that.

Enough with the Burtt-bashing already.

Cant' believe my eyes really.

hope to see the same about lucas someday. (armageddon, i suppose)

Really, the guy just switches company (to a loved and popular one) and transfroms from butcher great sound designer to just great sound designer...

Yes no need to bash Burtt. His work on sound effects for all six films is and was fantastic. The only problem is he probably shouldn't have been made editor.

His creative sound work is genius.

His aesthetics of the soundscape is questionable.  His mix of Revenge of the Sith was particularly weak.  

A step down, but not so big a step that it wouldn't still be an enjoyable movie. And I'd still rank it higher than A Bug's Life (although I have yet to re-watch Cars).

I happen to agree with Marian here. Most people seem to believe that Pixar's "winning streak" came to an end with Cars, but I'd actually rate A Bug's Life, Pixar's second major feature, below it.

Until the release of Ratatouille later this month, this is how the films rank for me:

Classic

1. Toy Story 2 (1999)

2. Toy Story (1995)

3. The Incredibles (2004)

-

Great

4. Monsters, Inc. (2001)

5. Finding Nemo (2003)

-

Good

6. Cars (2006)

7. A Bug's Life (1998)

Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo are ok , the rest of them are really...annoying.

I've always liked more Dreamworks' stuff.They are more original and something new comparing to

pixar's movies , which are just traditional Disney stuff in a different package.

Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo are ok , the rest of them are really...annoying.

I've always liked more Dreamworks' stuff.They are more original and something new comparing to

pixar's movies , which are just traditional Disney stuff in a different package.

yeah shark tale is a classic.

:mellow:

Had it not been for the high movie prices I would have walked out of Shark Tale. What crap.

When it comes to CGI animated movies there is no company who comes close to Pixar.

I would rate A Bug's Life as the "worst" Pixar film. I enjoyed Cars.

I liked A Bug's Life. Even if it the "worst" Pixar film, it's still better than what Dreamworks has to offer.

I think it's cute....but for me, the best Pixar shorts are Gerry's Game and One Man Band. Seen them more than any of the films. Perfectly executed ideas.

Morlock- who thinks that A Bug's Life is one of their stronger films (not that the barrell with them is very low, but still)

Cars is easily my least favorite. Lacking almost all the spark of the others.

Has anyone seen Pixar's latest short, Lifted? There used to be a short clip you could watch, but it seems to be gone. It was pretty funny.

For more on WALL-E, see the following blog entry (contains potential spoilers of the first third of the film):

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/arc...sday-again.aspx

I had the chance to talk with someone associated with this new Andrew Stanton film who just couldn't contain themselves. They had to talk about "WALL E."

Why For? Because this individual believes that Stanton's next movie is important. That it's going to be such a step up from the work that Andrew did on "Finding Nemo" that "WALL E" is going to shock people. Both for its choice of source material as well as its style of storytelling.

And the story that this animation insider told me ... It's such a departure for Pixar, such a ballsy choice that one wonders how mainstream audiences are actually going to react to "WALL E." Will they be able to embrace a message movie that so liberally mixes science fiction & satire?