OK folks....time to fess up

Beowulf

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many problems with Zimmer, and certainly with specific scores and cues. His electronics are still a big problem (even though not nearly as much as they used to be, at least now he can lose them almost entirely when he wants to). But his biggest flaw, in my mind, can also be his biggest strengh. That idea of approaching most scores from the POV of 'having fun' with the material. It often prevents him from making great music. But, on the other hand, it makes his scores unique (to my ears, at least), and provides for some very inventive scores and terrific albums. I have no use for more than one Zimmer, though, which is why I care as little for the numerous nameless MV composers as most people do, and am far more interested in his proteges that starting out doing Zimmer and developed their own voice and style later on.

In general, I like Zimmer for his freshness. For a while there, it seemed to be rejecting all conventions of film scoring. I think that now, he has achieved some sort of balance, and I think there is a significant imporovement in his works in his post 00' scores. Zimmer loves film scoring, and is interested in exploring new territory for himself whenever possible.

And, also, I do agree that a lot of his best work are on smaller projects. I've recently been listen to The Holiday, As good as it gets, Spanglish, and An Everlasting Piece far more than his 'louder' stuff. And I also love his stringy scores (Hannibal, Da Vinci Code, House of the Spirits, Invincible). But I also like some of his action work. The key word in those is also fun (not all of them, by any means. Can't stand many of them).

Refreshing to hear one of the 'old guard' speak of Zimmer in such a way.

I can't get enough of The Battle.

Boy I can. Whenever it was I listened to it last I had to hit the ol' "skip track" button way before it was over. I still really like Patricide, though. Zimmer's at his best when he's doing the smaller stuff.

A bit noisy, isn't it? Not just a few notches below The Battle Hoth.

The Rock is the first soundtrack I ever bought. So, no matter what, it will always be a sentimental favorite.

Alright I'll admit it.... not only do I own Zimmer scores, I also own Williams scores. And Silvestri, and Elfman, and Shore...

We needed a thread for this?

I'm sorry bondo,

It's just that I needed to tell someone....anyone.

Its almost like this is an AA meeting or something.

"Hello everyone......my name is Beowulf.....and I own more than 3 Hans Zimmer scores"

Tell you what though, it *has* made me feel a wee bit better. :)

Why would admitting to liking particular film scores make you feel better? What do you care what other people think about your scores? I wasn't aware this was a popularity contest. Hell, I own more than five Trevor Rabin scores! I don't care if other people hate him though.

No, apparently to enjoy any MV (sorry--should be RCP) music, on any level, is now considered by a certain elite to be indicative of lower intelligence. I think Beowulf was just succumbing to that mentality a little bit and deciding to play it safe by not boasting about the fact that the scores he owns clearly indicate primitive, Neanderthalesque machinations inside the skull cap in which he pretends to hide a brain.

(Psssst...that was a jab at self-righteous anti-Zimmer extremists, not at you, Beowulf. :) )

While justified to a certain extent, some of these extreme attitudes towards MV-type music are just like classical elitists discounting all film music as a whole. Ironic, really.

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah...no kidding. At times, there can be good reasons for both negative biases. But to just dismiss all of either one on principle is foolish, IMO. Though I don't have a problem with anyone simply not enjoying either one.

Long time jwfan reader, never posted until now. I own Backdraft, Gladiator, The Rock and A League of Their Own. The only one that wasn't given to me and that I purchased is A League of Their Own, and bought it only for the Final Game cue - he had some great arrangers write that one for him! I'll listen to Zimmer every once in a while, mostly when I'm driving and I need to stay awake. However, I have a hard time giving him compositional kudos for anything. You can always weed out an average composer when they clearly have no control over form. But, his music does have it's good qualities - it's great for learning how to compose variations on the same theme and motives for over 10 years!

On a serious note, Johnny Dub is a golden god.

While justified to a certain extent, some of these extreme attitudes towards MV-type music are just like classical elitists discounting all film music as a whole. Ironic, really.

Ray Barnsbury

Ironic being the key word. Hypocrisy is another way of putting it.

I find the discussions around here pretty interesting, but this place nearly always leaves a sour taste in my mouth upon leaving. Who'd have thought that mere film music fans could be so snobby...

Well, if its only my views and opinions about Zimmer and his company that make me a snob then I will gladly agree with that. Weird that having opposite views on a subject matter automatically makes one a snob, or an extremist, or whatever else minority one gets pushed in.

Sweet zombie jesus!

This is the last time I try and start a light-hearted thread. From now on it will be nothing but high-brow intellectual commentary and discussion from me.

;)

I'll listen to Zimmer every once in a while, mostly when I'm driving and I need to stay awake.

I hear that man - nothing like Zimmer to get the ole feet tapping and keep the eyelids open during those long cross-state journeys.

On a serious note, Johnny Dub is a golden god.

"He speaks for all of us".

And welcome to the boards by the way! ;)

Don't be too afraid of some of the posters here....they're just a bit curmudgeonry because they haven't had their afternoon nap yet (or ever).

Well, if its only my views and opinions about Zimmer and his company that make me a snob then I will gladly agree with that. Weird that having opposite views on a subject matter automatically makes one a snob, or an extremist, or whatever else minority one gets pushed in.

Yes I'm happy to be a snob as well. If prefering good music over junk makes me snobby I'll happily wear that label.

I have always enjoyed Zimmer. I don't care about any flak I get for saying that, but there is just something about his riffs that I really enjoy! So, therefore, I have over 100!

new.jpg

No wonder this happened!

;) ;) ;):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beowolf:

No, nothing major was destroyed. I had my JG@20th fox set fall completely out of harms way... into the wastebasket.

Other than some minor jewel case replacing, there weren't that many problems arising from that. Besides the loseing of $200+ worth of materials, and spending around the same amount to rebuild........ everything was ok!

I still buy, and look forward to, Zimmers' releases!!!

Much to Morlocks shergrin.

Nope, that ain't it at all. Snobbery is presenting one's opinions as absolute fact--or at least as the only opinion that people of any sort of intelligence should have. Sarcasm in the delivery doesn't help. And, mind you, I don't believe anyone is labeling you specifically a snob. ;) It's just that in certain circles--including more'n a few around here--there's a general attitude of disrespect toward people who enjoy Zimmer's music. Disagreement's fine...being a jerk about it isn't.

Yup, I'll leave my soapbox now after being disappointed (yet again) by Zimmer's POTC: AWE. What an ironic acronym for that movie and score...hmmmm. ;)

I have always enjoyed Zimmer. I don't care about any flak I get for saying that, but there is just something about his riffs that I really enjoy! So, therefore, I have over 100!

new.jpg

No wonder this happened!

;) ;) ;):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beowolf:

No, nothing major was destroyed. I had my JG@20th fox set fall completely out of harms way... into the wastebasket.

Other than some minor jewel case replacing, there weren't that many problems arising from that. Besides the loseing of $200+ worth of materials, and spending around the same amount to rebuild........ everything was ok!

I still buy, and look forward to, Zimmers' releases!!!

Much to Morlocks shergrin.

No offense, but was that event really so much of a catastrophe for you that you need a memorial for it like it was 9/11? There are children starving in Africa, you know.

Well considering you were not here at the time and did not witness the endless ribbing members gave Johnny over the disaster I wouldn't really worry about it.

I'm not worried about it, but it just irks me when people treat film soundtracks as their sole reason for living. Not that Johnny does that, per se.

The Great Collapse was quite the event here.

Maybe we should write a Board History thingy some day, so the newer members can understand the running jokes or old references.