Gattaca

BLUMENKOHL

Listened to this score after a long time today, and I have to say....while I detest most of Nyman's work....this is probably the best he has done.  It seems however most people have no love for it.  I for one love the dreary monotony of it, it's definitely one of those scores you have to watch the movie in order to truly appreciate.  It's been bashed as being emotionless, but I have to disagree.  Much like Goblet of Fire, I think people confuse icy and chilly and dreary with emotionless.

So am I the only one who really likes this score?  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only one who really likes this score?

Nope, love the score and movie.

But as you say, I think it works better if one has seen the film and thus can put the music into context that way. But my classical purist mates would argue that music shouldn't rely on images to convey a musical idea or point.

And that's why I summarily tell them to shut their pie-holes when talking about this very subject.

While Nyman is far from being my favourite I also like this score. It is much more approachable and enjoyable than most of his other works. I particularly like "Becoming Jerome/God's Hands" track.

This is the score that made me fall in love with Nyman's music. I love every aspect of it. Simple, pure, like the story of the movie.

Although I find "The Claim" a much better score, "Gattaca" is my 2nd favorite. And it's the one I'll bring to get signed next weekend, if I get the chance to see him after one of his concerts.

Emotionless? No way. Monotonous? Quite. It has a few nice cues, but other than that, I find it rather boring when detached from the (excellent) movie. I'm a big Nyman fan, but this is among my least played of his CDs.

I love the film, and I think the score is terrific. I haven't seen it being bashed as as emotionless, quite a ridicules assessment, it is a warm score.

Yes it is. It may not be the high point of intelligent sci fi movies, in that, really, it answers the questions it poses, and doesn't leave it open. But still, plenty of food for thought, and it is a wonderful humanist tale.

Oh yes! And it features a Jude Law when he was still interesting. Today he takes on way too many romantic - I'm a beautiful boy - parts.

Hey- Sleuth is coming to a theater near you soon! Caine and Law- can't wait!

Frankly, Law always had his 'charming' roles together with his 'real' roles. And I have a feeling that he was very good in Breaking and Entering, which I have yet to see (not that I'm a very big Minghella fan).

Hey- Sleuth is coming to a theater near you soon! Caine and Law- can't wait!

A remake? Funny! Caine playing the part of Laurence Olivier and Law the part of Caine! Anyways, these two might have some real good on-screen chemistry together.

51Q2MSFKPCL._AA240_.jpg

Oh, certainly not. I'm a Branagh fan, so the above was a "what" of joyful surprise. :blink: A Branagh movie with Caine and Law (and supposedly a Doyle score) should be a wonderful thing.

I haven't heard Doyle's name attached to it yet, though. Maybe Ken is doing it without music?

BTW, did anyone see his Mozart film?

I've never been a big fan of Die Zauberflöte to begin with, so I remain cautious. And translating an opera usually bothers me. It's the norm with Janacek performances 'round here, and it sounds very inappropriate.

• 1 month later...