The first Soundtrack you ever bought

AI

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first soundtrack I aquired was Jurassic Park--my cousin gave me his copy. But the first I bought..man, that's a bit fuzzy. I want to say it was in the area of 2001-2002. It was The Rocketeer. I remember loving the movie, and I would go to Amazon to listen to the sound clip for "The Zeppelin" over and over. After that I believe my next purchases were the Raiders '96 expanded and Hook.

Jurassic Park... which ironically enough also sparked an interest in Dinosaurs which led to my love for science and entrance into the field of Genetics.

Same here - I couldn't have been the only kid who wanted to be a Paleontologist after seeing the movie and then reading the book. I remember obsessing over everything that had to do with dinosaurs and genetics that summer, devouring all books on the subjects at my local library (I got 3 badges for book loans that summer!)

same here :angry: but not being a pantologist is a little thorn in my side :P

Man those JP toys were cool.

My First Soundtrack was

John Williams - The Star Wars Trilogy by Varujan Jojian - The Utah Symphony Orchestra

Its still my favourite CD to date, nothing has topped it so far! :angry:

The first soundtrack I ever owned was Close Encounters of the Third kind on (and this will date me) cassette. It's hard now to imagine the impact that film had on my generation (I was about 14 when it came out). It was my brother's birthday and we all came up to London to see it at the Odeon in Leicester Square. The feeling of suspense was tangible - everyone was waiting to see the alien... We must have been pretty gullible in the late 70s because I remember the cinema didn't explode into laughter at the appearance of that silly grinning puppet (and why do aliens never wear clothes?). But the most abiding impression I took away from the film was of the music. So I asked for it for Christmas. And I have loved the score ever since. Strange how sweet and nostalgiac memories of childhood can be summoned up by atonal music in the manner of Ligeti...

The second soundtrack I ever owned - which I bought because it was by the same composer as CE3K - was The Fury. On an LP. But that's another story...

Actually, I'm serious. Why DO aliens never wear clothes?

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade OST. After this I played Rebel Assault I and there was this amazing piece in the cut sequence called the force theme. Bought the SW SE A New Hope which missed this rendition of the theme and realized it's the same composer. Thus bought all the rest of the SE's.

Hell, this were just freaking good times. Ran into every CD store and always coming back with at least one Williams score. Hard time for my wallet but who cared :angry:

I'm trying to think of the first one I personally bought. It may have been RotK. That said, there were always numerous soundtracks populating my house throughout my childhood. I was really fond of this one Star Trek compilation... I wonder whatever happened to it.

My first was the cassette of Superman: The Movie (still my favorite score of all time), followed by the cassettes for Hook, Jurassic Park, and Batman Returns probably around '93 or '94. After that the first score CD I bought was Aliens (at that point I was obsessed with the film and the cue "Bishop's Countdown").

After that I got Waterworld and ESB for Christmas and have been hooked entirely on scores ever since.

The Flash Gordon LP.

:eek: No john Williams ?!

Wow that's worse than having a Zimmer one as 1st score :P

:shakehead:

First, Zimmer is never an offensive shopping choice. But even if he were, Manuel, Queen is definetly not worse than him.

-Ross, who bought that album two years ago. I wonder if that's not more offensive accordingn to some people's standards. Flash... Aaaah-aaaaaaaah...

The Flash Gordon LP.

:eek: No john Williams ?!

Wow that's worse than having a Zimmer one as 1st score :P

:shakehead:

First, Zimmer is never an offensive shopping choice. But even if he were, Manuel, Queen is definetly not worse than him.

-Ross, who bought that album two years ago. I wonder if that's not more offensive accordingn to some people's standards. Flash... Aaaah-aaaaaaaah...

My point was, (a joke) that in Miguel's case, being the best (both in quality and quantity) John Williams fan, his 1st score not being JW was like a 'sacrilege'

I didnt even knew Queen made the flash gordon score. So it was not my intention to compare them with zimmer.

My First soundtrack was Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone.

Me too. I thank god my dad bought that for me. I only wanted it because it was Harry Potter and I was the biggest Harry Potter nerd in my whole city. I saw it on amazon and i HAD to have it. My dad bought it for me and how a nine year old got hooked on John Williams that way is beyond me.

My point was, (a joke) that in Miguel's case, being the best (both in quality and quantity) John Williams fan, his 1st score not being JW was like a 'sacrilege'

I didnt even knew Queen made the flash gordon score. So it was not my intention to compare them with zimmer.

Then I owe you an apology for the sudden accusatory tone. Even if the joke was a bit difficult to grasp.

Getting hooked on JW by HPPS is reasonneable

Indeed. In fact as that generation gets older I suspect we'll start hearing many similar stories. At least I hope so.

I can't quite remember which was my actual first.

For years, though, the only ones I had were A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back SEs on cassette, Shadows of the Empire on cassette, and ID4 on Cassette.

To this day among my favorites. Then when Episode I came out, I started truly getting into scores and now my collection has exploded exponentially.

So the three big hooks so far are Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Philosopher's Stone, right?

I think also, to a lesser extent, CE3K and the Star Wars prequels.

- Marc, who almost bought the TPM OST back in 1999.

So the three big hooks so far are Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Philosopher's Stone, right?

I think also, to a lesser extent, CE3K and the Star Wars prequels.

And of course Jaws for the really old folks.

I don't have a beer belly, that was the result of a bucket of rice cracker, potatoes with carlic sauce, vegetables, some chicken stuffed with ham and ragout and one and a half liter of light alcoholic beverage.

I just had a crap and it's fine now.

Rice crackers, potatoes with garlic sauce, vegetables, and chicken stuffed with ham and ragout, all in a bucket. You Dutchmen sure know your gourmet.

Do you make all this yourself?

Morlock- inexperienced at roasting pork, but knows that it's not something he'd be up to on a sunday morning

Huh, I thought you were a jew?

No, I buy it from the butcher here downstairs, it's sliced, so it can go on my bread without having to butcher a hug, season the meat and roast it, just so I can have breakfast.

The tea I did make myself though, by dipping a bag of tealeaves into boiling water.

Huh, I thought you were a jew?

Yes.....and I said I was inexperienced at roasting pork. I don't know how the Jews in The Hoorn work, but, over here, roasting pork is not something widespread among the Anglo-Saxon crowd. Very popular in the Russian crowd, though. They know more about pork than they do about water, or even Vodka.

I don't know how the Jews in The Hoorn work, but, over here, roasting pork is not something widespread among the Anglo-Saxon crowd.

I don't think there are any jews in Hoorn, or they are still in hiding.

As for roasting pork, you simply go to a butcher or a supermarket here. I live in an advanced and civilised country that doesn't spend all of it's resources keeping the desert sand at bay....

I don't think there are any jews in Hoorn, or they are still in hiding.

Come, now, was that really necassery?

So what are you saying? When you get divorced you turn in your library card? You get a new license? You stop being Jewish? Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax...