Are we geeks?

Josh500

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are we geeks?

• Yes we are, and proud of it, too.
    • Let's face it, we are. People who spend so much time on jwfan.net just HAVE to be . . .
    • Maybe you guys are, I'm sure as hell NOT.
    • No, we are just individuals who appreciate the massive talent of JW. That's got nothing to do with being a geek!
    • Bite me!

Something someone said on another thread (I won't say what, who, or where, but maybe you can guess!) made me wonder. Are we geeks for spending so much time on jwfan.net and being so into JW's scores and film music in general? What do you think?

:lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it and i'll say it again,there's no doubt in my mind that were all geeks.I'm am not worried to tell people I like film music anymore,I just don't expect much return conversation about it...just a blank,puzzled stare

K.M.waiting for his insomnia to subside right now.

At this point, my world is very small. Writing music, family, and entertainment (including listening to music.) I don't much care for how the world has turned out, so I am not about to compare myself to any mainstream trends, which are probably bunk anyway.

...wait a second Josh...you told Cammie on the first date and she didn't sleep with you

Nope, that's not it. I didn't tell her and I did sleep with her . . . :lol:

Anyway, I found that I generally do NOT tell people that I'm a film music fan . . . I wondered why that is . . .

Most people I casually tell don't react too positively or change the subject quickly...so it's not that I want to avoid it,it's just like that.

Other people don't necesarilly think it is the music that is weird, but rather our interest in something that doesn't seem to be cool, our devotion to seventy-some-year old guys with a baton, our air-conducting habits and so on. Yes, most of us are geeks. :lol:

Oh I'm a geek in so many ways - music, computers. I swear that when I went to see Shrek 3 with a few people, one of whom was a coursemate, we started talking about databases, and I heard someone behind us utter the word 'geeks'. Not in a bad way though :lol:

My friends here at uni find my musical interests a little weird, but ultimately they respect it. One guy actually thinks it's kinda cool and currently has my TT:CR set, although I'm not sure he lived up to his promise of listening to it.

People noticing you have the scores to LotR or Star Wars on your ipod could be ok,but how about telling people you spent entire nights editing an expanded SFX free RotS score from videogame cues or that you check a "John Williams Message Board" like 20 times a day...I dunno,that's just something I keep to myself.

Do you have any doubts about our geekness?

Actually, just met this girl yesterday, and was kind of suprised with her reaction being so positive when we talked about my passion for music and John Williams...

And no, I didn't splept with her, because I don't believe in sleeping with someone on a first date :lol:

Actually, just met this girl yesterday, and was kind of suprised with her reaction being so positive when we talked about my passion for music and John Williams...

And no, I didn't splept with her, because I don't believe in sleeping with someone on a first date :lol:

Eh, what happened to your wife and baby?

What usually happens with a wife and two kids.

By the way, I fully embrace my geekness. It's part of my personality, and I have enough denying a lot of other traits to deny geekness. Luckily, I not only like film music - classic rock will always be there to provide some balance.

Some girls react very positively to man's passion if it is an unique one and with artistic connection (and not just watching football and drinking beer :lol:). They believe they met someone interesting. Unless he starts babling about it 24/7, such interest can really be his advantage,... for the time being. :)

What kind of stupid question is that?

Liking JW does not make you a geek, well unless you wanna be one..

When I was a teen in the 80's, geek was a very bad label. Maybe now it's kind of cool to be a geek.

It's only geeky if yoo like the star wars and potter music. If you like JFK, A.I, Nixon, then you are not a geek.

Eh, what happened to your wife and baby?

My two boys are fine, thank you.

By the way, I fully embrace my geekness. It's part of my personality, and I have enough denying a lot of other traits to deny geekness. Luckily, I not only like film music - classic rock will always be there to provide some balance.

Me too, I have a wide-enough variety of interests in film/TV/music to marginalize the geekiness. Over here is the only place I revel in this. And I have a knack for talking to people about film music in a way that gets them interested.

