What will John T Williams do for IJ 4?

AI

What will the cat do?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. will he..

• Go back to the old John Towner, like the nineties never happened
    • Be the new, stripped down, minimalistic John Towner

What will it be? Can we expect the same from John T Williams as we have in the past?

The cat's getting old.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please refer to him as Johnny T, John Towner, or John T Williams from now on?

I'm thinking Prisoner of Azkaban. A real mix of everything he's done from 80's through to 2000 and beyond. I'm expecting nothing short of a masterful score, given the ample time he's had to think of ideas for the film, and the time he'll have to write the score once they have a cut.

No Munich situations here.

I highly doubt it will be closer to Geisha or Munich than the previous IJ scores. I expect a modern Williams score, yes, but one that harkens back to his adventure-style of scoring.

Ray Barnsbury

last crusade was very 90's, i think.

If IV is like it, i'm more than pleased.

Which touches on something I've always thought about JW's scores. I've always thought Last Crusade and Hook mark a distinct change in Williams writings. Sort of mile markers in his career.

Am I right, isn't Last Crusade the last score JW did with Herb Spencer as his orchestrator?

Can you please refer to him as Johnny T, John Towner, or John T Williams from now on?

Ok, but then you have to refer to Stefan as Stefan the Cosman the First, Lord of the High Seas, Son of the 5th House and Keep of the Sacred Chalice of Reeks. :)

May I ask why?

I voted for "old Williams" even though I know it will likely be a bit of both. I expect this to be closer to The Last Crusade than Temple of Doom, which for all intensive purposes, is a good thing.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Speaking of something you can buy, perhaps you would be interested in this Internet auction I just found online. It's a bit more then a dollar, but very worth it, I think.

On a sidenote, any word on whether the LSO will be recording IV?

Don't hold your breath for it, this film is not being shot in England I think, and there's no tradition of recording with the LSI the way there was for the SW films.

I really don't know what "Johnny T" will do for this score, so I won't vote but honestly, I'd rather hear one of his old-style scores. I don't believe it's beyond his capacity...it sounds to me like he just got tired of writing the stuff he used to. Don't get me wrong...I like plenty of his new stuff a lot. "A lot" here having the meaning of "it's some of my favorite music." But if I had things my way, the score to IJ IV would be a close cousin of ROTLA. I like that score infinitely better than its two cousins--though they've both got astonishingly good moments--and it'd be nice to hear the music of Indiana Jones return to its roots. Without becoming a rehash, that is.

Realistically, the experience will probably be quite a bit like listening to the prequel scores. Lots of references to the past scores--subtly and intelligently done, I hope--with plenty of new material that doesn't feel quite the same, but is still great fun. Fingers crossed.

Realistically, the experience will probably be quite a bit like listening to the prequel scores. Lots of references to the past scores--subtly and intelligently done, I hope--with plenty of new material that doesn't feel quite the same, but is still great fun. Fingers crossed.

INdy movies do not call for that much thematic connection anyway.

Just a hint when marion appears, and things like that...

Good point, Luke. See, the thing is, I keep making the subconscious and thoroughly illogical assumption that the Ark will be featured in this film, which would make no sense whatsoever. But my brain keeps yearning for new developments of the Ark theme, though I'm sure there'll be none of that.

Really, it's the style of ROTLA's score that I'd love to hear reprised. It's swashbuckling and a little strange...but perfect.

Another interesting thought would be - and I'm really hoping for this - if they re-release the first three soundtracks, especially TOD since the bootleg I have of it sucks.

Personally... I don't know what to think.

We forget that Munich was really the last score he composed... He hasn't composed for film for over a year.

What I'm trying to say is, if you look at Williams scores, you can see where new ideas begin and hear the evolution of his sound... Personally, I expect him to completely reinvent himself with this. A new 21 century score...

War of the Worlds was certainly masterful... as was Memoirs... AI... Episode III definately had a lot of work and is another great 21cent. score...

As far as where the sound will go, I really expect it to reinvent both his sound and the sound if IJ4, while still incorporating the motifs from the originals... I mean, it wouldn't be IJ without Raiders March... heh

and not being minimalist... so I'm not gonna vote for either of those because neither fully compels me as an accurate answer...

I really think John Williams will surprise us all... hasn't failed yet :-p

Good point, Luke. See, the thing is, I keep making the subconscious and thoroughly illogical assumption that the Ark will be featured in this film, which would make no sense whatsoever. But my brain keeps yearning for new developments of the Ark theme, though I'm sure there'll be none of that.

Well Area 51 is said to make an appearance...

Maybe indy is looking for something and founds tha ark and says 'so it was here'... with a nice statement of the ark theme

The Ark joke worked for The Last Crusade, but it would just be out of place in this.

Yeah, it'd feel very been-there-done-that. Keep in mind, guys, I wasn't trying to say that I think the Ark theme should be used in the film or that it will be used in the film...only that it's a great theme that a part of me will always want more of.

Just a hint when marion appears, and things like that...

Eh.

I'd rather listen to Williams having fun with the new movie and his 17 years of experience since Last Crusade than being a slave of his own, past creations just because.

I mean, it's just a logical position.

Weren't the Temple of Doom masters lost?

That's a very evil rumor that's been floating around for years, along with one that they've literally rotted to the point they're ruined. Neither has ever been confirmed, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.