New Varese Club CDs on July 2

robthehand

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the only version of TMP available on DVD, and it's also the best version, so yes. But if you don't like it, don't let that put you off watching the next one (The Wrath of Khan), which is different in just about every imaginable way.

So, were I to go ahead and watch a Trek movie, should I get the DE?

Were you to go ahead and watch a Trek movie, you should get The Wrath of Khan. Were you to go ahead and watch STTMP, I suppose you should get the DE.

ST:TMP DE really doesn't add anything to the film, outside of the completed opening credits and the shots of Vulcan.

ST:TMP DE really doesn't add anything to the film, outside of the completed opening credits and the shots of Vulcan.

It's a good thing you didn't notice the rest of the changes. The goal was to make it look and sound like it was finished in 1979, not 2001.

The entire sound mix was augmented and there are editorial decisions throughout the entire movie. And occasionally there is a new effects shot. It's all done subtly (unlike some other films with new CG and re-edits) but the cumulative effect is that the movie feels finished now, whereas before it didn't. Going back to the 1979 release version is really like going back to a workprint. Pacing is a little off and the incomplete effects and lack of a proper sound mix really stand out.

Neil

I thought the effects in the original, outside of Vulcan, were fine. The new Starfleet HQ matte shot looks worse and more obvious than the original.

The new effect shots, while nice, are much like the Star Wars SE, they don't do anything.

I admit I like the film, mostly due to Goldsmith and nostalgia of seeing the crew back together but nothing can save this film from being what it is. If they really wanted to improve the pace they could cut out some of the Vejur fly over shots and most of the Ilia - Decker moments.

I was able to pick out most of the "new" added effect shots.

If they really wanted to improve the pace they could cut out some of the Vejur fly over shots

I believe they did, actually.

I was able to pick out most of the "new" added effect shots.

So was I, they are not seamless for anyone who has seen the film before.

They could have trimmed even more, but then we would lose the moments that made the film worth watching.

I guess I'm not that big of an audiophile because the new sound mix didn't knock me over.

I meant the Vejur fly over scenes.

Sadly they could have cut those scenes with Bones but then he would have hardly been in the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forgoet, titles are being announced tomorrow. :)

For anyone interested, The Karate Kid box set is down to less than 500 copies, Gloria less than 200, and Rookie of the Year less than 250.

Yes, but this CD Club release has been sold out for a while now, so it's a great chance for people who missed it when it was released to own a copy now.

Did I mention shipping is free for JWFAN.NET members?

Yes. That's enough spamming now.

Yes, but this CD Club release has been sold out for a while now, so it's a great chance for people who missed it when it was released to own a copy now.

Did I mention shipping is free for JWFAN.NET members?

Such a bargain!

Neil

Yes, but this CD Club release has been sold out for a while now

I already have that. Perhaps it's time to get rid of my spare Goldsmith DVD though...

You have an extra one? So does this guy.

Neil

I've been feeling bad about it ever since I bought that second Goldsmith DVD. And I've never done it since.

You know what would really get rid of that nasty feeling for good? Making a deal with a Goldsmith newbie for that DVD, thus helping him further understand and admire the Maestro after his death. That would be a good deed actually. Educational, too, you know. No need to feel guilty anymore.

It's just a suggestion, though. Off the top of my head. Just saying.

It's a pretty good DVD, although I wish they were working on different film during the recording sessions.