Cloverfield

It's been a long time since I've been totally captivated by a trailer. But, in between all the crappy looking teen comedies and a Will Smith sci-fi outing with a horrible title (I Am Legend) that might be interesting, it happened. It's being brought to us by none other than JJ Abrams, and I won't say anymore because it'll take away from the experience, just follow the link.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long time since I've been totally captivated by a trailer. But, in between all the crappy looking teen comedies and a Will Smith sci-fi outing with a horrible title (I Am Legend) that might be interesting, it happened. It's being brought to us by none other than JJ Abrams, and I won't say anymore because it'll take away from the experience, just follow the link.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

man don't blame will for the title, its been that ever since Matheson wrote it.

and I wondered exactly what Vosk did.

It's a gimmick at this point, let's see if it'll be any good. It looks like it could be interesting. But, then again, JJ Abrams has a writing credit on Armageddon, and I hardly think that every he touches is gold.

But, then again, JJ Abrams has a writing credit on Armageddon,

Huh, I didn't know that. Still, it was a while ago and he has a good track record since.

Speaking of writers, my excitement jumped up again when I was able to pause the split-second glimpse of the credits at the end, and the writer is none other than Joss Whedon protege Drew Goddard.

John- who hopes it has nothing to do with Godzilla

I remember seeing it and thinking it might be a remake of the American Godzilla... I remember hearing rhumors about it.

Currently, the name of the film/project is from a video game about an alien that attacks the city and such... so again,it could be Godzilla... but I still am interested in seeing it... it would be kinda cool to have the pov of someone not involved at all.. (Like War of the Worlds) and just a normal person trying to stay alive...

Speaking of writers, my excitement jumped up again when I was able to pause the split-second glimpse of the credits at the end, and the writer is none other than Joss Whedon protege Drew Goddard.

Brilliant! The man has written for all four of my most favourite shows (Lost, Alias, Buffy, Angel).

I can't wait!

so far no one knows a lot beyond the casting and that it is produced by JJ... there are some cool theories going around it though... some even say it could be the teaser for voltron which is unlikely.

Anyways.. the strongest theory is that the movie will have H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu as the monster attacking NY

here's a link with some news supposedly related to the movie in case you haven't seen it yet

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2331

Followed the project a bit before the trailer but when I saw it, it definately got my attention

You all realize that I Am Legend is based on a book by the same name, right?

I'm excited for anything with Abrams' name on it, especially things with monsters. Apparantly, it's being called "Cloverfield" at this point.

Can you tell us anything you might know about it, ?-Man? I hadn't heard anything about it until the trailer, and I've spent a good chunk of tonight cruising around a few websites finding a whole lot of speculation and very little fact.

Yeah, it's a gimmick, but it does work rather well. I tried to watch it at the large size, but my stupid machine wouldn't let me, so I had to resort to the small version. It was still pretty impressive, though I'm not too fond of the jumpy bits as they run down from the roof. That particular effect just didn't do it for me. But otherwise, it felt pretty real. I'm curious to see what this leads to. Thanks for posting it, John.

dammit dammit.

I had always wanted to write a film about how people would REALISTICALLY react to a giant monster wreaking havok. This seems to be the tone and case of the film. I like the idea that it's being shot from the perspective of the characters. It lends a little more realism to it. Very very enticing.

Mark Olivarez, what do you think my daikaiju-pal of mine?

It does indeed look awesome.

~Sturgis, who was shocked and chilled when he saw that trailer in the theater

it's the most ominous traileer I've seen that depicts what and how people would react to something monstrous attacking a city. The trailer alone accomplishes more than all 2 hrs and 2 minutes of Devlin's turd Godzilla (1998). What I hope is that the filmmakers have come up with their own monster.

It does indeed look awesome.

~Sturgis, who was shocked and chilled when he saw that trailer in the theater

it's the most ominous traileer I've seen that depicts what and how people would react to something monstrous attacking a city. The trailer alone accomplishes more than all 2 hrs and 2 minutes of Devlin's turd Godzilla (1998). What I hope is that the filmmakers have come up with their own monster.

It looks very promising. I am a great fan of this HD video cinematography (known mostly from the last two Mann's movies), it creates an uncomparable atmosphere.

The FPP concept in not revoulutionary (vide "Blair Witch Project"), but definitelly worth further exploration. Having a monster movie depicted this way is definitely a refreshing idea. There is - however - still a glimpse of a chance they can screw something that promises to be that interesting. I am anxious to see WHAT is the monster this time, though.

I think the important thing is to have a monster of some sort. If they cop out and make it something like the black mist from LOST, it will undermine the coolness that the trailer successfully achieved in its tone. It was weird when I first saw this- late last night. And it actually freaked me out. I think the lead-up to the monster carnage was brilliant. It very well may be the only time I have seen a trailer go from one thing to another thing so well. And props to the initial poster on this forum for not giving it away. Half of the trailer's effectiveness is based on how the mood and perspective shifts gears from what looks to be another Gen-X "finding yourself" film to....well Godzilla or some kaiju film. Even if the film ends up sucking, no one can take away how totally cool this trailer is.

-Dave

I think that a lot of the hype about this film is really just hyping the hype. It is a terrific trailer. But I find it very hard to believe that the film will be anywhere near as good.

And, in my book, Abrams, Whedon, and their protege (obviously) are all hit and miss. I love the spirit of their work, but I do no think they have proven themselves to be solid film/TV makers at all.

