The Official Alan Menken Thread

Henry B

15 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Menken's own recent work was not on the same level as his Disney Renaissance work.

True, I wonder if Howard Ashman were still around if Menkens recent work would be up to that level.

5 hours ago, 4te said:

Thanks for this comprehensive list, Groovygoth666! I really enjoyed watching the workprint as well and figuring out what all the temp tracks were. Here are a few that I caught to help fill in your list :)

Intro Aladdin (before One Jump Ahead): William Tell Overture from Caveman by Lalo Schifrin

Abu and the Needy Children: David Newman – Larry Looks For Ellen (from Mr. Destiny)

Jasmine in the Menagerie: Sad Goodbyes from Cocoon (James Horner)

Jafar Hypnotizes the Sultan: T'pring by Gerald Fried

Jasmine in the Menagerie: Farenheit 451 – Finale

Marketplace: Bagdad from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad by Bernard Hermann

Jasmine Gets in Trouble in the Market: Scherhezade Suite: The Kalendar Prince (Rimsky-Korsakov)

Jasmine’s Sorrow: First Tears from Cocoon (James Horner)

Aladdin Imprisoned: The Miracle of the Ark by John Williams (Indiana Jones ROLK)

Aladdin Meets a Fellow Prisoner: Finale and End Credits from Indiana Jones LC by John Williams

Jafar in Disguise in the Prison: Mysterious Island – Prelude by Bernard Hermann

Aladdin Enters the Cave: Night Magic by Bernard Hermann

Cave of Wonders (Discovering the Lamp): Mountain Top from Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Bernard Hermann

Aladdin Apprehended by Jafar's Guards: Atlantis the Lost Continent (Overture) by Russell Garcia

Princess Jasmine In Love: T'pring by Gerald Fried

Genie's New Master / Jafar Takes Over: Larry Meets Jerry by David Newman (from Mr. Destiny)

Aladdin and Abu: Canyon of Mazes by James Horner (from Willow)

Jasmine Tricks Jafar: Transformation by Bernard Hermann (Seventh Voyage of Sinbad)

The Battle: Futile Escape by James Horner (Aliens)

Victory: Theme Medley from Memoirs of an Invisible Man by Shirley Walker

Aladdin Frees the Genie: Cocoon (The Ascension) by James Horner

Yeah it's interesting to see a lot of the animation in a very basic way, do you know if you watched the first or second workprint? I only watched the second one which wasn't that different to the final release but was curious if the other one had anything that was different? Awesome, thanks, that clears some more up. 

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

True, I wonder if Howard Ashman were still around if Menkens recent work would be up to that level.

Yeah it's interesting to see a lot of the animation in a very basic way, do you know if you watched the first or second workprint? I only watched the second one which wasn't that different to the final release but was curious if the other one had anything that was different? Awesome, thanks, that clears some more up. 

To my knowledge, the various workprints are all based on the same source VHS and they're just different file types with varying amounts of blank space after. No differences to report as far as I know. 

I'd be really curious to see a full length workprint of The Little Mermaid and find out which temp tracks inspired its score as well!

3 hours ago, 4te said:

To my knowledge, the various workprints are all based on the same source VHS and they're just different file types with varying amounts of blank space after. No differences to report as far as I know. 

I'd be really curious to see a full length workprint of The Little Mermaid and find out which temp tracks inspired its score as well!

Oh right, just heard there are two and assumed one was different, oh well.

I know there are bits and pieces of The Little Mermaid workprint out there, the temp tracks for Aladdin were mostly adventure music which makes sense, but for Mermaid I'm really not sure what they would have used. Hunchback would also be interesting to watch.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I would be much more interested in more instrumental film scores from Menken than in another musical.

I thought the scores to the remakes of Beauty And The Beast & Aladdin really showed how much Menken's orchestral chops have grown.

I would love for him to a full length feutre again. I believe the last one was Mirror Mirror

26 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I thought the scores to the remakes of Beauty And The Beast & Aladdin really showed how much Menken's orchestral chops have grown.

I would love for him to a full length feutre again. I believe the last one was Mirror Mirror

I agree. I didn’t massively enjoy the films and didn’t like some of the changes to the songs (making BatB more epic in particular seemed at odds with the gorgeously understated original) but the underscoring for both was superb. 

Following the discussion on civil war scores in another thread, giving his Lincoln score a listen. Lovely stuff even if the main theme sounds a bit like the carriage ride music from The Little Mermaid. For those who feel JW’s Lincoln score was a bit too understated, a fine alternative!

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Following the discussion on civil war scores in another thread, giving his Lincoln score a listen. Lovely stuff even if the main theme sounds a bit like the carriage ride music from The Little Mermaid. For those who feel JW’s Lincoln score was a bit too understated, a fine alternative!

I'll have to give his Lincoln score a listen! It's one that goes under the radar compared to his other works.

