The first Soundtrack you ever bought

AI

In my case : James Horner - Willow. This about 1990. I bought the cassette, not having seen the movie,

only knowing the name of Horner from watching the film Cocoon on VHS, and being very impressed by the score.

I would listen to it over and over on my aiwa walkman. I was enthralled by it. At that time I didn't know anything

about film composers, (pre-internet) so I figured James Horner was kind of an old grey-haired man who wrote this

amazing orchestra music.

The only film music I knew before that was Vangelis' Chariots of Fire, the theme. I knew it as a piece of music,

but didnt associate it with the film or score.

So that was my introduction to film scores, how about yours?

I could make this story a lot more robust, epic and fleshed-out, but O shant, i'll leave room for other inspiring stories..

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I remember the firs three were Mark Snow's "The Truth and the light" from "The X-Files", John Williams' "Empire Strikes Back" and David Arnold's "Tomorrow Never Dies". Each on the cassette :)

The 1st score i owned was taped copies of Jurassic park and Star Wars (just this movie, the anthology version) that a friend of my sister did.

Now the 1st soundtrack i bought were the three SW SEs on the same day. Great one i must say.

I'm ashamed to say--"The Bodyguard." I loved that Whitney Houston song! :)

First John Williams soundtrack? "Schindler's List" . . . soon after Bodyguard.

First thing I owned was "By Request...The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra." First thing I bought was Jurassic Park, on cassette. Oh what a glorious day that was.

First John Williams soundtrack? "Schindler's List" . . . not soon after Bodyguard.

I guess you must be very ashamed indeed.

First John Williams soundtrack? "Schindler's List" . . . not soon after Bodyguard.

I guess you must be very ashamed indeed.

Why? I think Schindler's List was one of JW's best efforts! :lol::lol::lol:

The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, but before that, I listened to a cassette my cousin had recorded of some highlights from the Menace OST (too bad the end credits were unexpectedly interrupted by my aunt's folk songs).

John Williams Greatest Hits: 1969-1999 (2-disc set). :huh: Sometimes I wish I could experience it for the first time again and again.

Ray Barnsbury

My first two CDs were By Request... The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops and The Idiot's Guide to Classical Music :lol: . My first actual soundtrack (maybe my third CD?) was Jurassic Park.

John Williams Greatest Hits: 1969-1999 (2-disc set). Sometimes I wish I could experience it for the first time again and again.

I just bought that the other day. It was... interesting... :huh:

fsb

John Williams Greatest Hits: 1969-1999 (2-disc set). :huh: Sometimes I wish I could experience it for the first time again and again.

Ray Barnsbury

I know what you mean. It was the third or fourth one I bought, but it was definitly this set that started it all for me. It was mind blowing.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Batman Returns - I remember buying these two soundtracks on cassette when I was 12 years old, followed by Jurassic Park on CD a year later.

Funnily enough, I used to listen only to cheesy pop music (and begrudgingly at the time the music that my dad liked ---> Pink Floyd, Zepplin, etc) - but once I bought these soundtracks, one could say my taste in music changed entirely. From these, I started liking other soundtracks and it also opened up my world to Classical Music, which I consider my "favorite" type of music today.

Indeed, glorious was the day that I discovered John Williams composed most of the scores that I had ever liked.

firstbill.jpg

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

That was my third CD (the second was a Wagner compilation on Naxos - really bad recordings are I know today). The fourth was probably JP.

How did you manage to keep the reciept so legible? The one I have for the Rock is almost completely faded.

James Horner's Titanic and John Williams' Jurassic Park in the summer of 2001.

I'd had copies of Titanic and Back to Titanic on casette for a while, having borrowed them from the library and transferred to casette at home. I'd been looking for Jurassic Park for a while and was very happy to finally find it while on vacation in Luxembourg. I decided to replace my casette of Titanic with an actual CD as well, which I had been wanting to do for a while. I chose that over The Lost World: Jurassic Park, which later turned out to be a lot harder to find again than I had expected (I finally found it about 15 months later at Virgin in Paris.

It's quite interesting to see how prominent Jurassic Park figures into this discussion.

It would seem that JP was the springboard for many of us diving seriously into the works of JW.

Ok here is the story again.

In the early nineties I had already developped an interest in film music, though It had at that time not dawned on me that such a thing could be bought on CD.

I recorded it from films by holding a microphone against the TV speaker.

The first soundtrack CD I bought was a compilation of all the James Bond songs. Some time later a classmate gave me to cassete tapes, one containing the score of the Dutch film Flodder in Amerika. (which i rather liked back then, but now sounds horribly simplistic and pedantic). The other contained the John Barry score for Moonraker, which blew me away then, and still does till this very day.

The first John Williams score I got was Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, which I rented from the library and copied. The first actual Cd of Film music I got was Jurassic Park, though I did not buy it, I got it as a Xmas present.

And yes Jurassic Park is indeed a landmark score that got a lot of people from my generation hooked on either film music, or John Williams. (insert snide comments from Alex or Neil.)

Because I like it that I could, in many cases, figure out when I bought a CD.

How did you manage to keep the reciept so legible? The one I have for the Rock is almost completely faded.

I have my share of faded receipts. EMI must simply have used a good printer back then. :huh:

The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, but before that, I listened to a cassette my cousin had recorded of some highlights from the Menace OST (too bad the end credits were unexpectedly interrupted by my aunt's folk songs).

:huh:

And I thought the songs on the GoF OST were bad...

For me the first one ever was a cassette tape copy of Star Trek II, but the one that started me on the true path to film score fandom was the ANH SE.

I know I had cassettes for Beauty and the Beast and The Muppet Movie early on, but the first CD I actually remember purchasing was Aladdin. And of course, it is still one of my favorites to this day.

I know I had cassettes for Beauty and the Beast and The Muppet Movie early on, but the first CD I actually remember purchasing was Aladdin. And of course, it is still one of my favorites to this day.

Nice. Aladdin would have been my first soundtrack, had I actually bought it.

January 95 - First film score owned: Ben-Hur Suite on bootlegged tape from our local youth orchestra concert - the landmark event that got me hooked instantly to film music, and to wanting to play in that orchestra (or, wanting to start learning an instrument to someday be able to play in the orchestra ;)).

Spring 95 - Copied Star Wars Suites on tape from a friend at school

Summer 95 - Bought Jurassic Park (what else ;)) CD when seeing it in a shop without having seen the film (only read the book), based on the name "John Williams" on the cover, which I then only knew from my Star Wars cassette.

The rest is history ;)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I was already fallen in love with Star Wars but I didn't have a copy.

Fortunately the local library had it and I visited there(they didn't lend it) often. I was eleven.

CE3K is still my dearest soundtrack , so I had a good start...

My first soundtrack LP: Born on the Fourth of July

My first CD: The Empire Strikes Back (Polydor)

Jurassic Park... which ironically enough also sparked an interest in Dinosaurs which led to my love for science and entrance into the field of Genetics.

Same here - I couldn't have been the only kid who wanted to be a Paleontologist after seeing the movie and then reading the book. I remember obsessing over everything that had to do with dinosaurs and genetics that summer, devouring all books on the subjects at my local library (I got 3 badges for book loans that summer!)