SoundtrackNet's Lastest First Listen

Hlao-roo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having some issues loading these on a Mac (I've tried both Safari and Firefox). After clicking "CLICK HERE TO PLAY," it justs shows a horizontal slice of the Quicktime logo.

Based on the clips it doesn't sound like it will impress too many people here.

Sounds about as good as Doyle's score but still no Williams.

Listening on my PC now.

It's pretty good, but there's nothing very unique or noteworthy. Sporadically creative, but also very predictable and annoyingly modern in parts.

I want to hear the parts not in the clips. Some of the way they're described intruige me greatly. I may actually buy this one. It's not williams, no, but it's definately NOT Doyle (thank god).

I dont' like the perhaps...overuse of gloc and harp... and some of the sounds I don't like in the clips... but again, the things I do want to hear arn't in these so... it's hard to say.

I'm interested to see how well it goes with the film and if it feels more like Harry Potter than the last one.

I'm following my usual policy of not listening to clips (something I broke when those snippets appears on the WB site), I'll wait until the CD comes out. But I must say the comments so far and the review itself are tempering the enthusiasm I was starting to gain for this. Reading between the lines on the review it seems like they weren't very impressed, it was full of just by-the-numbers comments.

Blah! The wailing electric guitar just ruins everything in the first track! I only managed to listen to the first track..

I'm having problem with that media server....

EDIT: The second track is alright... But I still got to listen all the other tracks if I can without any problems with the media server...

Electric guitars!!!? Are you kidding me!? Horner pulled it off well for Perfect Storm, but for a HP movie? Well, I guess I'll wait to see how it sounds in the movie.

The album runs 52-minutes in length (leaving over an hour of score unreleased)

Oh, you've gotta be joking.

What did you expect?

I wish the album weren't so short. I like most of these tracks. The electric guitar is....interesting. Where exactly in Book 5 are there fireworks?

Also, The Sacking of Trelawny is quite forgettable. After listening to that, I forgot what I had just heard. With over an hour of unreleased music, surely there's something better than this cue....

But when over 50% of the music is unreleased I can't help but wish there was a 2-CD release.

your kidding right?Based on these sound clips I'm not sure I can listen to 52 minutes of it.

i dunno..those generic orchestral emotionnal swells at the end ...a bit like that Personnal Theme from Superman Returns score leave me cold.It's like there's no personallity in it.

But when over 50% of the music is unreleased I can't help but wish there was a 2-CD release.

your kidding right?Based on these sound clips I'm not sure I can listen to 52 minutes of it.

I knoooow! It's not John Williams, so therefore it's crap!

It didn't give me any chills. The score seems ok, but I didn't hear nothing special in those short clips. The most enjoyable part for me was the Umbrigdge theme. I still believe I may change my mind after listening to the whole, given that the longer clip available on JWfan sounds quite more interesting. Nevertheless, after Soundtrack.net's first listen Doyle's effort made a better impression on me than this one.

Nothing stood out to me but then again, they're only clips (which I had to get the full rtsp URLs for in order to play - please stop using that stupid quicktime plugin).

I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing but my expectations have been very slightly lowered.

I liked most of it, but it definitely does not come close to the stuff that Williams wrote. Also, I enjoyed Doyle's score, but there were parts of it that I didn't like, that seemed that they were meant for another movie other than Goblet of Fire. I'll probably buy the new score, but I do think that it is suprisingly short.

One word: Amateurish!

It sounds like the Midi- Mock- Ups were 1:1 translated to the real orchestra.

The overall sound is so... small.

Like a TV Show or something like this. The melodies are sometimes nice, but where are the background structures that even Doyles Score have?

I'm not talking as a JW fanboy here. Imho, the music ist just so simple (sometimes good, less is often more) but it is kind of holllow and superficial.

I guess I'll have to hear the whole thing before I can make a judgment. The clips disappointed me a little, but I think there's quite a bit of good work we have yet to hear.

Soundtracknet usually puts the best part of cues in their clips.Before someone says I can only be impressed by Williams,I still can be impressed by other composers,like last years Pan's Labirinth.

The clips sound like like a crappy modern score with generic emotionnal cues I've been hearing in scores like Superman Returns and X Men 3 or Narnia

Upon listening the samples for the first time, I'm quite impressed. That is, for a non-John Williams score it sounds pretty good. I gotta say I'm even more impressed than upon listening GoF (which I still don't own). This is probably Nicholas Hooper's big break, so we shouldn't be too hard on him. I think he did a good work, from what I can say at this point; but we should probably wait for the movie to come out before we judge him.