I'd be ecstatic over a well done Lovecraft story, but I highly doubt it's that. Cthulu didn't come from space to wreak havoc like a giant monster movie. Whether this is a remake of Godzilla (which I would be happy with), or an all new monster movie, I'd be happy. No one has made a monster movie in...well....since the American Godzilla in '98. It's going to be refreshing, at least.

The footage in the trailer was specifically shot for the trailer, it won't be in the film and don't be surprised if the film is released without a title at all.

dammit dammit.

I had always wanted to write a film about how people would REALISTICALLY react to a giant monster wreaking havok. This seems to be the tone and case of the film. I like the idea that it's being shot from the perspective of the characters. It lends a little more realism to it. Very very enticing.

Mark Olivarez, what do you think my daikaiju-pal of mine?

It looks interesting but so did the teasers for D&E's film and we all know how that turned out.

And people it's not Godzilla.

Abrams talked to AICN

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

its not a JJ Abrams film, lets get that one thing right.

If you slow up the HD preview you can see a monster in the flames. It looks like a cross between a dragon and oh, what was that giant armedillo type kaiju that was in Destroy All Monsters?

Also, if this was shot specifically as a teaser, than we might not get this cool 1st person POV. Although that would be great.

Lots of cynics are already dismissing this because JJ Abrams involvement but personally the last 5 episodes of LOST season 3 were about as good as anything I've seen on the big screen over the past year.

Haven't we seen this before , all the clishes are there. Another movie I'm not gonna see.

Well thanks for sharing your incisive views on this...for the amount of time you typed that you won't be seeing this film you might as well not have posted at all. Sheesh. ;)

I must be the only one who absolutely hates the cinematography of the trailer. Annoying hand camera shakes and fuzzy images are hardly what I want to get from a big budget hollywood production.

I must be the only one who absolutely hates the cinematography of the trailer. Annoying hand camera shakes and fuzzy images are hardly what I want to get from a big budget hollywood production.

Hornist wrote:

Haven't we seen this before , all the clishes are there. Another movie I'm not gonna see

Actually, at first I hated it as well.

The first few moments of It I turned to the person next to me and said "I'm dizzy... make it stop" and that's when you hear the roar and the lights flickered... and then I coudln't look away...

Then as the camera clicked on and off as they went down the stairs I was like "STOP! STOP! I want to see! I want to see!"

In some ways it kinda reminds me of a cheaper BSG-esque style...but It was a bit hard to watch...

I guess it's like that Blair witch thing... I've never seen it but I hear it makes a lot of people sick...

Hell, the first few moments of Episode III made me sea sick from watching the fighters flying around...lol

For the first bit I thought it was just going to be another cheap slasher flick or something similar, with the whole video camera POV thing being a gimmick for the trailer. And then there was that roar...and the explosion...and Lady Liberty's head...yeah. ;)

I was describing this to a friend and made the mistake of comparing it to Blair Witch, that was the end of that. It's the only POV reference I could think of. I hope to God this turns out better.

Lots of cynics are already dismissing this because JJ Abrams involvement but personally the last 5 episodes of LOST season 3 were about as good as anything I've seen on the big screen over the past year.

How much did Abrams really have to do with season 3 (apart from directing A Tale of Two Cities)?

Isn't it pretty much Cuse and Lindelof's show now?

How much did Abrams really have to do with season 3 (apart from directing A Tale of Two Cities)?

Isn't it pretty much Cuse and Lindelof's show now?

Yes, that is true. But Abram's has come up with some neat concepts. And he's only producing this one so we'll see how it turns out. The Slusho.jp site is intriguing. The History page drops a lot of nods to Godzilla. Like the creator of slusho was called "Little Whale" whie Gojira's original name came to be from a composite of gorilla and whale in Japanese. Also, there;'s a reference to slusho being created at the bottom of the sea in deeo cold and under great pressure. It could be nothing but I think it's been confirmed that the Slusho.jp site is officially linked with Abrams' 1-18-08.

The only reason I would speculate that this is a Godzilla film is that the 1998 film sucked so badly that Toho may have secretly agreed to allow American filmmakers use the name only if they (Toho) have final say over a locked print- hence why there's so much veiled secrecy around the title.

That's my theory anyhow.

Apparantly, the monster is being called a parasite.

Many theories are going around. Some even think the monster is satan.

Who knows what this monster might be. For I know it could just be a completely new made up monster for this new J.J Abrams project...

Maybe it's George Lucas

oooOOOOOoooo! Diss! Burn!

jk...

just pointing out the speculative nature of guessing the monster in the movie... From what I can tell it's a Godzilla-esque film done in a really new and interesting way and I'm going to see it. I could care less if it's Ghandi running through New York ! lol

The Parasite rumors are false.

Dave I would really be shocked if Paramount secured the rights from Toho for Godzilla, there are alot of Japanese related items in the trailer but it would really be a major suprise.

The Parasite rumors are false.

Dave I would really be shocked if Paramount secured the rights from Toho for Godzilla, there are alot of Japanese related items in the trailer but it would really be a major suprise.

yeah I think that's Abrams and co. messing with our heads. It is really odd this marketing campaign though. ;)

OK...so the director is a guy named Matt Reeves, who apparently has plenty of TV shows under his directorial belt.

Including such astounding shows as Felicity...I knew there was a reason why I didn't like that Hipster "too-cool-for-school" NY vibe of the trailer (let's hope this is not the tone of the movie). Like others here, I could do with a good Big Monster pic - its been ages since we've had one.