If anyone is looking for a deep dive analysis into Menken's score for The Little Mermaid, I highly recommend this podcast episode from Art of the Score. They do a fantastic job of playing out examples of the various themes and motifs of the score, and shed light on the musical influences and styles involved:

http://www.artofthescore.com.au/podcast/2019/12/24/episode-30-the-little-mermaid

Hi guys, I have an extra ticket for the Hollywood in Vienna Gala Concert with Alan Menken on Sep. 24 and was wondering if anyone was interested. It's a pretty nice ticket which includes: 

- Invitation to the Hollywood in Vienna After Concert Cocktail with performers and stars of the gala

- Free entry to the Hollywood in Vienna Film Music Symposium with reserved seats (registration required!)

- Exclusive visit to a Hollywood in Vienna rehearsal (registration required!)

- Exclusive introductory lecture with background information before concert

- Welcoming drink provided by charming hostesses 

- Free and exclusive cloak check for Premium-Guests

- Programme booklet (signed by the composer if possible)

- State of the art designed concert badge

- Merchandising and poster

- If desired, your name will also be listed in the programme booklet as sponsor of the Max Steiner Film Music Achievement Award

I wanted to know if one of you guys was thinking of going since the event is completely sold out before selling it elsewhere. I payed it 300 euros so that would be the price. Let me know if you're interested. 

Any fans of King David? For anyone who hasn’t heard it, it’s kind of a biblical oratorio done in the style of a Broadway show. I guess think Prince of Egypt done by Alan Menken. I’ve always loved it, mixing some beautiful intimate songs (Warm Spring Night, Absolom my Absolom, Sheer Perfection) and extended larger scale numbers (Hunted Partridge on a Hill and The Caravan Moves On) although the catchiest is probably (despite the improbable title) Saul Has Slain His Thousands. It’s a live recording but the performance and sound are pretty decent. Well worth checking out if you’re a fan. 

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Last cue from Pocahontas, a true wonder for the ears !

Fantastic, Marc! Your covers are always so well done and very accurate. This is a really spectacular choice from Menken's repertoire (Y)

I listened yesterday again to Pocahontas and this score gives me nothing. Unfortunetly. It has some really nice song material. But the instrumental score is for me nothing enjoyable on its own. Complete opposite to Beauty and the Beast.

This is not for me.

4 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

Omni Music teased on their Facebook that the score for Tangled is next up for them.

I don't remember anything about that score. Is it that good?

On the same level as Beauty and the Beast or The Hunchback of Notre Dame?

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

I think it's a bit below that. It's still marvelous, and the action music and some of the more dramatic stuff is brilliant. I really like it a lot.

Flynn Wanted, Horse With No Rider, Kingdom Dance, Waiting For The Lights, Realization And Escape, The Tear Heals & Kingdom Celebration are for me some of the best things he wrote. I really love it!

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It's the only Menken Disney musical where I thought the score is interesting on its own rather than just as a (mostly redundant) accompaniment to the songs.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Marc said:

And with these I conclude Alan's Disney Golden Era :D

What about the non golden era ? lol... Home on the range (ahhh, Cows !!! ;) ) , and Tangled ? and the worst of them all...  the film version of beauty and the beast and Aladdin 🙈(ears (eyes too lol) starting to bleed again..)

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone mentioned this already and I missed it.

But Alan Menken is scoring an animated called Spellbound. That means 2 Menken scores in one year. Great stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellbound_(2022_film)

• 4 months later...

I truly hope a score release for Menken's Disenchanted is coming. There is some terrific music in the film.

All the song melodies are used in the score in fun and interesting ways.

The end of the film has some of the most exciting orchestral and choral action music of Menken's career.

It would be a shame if all we got was that suite on the soundtrack album.

I liked the songs. They're not the best in his career but all the melodies are truly wonderful.

The Love Power ballad is good. The orchestrations are beautiful and Menzel has a very powerful vocal.

Badder is a lot of fun and does have some cleber rhyming and lyrics.

The other songs are maybe a bit basic but I enjoyed them for what they were.

Please give me more score!!!!

• 3 months later...

The Little Mermaid has an fancy page for its OST album

https://presave.umusic.com/thelittlemermaidsoundtrack

There will be a physical CD edition available at Target stores in the US, dunno about other countries

https://www.target.com/p/various-artists-the-little-mermaid-live-action/-/A-88823940

• 3 weeks later...

In the comments section of the Disenchanted score suite on Disney Records' official YouTube channel, soneone posted this track list:

Disenchanted (Original Score)

Music By: Alan Menken

Tracklist: 32

Length: 1 Hour and 23 Minutes

1. Moving Out

2. MonroeVille

3. Part of the Adventure

4. Nancy and Edward Arrives

5. Your Happily Ever After

6. Morgan's First Day

7. Giselle goes Shopping

8. Don't Talk To Your Mother Like That/She's My Stepmother 
9. Monrolasian Queen
10. Gown Shopping 
12. Stepmother!
13. The Rules
14. Dragon Attack
15. Ambition/Save Us
16. The Giant Attack
17. Is This Andalasia
18. How Do I Look
19. Where's Morgan
20. The Tree of Memories
21. Town's Ball
22. Villain vs Villain/Getting The Wand

23. It's Time To Be Heroes 
24. Turned Into Frogs
25. Useless Garbage/Restored
26. Morgan Captured
27. Stopping the Clock
28. I Wish To Be Home
29. Strangest Dream
30. Forgiving Malvina
31. Happy Ending
32. Disenchanted Score Suite

Could this be genuine? Maybe a planned official release or an FYC?