I am wicked excited about this. It sounds to me as though it fits right into the Harry Potter world. Some new themes that he seems to have taken seriously and given them a proper treatment.

~Conor

Soundtracknet usually puts the best part of cues in their clips.Before someone says I can only be impressed by Williams,I still can be impressed by other composers,like last years Pan's Labirinth.

....A fine but ununique score. You're still missing out on so many interesting film scores.

....A fine but ununique score. You're still missing out on so many interesting film scores.

it deserved the oscar more that the crap with capitals. :P

Don't assume I only listen to JW.I now have 550 albums on my itunes,but they are mostly 1970 to 1995 scores.My problem is that those MV type composers are transcribing their new scores to real orchestra,which only makes them sound marginally better and some a fooled into thinking they are like old style scores(maybe by lack of good material of late?)

I don't like John Powell,Harry Grigson Williams Steeve Jablonsky or John Ottman even if they write orchestral scores now and have somewhat evolved from their MV roots..I deleted my MP3's of Superman Returns,Narnia and X-Men 3 to make room on my HD becase I would not listen to them more than once

I have to agree with Mark. These composers are hardly compelling, and Hooper seems dangerously close to fitting in with them.

(which I had to get the full rtsp URLs for in order to play - please stop using that stupid quicktime plugin).

I'm still having problems getting those sample clips to work. I even tried using those full rtsp URLs but it comes up with a 400 error auto disconnected.... This media server from soundtrack.net sucks!

If for some reason they blocked my IP address to be able to play those streaming clips....

I even tried it on bootcamp on windows so it does not work on either OS...

I can't believe I'm reading this - we've heard a bunch of 30 second clips and you're already consigning Hooper to the depths of MV?

Only 13% of my scores collection is Williams. I currently can't stop listening to PotC: AWE and the Medal of Honor series. Actually, I just got Fantastic Four 2 today. Deleted all but 3 tracks but I did still give it a chance before discarding it.

Me?

I haven't got a chance to listen to all the tracks except track number 1 yesterday as I already commented about it because I having problems with this quicktime streaming thing and I'm still am..... Apart from me having trouble with quicktime to play these streamed clips as I said ...there still reconsideration to hooper's score when I be able listen to it all... There might some tracks or cues that I might like...

Alternately I'm waiting for iTunes to put it on their store online so I listen there or otherwise I wait for AOL listening party or the movie...

Well, it sounds ok. I won't totally disregard it, because there is some nice composition in there, and some decent orchestration too. He has a lot of potential.

The standards have been lowered, that's for sure. I have no doubt that if half the film scores being made now had been brought into an orchestra in the golden era, there would have been some raised eyebrows in the orchestra. Still, the fact that Zimmer and many other composers are starting to record again shows a trend in the right direction, and the musicianship of this group is not bad, and the sound is not bad considering it's a modified chamber orchestra.

Good work by Hooper, but it does sound a bit young.

~JW

I don't like John Powell,Harry Grigson Williams Steeve Jablonsky or John Ottman even if they write orchestral scores now and have somewhat evolved from their MV roots.

John Ottman has no MV roots.

I can't believe I'm reading this - we've heard a bunch of 30 second clips and you're already consigning Hooper to the depths of MV?

Indeed. Even for this board, I've seen surprisingly little "I'll just wait and see" comments. :P

I never got around to buying Doyle's soundtrack, but the score in the film's grown on me a bit, so I might go out and get it.

As for Hooper's score, that first track sounds interesting in an unorthodox sort of way. I'm looking forward to it!

I never got around to buying Doyle's soundtrack, but the score in the film's grown on me a bit, so I might go out and get it.

As for Hooper's score, that first track sounds interesting in an unorthodox sort of way. I'm looking forward to it!

I didnt buy Doyle's score even at a price of 2USD at a used store, though the main reason was probably because the cover was slighlty damaged

I currently can't stop listening to PotC: AWE and the Medal of Honor series.

Medal of Honor is maddeningly addictive aint it? :P

I currently can't stop listening to PotC: AWE and the Medal of Honor series.

Medal of Honor is maddeningly addictive aint it? :P

Yeah, in a 'chocolate' kind of way

In the other hand the other, is like a bad synthesithed hard drug