"Godzilla" and "The Dark Crystal"

robthehand

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touchy aren't we?! I didn't state that Arnold was not the composer, merely stated the fact that Dodd contributes much to Arnold's work.

Apologies!

Mistook this for the FSM board for a moment. Sorry :)

Oh well, at least they were recorded in the same year... right?

No, The Dark Crystal came out in 1982, while Jedi was recorded in January and February of 1983.

Neil

Is there any way to get the Godzilla 2-Disc cheaper? I've been waiting for it for a long time, but I don't have 25 bucks to shell out for a CD.

Yes it is worth getting. If you've been waiting for a long time for the complete score then get it. I for one have not regretted purchasing the CD at all.

Oh well, at least they were recorded in the same year... right?

No, The Dark Crystal came out in 1982, while Jedi was recorded in January and February of 1983.

Neil

Well, damn then. 0 for 2.

Is there any way to get the Godzilla 2-Disc cheaper? I've been waiting for it for a long time, but I don't have 25 bucks to shell out for a CD.

That's the great advantage of the weak dollar against the stronger euro.

A limited 2 CD set only costs 18 Euro's, as much or even a little cheaper then normal high volume pop-music CD's.

I imagine this will go for less than $25.

He will delete your bid if the price is too low for him.

By the way La La Land said this about the Godzilla score on MovieMusic.com

As the person who ponyed up the dough for this release I want to clarify this:

We had 6 cds worth of music to work with (about 7 hours worth of takes). We spent over a year on this project going over every note and scene of the film. Absolutely NOTHING is missing from this release. As a matter of fact, we even included tracks that didn't make the final cut...as well a few alternates.

We were told that a darker score was recorded prior to the one that was featured in the final print. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE had a copy of this music. It's gone -- vanished into thin air along with the missing reels of the Magnificent Ambersons, Jimmy Hoffa and public manners.

What you hear is the end product of a years worth of work from several individuals who made it there mission to deliver you guys the goods.

Hope you like it.

By the way La La Land said this about the Godzilla score on MovieMusic.com
As the person who ponyed up the dough for this release I want to clarify this:

We had 6 cds worth of music to work with (about 7 hours worth of takes). We spent over a year on this project going over every note and scene of the film. Absolutely NOTHING is missing from this release. As a matter of fact, we even included tracks that didn't make the final cut...as well a few alternates.

We were told that a darker score was recorded prior to the one that was featured in the final print. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE had a copy of this music. It's gone -- vanished into thin air along with the missing reels of the Magnificent Ambersons, Jimmy Hoffa and public manners.

What you hear is the end product of a years worth of work from several individuals who made it there mission to deliver you guys the goods.

Hope you like it.

My god, another score was recorded?! Perhaps David Arnold should re-record his lost masterpiece...

After the film was released I heard that story as well, in post production the tone of the film changed and Arnold had to go back and redo cues. I was told D & E decided to make Godzilla a sympathetic and amazing figure and have the film reflect that, much like when we first see the dinosaurs in JP.

Too bad it couldn't have stayed darker, much like the original Japanese film.

I remember during the shooting phase in 1997, Emmerich and Devlin said that it would be "a much darker film than Independence Day" - which made me really look forward to it. On one hand, I still get a real kick out of the movie for what it is, but on the other, I would have loved to have seen where they were originally going with this troubled film. By making Godzilla a more sympathetic character, they were pretty much regressing back to the later days of the Showa Era, which was exactly what they originally set out to avoid.

Wow....another piece of musical history just...gone. It took 9 years to get a complete recording (or any official release) of Godzilla, there's no way in hell we'll ever get a re-recording of that original score. Which sucks.

On another note, anyone know how long 3,000 copies could sell out? That's all they're selling I think.

Wow....another piece of musical history just...gone. It took 9 years to get a complete recording (or any official release) of Godzilla, there's no way in hell we'll ever get a re-recording of that original score. Which sucks.

On another note, anyone know how long 3,000 copies could sell out? That's all they're selling I think.

Yeah, just think of all the great music written before Godzilla that has been lost as well.

There's been a lot of demand for this score plus it's only been 9 years so it could go quickly.

I received a shipping confirmation the day it was released. I believe they ship first class, so it depends on where you live and the US Postal service :happybday: .

It usually takes about 3 to 4 days when I order from them.

Great, placed my order, took the $30 hit. It's much easier to drop money when you just close your eyes and stop thinking about it. :happybday: As you can tell, I could've probably used that 30 for something else, but I really love this score.

Too bad they aren't re-releasing the 2-disc set for Dark Crystal that came out a few years ago. I never picked that up before it sold out. :-(

The 2-disc set for The Dark Crystal is one of the few "limited edition" Cds I own. If you can find it, it's definitely worth the purchase (plus, there's a LOT more material than on the latest edition by LaLaLand). It's one of the best fantasy scores ever !

Great, placed my order, took the $30 hit. It's much easier to drop money when you just close your eyes and stop thinking about it. :happybday: As you can tell, I could've probably used that 30 for something else, but I really love this score.

Good.

I've heard dark Dark Cristal.I'll confirm it's overratedeness and that must have been why I've never noticed it.In the 80's I was very attuned to fantasy scores.Most of the tracks of the complete score c.d. consist of athmospheric effects and doesn't get moving untill the last long track that sounds like it's a 10 piece orchestra with synths.The theme is slightly catchy but that's it.

K.M.

When an official release of a bootleg happens I like to find interesting ways to put the illegals to rest.

Indeed. If all the bootlegs I have got official releases I'd delete them from my hard drive.

I've had the chance to listen to GODZILLA several times now, and I'm very glad I bought it! It's a huge improvement over the promo, particularly sound-wise. Of the 3 Devlin/Emmerich/Arnold scores though, I'd rank it below Stargate and Independence Day. The love theme is a bit too sappy, but it's used sparingly.

Stupid, since they may have alternate takes, or better sound quality, or tracks not on the official release. Die Hard, for instance.

You have a point there...

Stupid, since they may have alternate takes, or better sound quality, or tracks not on the official release. Die Hard, for instance.

It depends on the release. Usually I'll wait until I get the actual CD before I destroy a boot. And I have begun to back up my boots on my PC.

I need to buy some CD-R's and burn all the bootlegs I've got onto those CD-R's...

Well not that I don't think I will have to worry about my computer crashing since the last 2 years after I've built it has not had any problems or crashed once. :rolleyes:

Yeah you need to buy an additional hard drive and back up everything :rolleyes: Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. <_<

Godzilla has arrived, I managed to get one of the autographed copies.

LaLaLand sent two booklets, One with the CD and the autographed one seperate.

It's good that you guys are receiving yours now. I think I got shipping confirmation on Friday the 13th, so hopefully it comes soon...

You people that are getting the autographed ones, did you pre-order or something or did you order after they said they were out of autographs? I guess I'm wondering if you were supposed to get them, or if this is some surprise.

You people that are getting the autographed ones, did you pre-order or something or did you order after they said they were out of autographs? I guess I'm wondering if you were supposed to get them, or if this is some surprise.

I'm sure those that got autographed copies were the ones who pre-ordered directly from La La Land's site. I'm not sure how limited the autographed copies were...but I'd imagine the first 50 or so...maybe 100. That's just my guess.

I wonder how long it will take to reach Oz?

:)

Hopefully not as long as the last Godzilla CDs. ;)

My copies just arrived, with an autographed booklet of Godzilla. ;)

Guess I won't have to take that one to Úbeda. ;)

Not unless you want a personalized one.

You had to order from LaLaLand as soon as it was announced to ensure you got an autographed copy. There was no pre-order.