19 minutes ago, DemonStar said:

In the comments section of the Disenchanted score suite on Disney Records' official YouTube channel, soneone posted this track list:

Disenchanted (Original Score)

Music By: Alan Menken

Tracklist: 32

Length: 1 Hour and 23 Minutes

1. Moving Out

2. MonroeVille

3. Part of the Adventure

4. Nancy and Edward Arrives

5. Your Happily Ever After

6. Morgan's First Day

7. Giselle goes Shopping

8. Don't Talk To Your Mother Like That/She's My Stepmother 
9. Monrolasian Queen
10. Gown Shopping 
12. Stepmother!
13. The Rules
14. Dragon Attack
15. Ambition/Save Us
16. The Giant Attack
17. Is This Andalasia
18. How Do I Look
19. Where's Morgan
20. The Tree of Memories
21. Town's Ball
22. Villain vs Villain/Getting The Wand

23. It's Time To Be Heroes 
24. Turned Into Frogs
25. Useless Garbage/Restored
26. Morgan Captured
27. Stopping the Clock
28. I Wish To Be Home
29. Strangest Dream
30. Forgiving Malvina
31. Happy Ending
32. Disenchanted Score Suite

Could this be genuine? Maybe a planned official release or an FYC?

If this is real. I'll be very happy. I was hoping for a score release

• 1 month later...

Isn't this Little Mermaid remake significantly longer than the original film? It's too bad there's not more score tracks on the album. But maybe I'm just spoiled after the OSTs for the Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin remakes.

3 hours ago, Romão said:

I was always particularly fond of this little tune from the soundtrack of the original movie:

Nice choice! This was inspired by Edvard Grieg's "Wedding day at Troldhaugen". You can really hear the influence when you listen to the Jig piano score demo tape from the Legacy Collection soundtrack for TLM!

6 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Isn't this Little Mermaid remake significantly longer than the original film? It's too bad there's not more score tracks on the album. But maybe I'm just spoiled after the OSTs for the Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin remakes.

If the Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast remakes (plus most recent Disney animated musicals) are anything to do by, I expect there will be a second album with most, if not all, of the score on it. I expect they don't mention it to avoid confusing morons.

3 hours ago, 4te said:

Nice choice! This was inspired by Edvard Grieg's "Wedding day at Troldhaugen". You can really hear the influence when you listen to the Jig piano score demo tape from the Legacy Collection soundtrack for TLM!

Good spot! All the best stuff is inspired by the classics!

1 minute ago, DemonStar said:

Apparently a deluxe edition is scheduled to be released in June - https://vgmdb.net/album/129448

Hopefully it will have additional score tracks and not just more pop songs.

I expect it will include the score - I can't think of a recent Disney film with a deluxe edition soundtrack where the extra music was more pop songs (this isn't Prince of Egypt and it's two "inspired by" albums).

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Still salty that they didn’t release a score album for Enchanted 2.

Oh yes, good spot... forgot about that one. Then again, I forgot all the songs. And the film. Other than that, I thought it was quite good (but I do remember the score being decent... they didn't do a score album for Enchanted 1 either, also annoying).

6 hours ago, 4te said:

Ah that's great, I've always loved the Grieg piece, and had never made the connection before. Sounds pretty obvious now 🙂 thank you for this 

Here’s another listing for the Deluxe Edition, and it’s not looking good:

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=UWCD-1117

The Little Mermaid original soundtrack features all-new performances by the cast with music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Howard Ashman, and new lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The film stars Halle Bailey (Ariel), Jonah Hauer-King (Prince Eric), Daveed Diggs (the voice of Sebastian), Awkwafina (the voice of Scuttle), Jacob Tremblay (the voice of Flounder), Noma Dumezweni (Queen Selina), Art Malik (Sir Grimsby), Javier Bardem (King Triton), and Melissa McCarthy (Ursula).
This Deluxe Edition contains both Japanese edition and English edition.

Note that the previously posted listing also referred to a Japanese release. Seems like we might actually not be getting anything more than the 40 minutes that have already been released...

4 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Here’s another listing for the Deluxe Edition, and it’s not looking good:

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=UWCD-1117

Note that the previously posted listing also referred to a Japanese release. Seems like we might actually not be getting anything more than the 40 minutes that have already been released...

That would be pretty dire... fingers crossed it's just wrong.

Maybe one CD will have both English+Japanese songs and the other CD will be a proper score album? We'll have to wait and see.

Dunno why Disney is not properly releasing Mr. Menken's scores now. :(

Yeah, it's weird. 

Beauty And The Beast had a terrific release. But the releases after that got worse. More focused on the songs than score. Aladdin had less score. Lion King as well. Disenchanted had just a suite. I rtuly hope there's more score coming.

Menken keeps talking about in i terviews that this has always been his favorite. So why not give it proper releases. Especially these days with digital releases