Cloverfield

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in a way the trailer for this movie had this War of the Worlds feel to it i mean... Instead of having Aliens in Tripods...Its a monster instead the way I see when I first saw the trailer. But I guess it could be totally different when you see the actual movie when it gets release..

It seems to be WOTW-esque, at least the Spielberg version in the way that we're seeing the action from only one point of view and not seeing wide shots of destuction. It's far scarier for the audience to be on the same level as the characters and heightens the realism of an improbable situation.

Again, I can't wait.

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with Lost.

With a budget of 30 million I don't know how much we'll get as far as monsters go. One of the update pages claims ILM is doing the visual work.

Actually Mark, this may be a good sign. How many bloated over-budget "event" films have we gone to only to be completely disappointed in the end? I would much rather see a clever story and an interesting perspective on the daikaiju genre rather than overt spectacle and noisy set pieces. If this budget is confirmed to be true, than I guess the filmmakers are sticking with the Blair Witch 1st person POV which excites me. Honestly, I have always loved giant monster films but the impact of what a beast that is over 100 feet would do in a city has never really unnerved me until this trailer had come out. And that was watching it on a 13" Macbook (albeit in glorious HD) rather than seeing it on a huge screen in the theatres.

I'm totally into this until Abrams' reveals it to be not cool.

I wonder if they are going with music or whether they will limit any underscore to soundscapes. If they stick with the trailer style, I would say, no music would be better. A daikaiju film shot in documentary style would be a first, the original Gojira not-withstanding.

I agree. We don't need an over stuffed monster movie like Transformers, or the American Godzilla.

Lots of cynics are already dismissing this because JJ Abrams involvement but personally the last 5 episodes of LOST season 3 were about as good as anything I've seen on the big screen over the past year.

How much did Abrams really have to do with season 3 (apart from directing A Tale of Two Cities)?

Isn't it pretty much Cuse and Lindelof's show now?

Actually, what I read back in October (when the new season was about to start) Abrams' involvement in the show decreased considerably in Season 2 because of the M:I:III directional duties. But the article stated that he was very happy to return to season 1-type of involvement for the third season.

Now, if you ask me, the only geniunely Abrams devices I spotted in the season was Sawyer's pacemaker, and the Agatha Christie episode where the newbies get buried alive. And even the latter example is a stretch.

And that was watching it on a 13" Macbook (albeit in glorious HD) rather than seeing it on a huge screen in the theatres.

Yea, I was watching it on my 15'' MacBook Pro. Yea. It rocked. I cant wait for this.

I remember seeing this trailer before Transformers, it looked pretty good but then my heart skipped a beat when you saw that it was the statue of liberty's head. I decided then I was going to see it.

An interesting new tidbit from AICN today:

The film starts with a rescue crew cleaning up after the entire incident, and one of them finds a camera. They rewind the tape, press play... and the playback is the movie that unfolds.

The whole article is worth a read, although that's the only new bit I could find, along with more confirmation that none of the speculation about what the monster is has been right.

Maybe it's the muffled roar as the creature is coming up from the depths or because it's further away from the party you can't hear it as clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look back at the history of monster films you'll notice alot travel by water.

Here's the official word.

link

Oh, scroll down for a IJ IV suprise.

Funny. I never thought that copying the artwork for two Emmerich films (Godzilla and, more obviously, The Day After Tomorrow), you'd get something interesting.

Straight from the man himself:

"This is going to be really quick," Abrams said to the capacity crowd. "I just want to say I want a monster movie. I want a great monster movie. I've wanted a monster movie for so long, and I was in Japan a year ago with my son who is eight, and all he wanted to do was go to toy stores - so I know he's my son. And we went to the store and there were still all of these Godzillas, and I thought we need our own monster. We need a monster movie - not like King Kong. I love King Kong - King Kong is adorable - and Godzilla is a charming monster, but I wanted something that was just insane and intense.

"So we decided to make this movie and we're making it for you now, and it's almost done shooting," Abrams continued. "I watch dailies and I'm more excited about the movie itself than the trailer, which has gotten an amazing response and I can't thank you enough."

Abrams teased the audience with a laundry list of things to expect prior to the film's release. "We have six months before this movie comes out, which is a long time," he said. "So in the coming months you're going to get a whole bunch of things: you're going to get the real trailer, you're going to get the real poster, you're going to get to see footage from the movie, and you'll get the real title. I won't give you that today," he said to a disapproving crowd. "Do you think we'll call it Monstrous? No," he said definitively, indicating that a possible title that recently appeared online was incorrect.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/808/808901p1.html

• 3 months later...

New trailer is about to come out with it official title called Cloverfield. You can see the trailer on YouTube but the video quality isn't that good considering it is been recorded by someone from a 3G camera phone. Click Here

I heard about the title news, but not the leaking of the trailer. Supposedly, the monster can be seen somewhere in it, but the quality it so low it's impossible to tell.

Yeah I read a supposed spoiler of the trailer several weeks ago that the name would be Clovefield and that you can catch a glimpse of something moving between buildings.

I think most people have forgotten about this film.

yeah and since the quality is that bad it seems pointless to watch it on youtube... Anyway the trailer is due to be out very soon in better quality.

I think most people have forgotten about this film.

I haven't, I just haven't seen any news on it in a while. I'll wait until the trailer is officially released online, or a good quality leak hits, to watch it.

No, you didn't see the Beowulf part considering I failed to mention that the trailer is going to attached to Beowulf. Although I did say it going to be out very soon like I meant I'm referring to the attachment to Beowulf release.

Wow all that jump editing was annoying, I hope that was just for the trailer and not a direction the movie's going. Other than that it still looks good. Abrams is definately taking a long shot with this style, hopefully it'll work.

I doubt it will be jumping that much in the film, because if it did, no one would see anything. I am liking the "home video" style, though it could become tiresome and potentially vomit-inducing.

The HD quality version of the trailer has been released:

Enjoy.

I just saw the theatrical trailer, it looks...interesting. Great SFX, unique idea, but it seems like another action flick. Sort of a Independence Day meets the Office.

What's wrong with my real player???

There's so many possible replies to this one... for starters, it's an evil program (at least it used to be, haven't checked in a while).

I can tell. The monster, from what I got a look at from the trailer, looks like Godzilla. If you freeze frame on the part where it goes between two buildings you can see it's whole foot as it steps. Very lizard like and stands upright.

Although, I doubt they'll ever show the monster in the movie, kinda like the Blair Witch. The budget was pretty low and the CGI for the Statue of Liberty was aweful.