The John Towner Williams you like best?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. I like..

• The late 70's
    • The 80's
    • The 90's
    • The new millenium shit
    • I like em' all equally

Going epic, going big. Could it be any more sprawling?

There's even an I like them all option, so don't say I don't incorporate!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot the 60s shit.

I dig the new millennium shit and the 80s shit equally shit. But I chose the millennium shit because shit the 80s shit will draw enough votes shit already.

The late 70's and early 80's rule, shit or no shit. :)

(BTW, I'm brand new here, so hello to all and greetings from Slovenia, in case anybody knows where this is. ;):D)

The late 70's and early 80's rule, shit or no shit. :)

(BTW, I'm brand new here, so hello to all and greetings from Slovenia, in case anybody knows where this is. ;):D )

I know Slovenia like the back of my hand.

Now when you vote for millennium, you ain't voting for 'shit' K? you R voting for tha shit. The pristine.

I think they were probably his most enjoyable....but not his most interesting or varied. Like I said, each era has it's pluses. The pure balls out energy of most of the 80's stuff is tremendous.

I chose the easy (cop out) answer "all of them".

I think Williams best period was from 1975 to 1993.

The one playing the guitar.

Anyway, seriously... The late 70's have Star Wars, CE3K and The Fury. The 80s have ESB, ROTJ, E.T. and the Indy scores. The 90s have Hook, JP; Lost World, Rosewood and Amistad. Since then there have been the Potters, and before all that there were The Cowboys, Jaws and Jane Eyre... yup, they're all great.

This is yet another poll I won't vote for. They're all good in different ways. I own Williams soundtracks from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s that I wouldn't dream of parting with. I guess I'd probably vote for the 80s if I had to choose, but that wouldn't do justice to all his other incredible work.

Well my favorite periods are '75-'84 and '99-'06

Shouldn't the latter period stop in 2005, since there were no released works to count in 2006 and 2007? Besides the NFL theme, I mean.

EDIT: It's a match between the late 70's-early 80's and the 2000's for me.

I Had a hard time answering this so I simply said I liked all times...

I really love the 90's Williams up until present, but I also love some of the old old Williams like with Family Plot or ET or Checkmate... and I love the 70's Williams as well lol...

Although I also love ROTJ, which is 80's, another great era. They all are such great sounds... I couldn't decide which so I just like All John Williams sounds lol...

Well my favorite periods are '75-'84 and '99-'06

Shouldn't the latter period stop in 2005, since there were no released works to count in 2006 and 2007? Besides the NFL theme, I mean.

See, it's been so long since Williams' last score I'm getting the dates wrong! Fixed, thanks.

Williams did his best work in the years immediately following his wife's death.

Just speculating. Anyway, the late 70s were truly amazing. The early 80s also featured many classics, but Williams was already beginning to use simpler and more predictable chords and voicings (and how derivative the love themes all were - Han and Leia, Luke and Leia, Marion's Theme, all fairly close, but inferior to, Leia's Theme). Williams basically became more sentimental. This has worked wonders for a few scores, like Home Alone, Sleepers (the finale) and Harry Potter (first or third), but it tends to take his serious efforts down a notch (Schindler's List is overkill - there, I said it).

Han and Leia, Luke and Leia, Marion's Theme, all fairly close, but inferior to, Leia's Theme

Close, yes...very much so. That's always bothered me a bit. But inferior? Meh...I dunno. For me, Leia's Theme is great, but my first thought whenever I think of it is always that exotic-sounding flute solo in the middle of the concert version. Great writing, but totally unsuitable to Leia, IMO. But the plain old A section is great stuff. But...Han and Leia and Marion's Theme are really great for what they are. Luke and Leia is cool, but it's never hit as close to home for me.

- Datameister, who's realizing that most of his replies to Cerrabore's posts are generally of a bickering nature regarding things that weren't part of Cerrabore's main point :D

I wasn't very happy from 1994 to 1998

K.M.

1997 was quite terrific - complete Star Wars rereleases, "Seven Years in Tibet" (wondrefully beautiful), "The Lost World" (powerful and cool) and "Amistad" and "Rosewood" (both very emotional).

The one playing the guitar.

He's just John Williams (no Towner). ;):D

1997 was quite terrific - complete Star Wars rereleases, "Seven Years in Tibet" (wondrefully beautiful), "The Lost World" (powerful and cool) and "Amistad" and "Rosewood" (both very emotional).

Yes indeed.

I think it pretty much goes without saying that '75 through '85 is a monumental achievement in film scoring by one man. It's hard to believe one man could have made so many masterpieces for so many iconic films.

No one has mentioned the early 90s, though. Presumed Innocent, Hook, Home Alone, Far and Away, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List...

Tim

As a matter of fact I do. But I don't act like I sleep with him every night.

I guess if I want to be considered a fan, that's what I have to do eh?

That's his full name... And the name John is a very common one... as is Williams...

So two Common Names for an uncommon man :-p

but seriously, John Williams is a common name... But his full name, John Towner Williams... not so many of those ;-)

I guess it's a formality? Ask AI... he's the one who pushed for it lol

That's his full name... And the name John is a very common one... as is Williams...

but seriously, John Williams is a common name... But his full name, John Towner Williams... not so many of those ;-)

I guess it's a formality? Ask AI... she's the one who pushed for it lol

Do you think she screams Towner in extasy? :P

I guess it's a formality? Ask AI... she's the one who pushed for it lol

Sneaky . . .

Han and Leia, Luke and Leia, Marion's Theme, all fairly close, but inferior to, Leia's Theme

Close, yes...very much so. That's always bothered me a bit. But inferior? Meh...I dunno.

Williams has never again written anything like Leia's Theme. In a way, it's perhaps his best cue. It's certainly among his very best, in any case.

1975 to 1985.

That's the option I'd vote for, though I enjoy scores from all of his eras. But he seemed as if he couldn't miss even a single cue in that period. But I'll vote for the late 70s because technically he was doing ESB in 1979, so that's the tie-breaker with both Jaws, Star Wars, The Fury, Superman, and the other very-good-to-great in between. To refine it more, I'd vote 1977-1983; the OCT Star Wars scores and all of the scores between them.

I don't push for anything. The name amuses me that's all. I like to call him John Towner because it's cute. it makes me laugh. And I am sure John Williams would laugh about it also.

I don't push for anything. The name amuses me that's all. I like to call him John Towner because it's cute. it makes me laugh. And I am sure John Williams would laugh about it also.

uuuuuummmmmmmmm

Anyone else finding this alittle unhealthy? *insert Pyscho strings here*