New Varese Club CDs on July 2

robthehand

http://www.varesesarabande.com/News.asp

"We’re havin’ a heat wave. A CD Club heat wave! Get ready for a last blast of cool CD Club releases to help get you through the summer. Five new titles, including a new release from Masters Film Music … maybe even a 2 CD set! Don’t miss stopping by on July 2 for some midnight madness … CD Club style!"

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope they're not as lame as a lot of their recent releases.

Morlock- who is getting his wisdom teeth pulled that day

why does anyone want Alien so badly?There's a readily available more complete boot in good sound made from DVD iso score available.It's like wanting 1941 complete released...what a waste of time

Inst 1941 heavily edited and tracked?

Yeah,could be,but if I don't really notice because I don't know the score as in depth as some others.What I have is good enough.I don't see how a more persice representation would improve my appreciatio of it

I'm having the strangest feeling of deja-vu.

As for Alien, KM.

The sound quality of the boot, the iso score and indeed the Silve OST leaves a lot to be desired. Also, it would be nice to have this fantastic score in a proper and legal presentation.

why does anyone want Alien so badly?There's a readily available more complete boot in good sound made from DVD iso score available.It's like wanting 1941 complete released...what a waste of time

As Stefan already said, the iso sounds like crap, even worse then the old Silva release. Plus some people's Silva discs are bronzing, and the album has been hard to find for years. And it's one of the great Goldsmith scores.

Reasons enough methinks. :)

:) Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

I think it was Nick Redman who explained over at the Intrada board why we won't be getting Alien any time soon.

It came down to the fact that they didn't find any tapes that were in good enough quality to warrant a release.

What a pity; this is the one Goldsmith score that is really worth it. (As opposed to some of his dated synth scores.)

I always though Alien 'noise background' was because they had recorded it that way, since that the OST has it too. And the movie (or has the non iso score (the one mixed with SFX and voice) a better mix?)

Could be Monsignor. On the other hand, the summer releases were always of lower profile scores (remember the newman double header from last year?), so I guess we will get a couple of certain composers fan favourites but no goldsmith, bernstein or williams calibers.

I would welcome a legit, correctly assembled 1941.

I'm sure they will something of interest to me, especially with a Masters Film Music release.

(remember the newman double header from last year?)

I would have rather just gotten the complete Sandlot score. The same goes for the release of "Rookie of the Year." Some pretty nice baseball scores.

It would...

If the score didnt run for just 60-70 mins alternates included....

I know, but people always want the Freud tracks included with Alien for God knows what reason. I don't care if it was tracked into the movie or not, I don't want it on there!

And my DVD rip of Alien lasts around 70 minutes. 76 or something like that. Alternates included. So you're definitely right!

It would be great to have legitimate versions of Dutch and Buckaroo Banzai, two scores Varese was supposed to release!

As Stefan already said, the iso sounds like crap, even worse then the old Silva release. Plus some people's Silva discs are bronzing, and the album has been hard to find for years. And it's one of the great Goldsmith scores.

Reasons enough methinks. :)

:) Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

well,the Alien boot sounds hissy,but not Concorde Hook or Last Crusade Expanded bad.

As far as Alfred Newman,I just can't get into most of his stuff.

K.M.

It would be great to have legitimate versions of Dutch and Buckaroo Banzai, two scores Varese was supposed to release!

Ah, yes! I had forgotten about Dutch! At least in the film, it's a pretty short score. That shouldn't be a major issue... Of course, I don't know what kind of unused cues and alternates exist. The last cue you hear in film isn't really a good ending cue. I hope Silvestri did record a finale and/or end credits cue. But there's some good stuff there. That would indeed be nice.

As far as Dutch is concerned, there is a complete bootleg with horrible sound out there which runs nearly an hour, so there sure is enough material for a standalone release.

Another one that came to my mind recently is David Newman's Anastacia. A 2-CD promo exists, the movie is a fox production and thus it could be a candidate for the 2-CD set.

Cool. Do you have any idea as to what the track listing is for that boot?

And, Anastasia is a pretty good score, as I recall. Although I find it hard to imagine David Newman not spinning out at least a decent score for an animated film.

And it's one of the great Goldsmith scores.

I don't think you need to specify that much. I'd take Goldsmith's name out of your sentence. :angry:

I've been trying to sit and write a review of the Star Trek score for you, but I'm trying to let some time pass. Big things like this take time. Hopefully, in one more month or so of quiet I can write something that won't sound like an overexcited fanboy claiming most of his scores from the last 5 years have been put to shame by a one-hour long CD.

Of course, if that's how I come across in a month, then there'd be no point denying what I've turned into.

I've been trying to sit and write a review of the Star Trek score for you, but I'm trying to let some time pass. Big things like this take time. Hopefully, in one more month or so of quiet I can write something that won't sound like an overexcited fanboy claiming most of his scores from the last 5 years have been put to shame by a one-hour long CD.

Of course, if that's how I come across in a month, then there'd be no point denying what I've turned into.

That sounds about right (if it's TMP you are referring to).

Neil

The one thing that worries me is that I can't claim I have properly experienced the score without watching the movie it accompanies.

Don't worry, if I decide to watch it, I wouldn't leave any element at random. I'd have to wait until my roommates are gone, lock the doors of my apartment, and turn off the lights so that visitors think that I'm not home.

Don't wanna be caught watching Trek!

I thought Trek was usually boring as hell.

Well, I'm not sure "boring" is the right word for those William Shatner fight scenes.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have any fight scenes in TMP.

:)

Are you implying that long shots of nothing are boring? :devil: