Cloverfield

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can make it thru a Michael Bay film then Cloverfield should be no problem.

After the first few minutes my eyes adjusted to the flm.

"Roar" was a fun piece of music. The movie did little for me otherwise. It would have been more effective if I didn't think the characters were all stupid and deserved to die. I wanted the guy with the camcorder to put the camera down and help his friends.

"But Neil, then there'd be no movie!".

I'm okay with that.

I was also hoping the camcorders battery would run out in the middle. Sadly, that never happened either.

Business was down almost 70% the second weekend, dropping the film from first place to fourth.

Neil

It would have been more effective if I didn't think the characters were all stupid and deserved to die.

That's one criticism I'll agree with even though I very much enjoyed the movie: the characters are not particularly likeable. Hud is a dope, while Rob's insistence on saving his (red hot) girl, who was at the center of the initial destruction with a million to one chance of survival, has to go down as one of the stupidest character decisions of all time.

But maybe that's a good thing, since we see them all get offed anyway.

It would have been more effective if I didn't think the characters were all stupid and deserved to die.

That's one criticism I'll agree with even though I very much enjoyed the movie: the characters are not particularly likeable. Hud is a dope, while Rob's insistence on saving his (red hot) girl, who was at the center of the initial destruction with a million to one chance of survival, has to go down as one of the stupidest character decisions of all time.

But maybe that's a good thing, since we see them all get offed anyway.

Oh I don't know John, the dumb things one does when they are in love are mind boggling at times.

Although if she showed up at a party with another guy I doubt I'd go after her. I would go after family members if I knew they were still alive.

Neil's got a point, I would put down the camera to help but that would have been after I got a clear shot of the monster.

Yes I would go after it trying to get a clear shot because I'm just stupid when it comes to stuff like that.

I don't mean to offend any of our younger members but I though the characters reflected alot of the younger people I come into contact with in real life that are in the 19-26 age group.

But it's just a monster movie and I thought it worked well.

They reflect that age group because they are in that age group.

Anyway, I found them pretty likable. Hud was funny when he needed to be and a good character to relate to. Rob I thought was a good hero (the actor is going places) and the girls were pretty replaceable.

All in all better characterization than we see these days.

I got sick, but I get motion sickness easily. It's just how it is... Had I thought about it, I would have taken something to fight it before I went.

But don't NOT see it because of that. If you're afraid you'll get sick, take something before you go.

I liked the characters... I liked the brothers Girlfriend...

most of the acting to me was very realistic... free... not very "film" like. I mean, we look back on the 40's and such and see that over acting as a kinda nastalgic style... I wonder if the action of todays films will be like that too..

This... this was about as close to improv/reality acting as you get.

The one girl I think though was a bit.. "over" acting but it added to the humor when Hud was all over her... her stares off camera at him were great comedy moments... but I wasn't sure at times wether a person would ACTUALLY act that way... or whether they'd break emotionally... especially after what she saw in the streets when it first passed.

I do have to say though, I did really like the movie... some of it was hard to watch because I can't deal with gore...

And the only other part was when in the begining, after the Statue of Liberty's head flew into the street... and after people stood there taking pictures of it... which... sadly... Is how it would be...

But the building that came down right after that... It was soo... close... to what 9-11 looked like... when the towers came down... the dust cloud... the papers in the air...

The people wandering around covered in soot and ash...

THe one thing that makes me wonder is what they'll do for a sequel. You all know they'll make one lol

They have said they may just cover the same attack, but from a different angle. A different persons perspective... but the question then becomes, what sort of story will they tell to go along with it... this one was a love story... about a person trying to go after a girl...

What sort of story would the sequel cover... Parent and children maybe?

Then there's the whole "Help Up" backwards message... if that's true which I'm almost certain it is... what would be next? The seqeul would probably want to cover that.

It also makes you wonder if they'd find some way to show more... maybe following a film crew or something from a news channel...

I saw Cloverfield last weekend and again this weekend, and really enjoyed it both times. While the whole home-video thing disallowed for traditional visual storytelling, it provided for a lot of really cool opportunities for the filmmakers. The frequent cuts and glitches back to Rob and Beth's day at Coney Island were wonderfully jarring and made for a more realistic experience, as the film plays just like a real video tape does, so we can view it just like the U.S. military did when they found it. I liked how in the beginning you are introduced to the characters through choice clips and time cuts throughout the night, then the monster portion of the movie begins very suddenly, and from then on it's a disaster movie.

It's great, how the filmmakers kept the movie completely realistic: what would people do in this situation? When everyone rushes up onto the roof, there are snippets of people saying "Is it another attack? Is it terrorists?" And of course the terrifying moment when the Statue of Liberty's head flies through the air to land in the street, what does everyone do immediately, but begin taking cell phone pictures. People take advantage of the situation and start looting stores. There is fire in the streets, and papers and dust floating in the wind. I was particularly shocked the first time I saw it when that building collapsed after the monster walked by (was it the Empire State Building?). When they were on the bridge and it attacked again, I actually felt pretty bad because Lily, who was always so composed and cool all the time, was screaming and crying for her boyfriend, which was sad to see.

(Also, telling your mother that one of her sons is dead?

:) )

Rob's decision to go back to find Beth didn't seem that crazy to me. I didn't like her a ton, but he was in love with her, and the rest of his friends felt they had to stay with him, so I don't think that was a plot problem. As for the rest of the characters, I think they are realistic too: the cameraman Hud is the token annoying but funny friend (everybody has one), and the rest of them are the typical New-York partygoers, but with perhaps slightly more depth than most of them. The scene in which they are running down the street, when all of a sudden the monster rears out in front of them and they are caught in the middle of a loud-as-hell gunfight was very thrilling. I think the most chilling part of the movie, however, was when the rats were running down the tunnel, and the camera turns around and you can hear distant noises, but all you can see is the lights trailing off in to the blackness. The most utterly terrifying moment, perhaps, is when, after they have resuced Beth (which is a suspenseful treat of a rooftop sequence), they are going back, and are all just sitting ducks as the monster approaches, roaring and chomping. The helicopter scene, too, was exhilarating, when they took off as the monster continued to demolish the army, and then watched that "Woblin' Goblin" plane (for which I don't know the actual name) bomb the crap out of the monster, and the crashing part was particularly heart-pounding. I also loved the camera's attempt to focus on Hud's face after he was dropped; what a neat effect. (And the monster is friggin' scary in this scene, too.)

Considering the format of the movie, I don't think it could have had a more perfect ending. There is indeed a splash in the last shot, on the horizon on the right half of the screen, right before the camera swivels to Beth and Rob. It goes very quickly, but apparently it is indeed a satellite, according to all that online backstory stuff. Which, by the way, is incredibly elaborate and fun to trace if you have some time on your hands. I guess it's supposed to be a Slusho satellite which crashed, but it was there because they were trying to globablize their slurpy company. I guess the same thing the company put in their slushies is what the monster drank, and it made it very happy and strengthened its skin. Anybody who found out about these effects, which were also becoming apparent in the people who were consuming them in Japan, was kidnapped, like that guy whose girldfriend got word of his kidnapping and apparently drank some of the ingredient that he left her along with the note (I guess she was the one who was passed out at the party because you can't drink it warm ;) ) I think that oil company who discovered the ingredient and was related to Slusho (not sure how) was the company that hired Rob, and then one of their satellites crashed into the ocean and disturbed the monster, which, a month later, attacked the city.

All of that I am piecing together from various accounts, but I think it's pretty accurate. It's a cool indication of how movies are spreading to different mediums and becoming accessible online (it also shows some serious awesomeness from Abrams and Co.). I think the characters all have MySpaces too, which contain clues in comments and stuff. That's what's great about the movie: it's an excellent and mysterious standalone piece, but it also incorporates this expansive backstory for those who are interested. A-

Also, I enjoyed "Roar!"

~Sturgis - the issue with the battery is very simple indeed: the movie is only 1 hr. 25 min. because the battery life of a camera is short; the story spans seven hours, but the tape has 1 hr. 25 min. of footage on it because Hud was not taping continuously

I was particularly shocked the first time I saw it when that building collapsed after the monster walked by (was it the Empire State Building?).

Yes, it looked like it to me.

sorry but no way that thing would knock the empire state building down, thumbs down for extreme lack of originality.

The frequent cuts and glitches back to Rob and Beth's day at Coney Island were wonderfully jarring and made for a more realistic experience

That is actually very unrealistic. Hud was taping over the material, it's not possible to go back to previously recorded footage if you taped over it!

I also loved the camera's attempt to focus on Hud's face after he was dropped; what a neat effect.

They tried to make it a cool effect, but any camera would do that if it was on auto-focus and you were trying to focus on something. The camera for one would not survive the helicopter crash nor dropping the distance it fell from the monster.

the issue with the battery is very simple indeed: the movie is only 1 hr. 25 min. because the battery life of a camera is short; the story spans seven hours, but the tape has 1 hr. 25 min. of footage on it because Hud was not taping continuously

Battery life isn't as much an issue as tape length. Mini-DVD's last only 60 minutes, not 90.

The frequent cuts and glitches back to Rob and Beth's day at Coney Island were wonderfully jarring and made for a more realistic experience

That is actually very unrealistic. Hud was taping over the material, it's not possible to go back to previously recorded footage if you taped over it!

Actually it is realistic. You'll notice (with the exception of the ending) that each time it goes to a flashback is when Hud is showing other people what he's shot. Usually when you do this you'll play it back to your friends and often what happens is that you'll stop playing it a little after you finished shooting. If you were filming over something then this causes the old footage to show through the gap.

Now the fact that each flashback is it's own really tiny self contained scene isn't so realistic but the concept itself is.

I thought it was the Chrysler. It's hard to tell though.

What were you expecting Joe? As if the decapitation of the Statue of Liberty is an original thought too, ar a monster destroying Manhattan...

you do see the Chrsyler Bldg later in the movie, it was def. the ESB.

hey magical me, when the f**k has the Statue of liberty been decapitated in film before, tell us when, tell us, we're waiting, and we will continue, i8888

hey magical me, when the f**k has the Statue of liberty been decapitated in film before, tell us when, tell us, we're waiting, and we will continue, i8888

egt7.jpg

Nice poster KM, but you never see the statue get decapitated in EFNY. but you gave it the old Kanadian try,

Nice poster KM, but you never see the statue get decapitated in EFNY. but you gave it the old Kanadian try,

Did you mean to mis-spell Canadian as part of a joke???

KM used to refer to himself as the King of Kanadia, so its an inside joke, does it offend you

Acually that video tape thing is realistic, just as QMM said. Have you never experienced this when watching Mini-DV tapes (which by the way come in lengths of anywhere from 30 to 80 minutes)?

I also loved the camera's attempt to focus on Hud's face after he was dropped; what a neat effect.

They tried to make it a cool effect, but any camera would do that if it was on auto-focus and you were trying to focus on something. The camera for one would not survive the helicopter crash nor dropping the distance it fell from the monster.

Yes, any camera would do that, making it a cool realistic effect. And as for the falling thing, it would be able to survive a 20-foot fall to the ground, which was not concrete or anything that would cause it to shatter from a fairly short drop. And in the helicopter, if Hud was holding it when they fell, it is possible that he would not have let go, so it never hit anything. This is probably what happened, seeing as how the camera is still working after that.

~Sturgis

I thought that the creature might eat Hud and the camera would follow his remains down its gullet into its stomach- then maybe regurgitated later on. I know that sounds ridiculous but a few fellow kaiju fan friends also thought that. we're evil. :)

wasn't sure if you guys had heard "Roar" yet, but here's the end credits music to Cloverfield along with the "Help Us"/ other message thing

hey! i downloaded that shoddy recording of "Roar!" It may have talking, but i still put it on my MP3 player.

Yes, I was half expexting the camera to go down with Hud also. It wouldn't have made much of an ending though, the tape and battery would have run out long before...nature took its course.

I thought it was the Chrysler. It's hard to tell though.

What were you expecting Joe? As if the decapitation of the Statue of Liberty is an original thought too, ar a monster destroying Manhattan...

you do see the Chrsyler Bldg later in the movie, it was def. the ESB.

I seem to recall the film Deep Impact featuring the decapitated statue.

I seem to recall Independence Day featuring the decapitated statue.

I seem to recall something similar (cut in half from the torso) in Godzilla: Final Wars.

I seem to recall the film Deep Impact featuring the decapitated statue.

I seem to recall Independence Day featuring the decapitated statue.

I seem to recall something similar (cut in half from the torso) in Godzilla: Final Wars.

I wouldn't want to have to sit thru Final Wars again to find out.

I don't think those scenes were head decaps only, more like upper torso.

That would be disturbing yet hilarious.

It did look like they were going to do that but chickened out at the last second. I don't ever think I would want to see pieces of Hud along the way down, just the camera's descent into the bowels (literally and figuratively) of the creature. :)

it does seem small... the other thing is it could be a trick of the camera... I noticed in that squence as the camera panned, there was a slight bubble effect... almost as if the camera was recording in an almost 360 degree fashion... like if you watch the cars along the sides of the street as it turns, they bow in and out. It's what first made me sick lol...

It's an old trick that's been done in many monster films, changing the size of the creature or other things to fit within the city streets. The original King Kong did it, GINO did it as well.

ok in Independence Day the Statue was knocked over proving Magical me wrong, I will look at deep impact later, but I believe Mark is correct.

ok in Independence Day the Statue was knocked over proving Magical me wrong,
Irrelevent. The point is, the destruction of the icon of Lady Liberty is nothing new.

ok in Independence Day the Statue was knocked over proving Magical me wrong,
Irrelevent. The point is, the destruction of the icon of Lady Liberty is nothing new.

your point?

He also stated that it was trying to be original while at the same time stating that he destruction of the Statue is nothing new, sorry but sounds like he wants to have it both ways, and he can't.

Cloverfield was not trying to be original. It was trying to be realistic.

Then why was the head so small?

The statue isn't all that huge.

From this site:

Height from base to torch: 152' 2" (46.84m)

And more importantly,

Head from chin to cranium: 17' 3" (5.26m)

Even with an extra few feet added for the spikes on her head, that would fit in a city street.

~Sturgis

He also stated that it was trying to be original while at the same time stating that he destruction of the Statue is nothing new, sorry but sounds like he wants to have it both ways, and he can't.

Uh oh, someone has not been reading posts properly:

Cloverfield was not trying to be original. It was trying to be realistic.