For example, in this past two weeks I've been to several cultural events- on the one hand, A Debussy/Messian/Ravel concert, as well as a Glass/Zemlinsky/Rota one and on the other hand, a Megadeath concert and an Iggy Pop concert. And I bought tickets for my Jethro Tull next month. And, I've been practically living (whenever I can) at the Jerusalem film festival, where I've been seeing all kinds of films from all kinds of countries, and talking to all kinds of filmmakers. And I've been taking part in shooting two film projects. So I'm all over the board, can steer any conversation with anyone to the point of them being interested, and marginalizing the inherent geeky attitude of film/score love.

Haven't we had this discussion before with a poll?

If you guys/gals want to call yourself geeks go right ahead. I've never been called or considered myself a geek because of my love of film music, in fact alot of my friends/girlfriends found it interesting.

Everyone has their own unique interests and shouldn't be ashamed or feel like they will be made fun of because of it.

I don't mind being a geek. I'm quite cool with that.

Everyone I know these days appreciates me for whatever good or bad ideas, actions and words I bring to em.

See once you grow up enough to realize that it doesn't matter....it doesn't matter.....now that does take until your mid twenties.

I've said it and i'll say it again,there's no doubt in my mind that were all geeks.I'm am not worried to tell people I like film music anymore,I just don't expect much return conversation about it...just a blank,puzzled stare

K.M.waiting for his insomnia to subside right now.

Indeed. I'm proud to be a film score geek. My friends know that I am one and they laugh at me for it from time to time but I shrug it off and tell them it is what I like. A lot of times they think it is cool though that I do like this type of music.. and yes when I hang out with them I listen to their music so that's why they don't mind it as much.

As far as other people though when I tell them I listen to this type of music I get reactions just the same as you KM...blank and puzzled stares. I just chuckle at those people and walk off.

Amen. We're lost by now.

"I don't get it. Whatta ya like this stuff for? What do you do? Listen to it and pretend the movie's happening?"

Boy.

We're not geeks, we're passionate :happybday: !

I suppose we like JW because he composes great music (that alone moves us out of the geek category), but also because his music is not "self-centered". His music deals with pain, joy, love, beauty...

The geek likes one thing only. We like JW because it's a way of understanding so much more than his sole scores !

Let's face it - we are geeks! However, everyone I know thinks it's either cool or somewhat strange (but in a charming way) that I'm so interested in film music, because many people aren't this passionate or informed about any "scholarly" subject anymore. Therefore, we are geeks, yes, but also well-contextualized members of society.

SeekUYoda, lifelong geek and totally okay with that. :happybday:

To me the only people who use the term "geek" are those who who range from age 5 to 18.
you're seriously asking this question?

Yeah why? What did you vote for? The only people who have a problem with me asking this question are probably those who, deep inside, consider themselves geeks. Other people just vote for option no. 3, 4, or 5.

:happybday:

As far as I'm concerned, geek is a deragatory term and I do not use it to describe myself.

To me the only people who use the term "geek" are those who who range from age 5 to 18.

My course friends and I (almost) all consider ourselves geeks. And we range in age from 22 (me) -27.

If you guys/gals want to call yourself geeks go right ahead. I've never been called or considered myself a geek because of my love of film music, in fact alot of my friends/girlfriends found it interesting.

Everyone has their own unique interests and shouldn't be ashamed or feel like they will be made fun of because of it.

I would think that having 9000+ posts on a message board (any message board) would be enough to qualify anyone as a geek. :)

As for myself, I am a 100% unabashed total geek. I've even done the tape on the glasses bit.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not so certain I want to bare the title of geek anymore:

1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sour...rch&va=geek

We hang out on the internet at a website dedicated to a 70-something year old balding man who writes orchestral music for fantasy and sci-fi movies. I think the question answers itself.

John- who actually considers his Doctor Who obsession much more geeky

I voted yes. And Proud of it.

The simple fact that last night, because I was bored, I started singing the "Goodbye" sequence from the end of ET all the way through to the end credits wasn't enough? lol

Or that the only reason I know the difference between Regions and PAL and NTSC is becuase of the Episode III complete score edit using German dvd rip... lol

Try explaining THAT one lol

I am a geek, Nerd, Dork...whatever you want to call it lol

Yeah why? What did you vote for? The only people who have a problem with me asking this question are probably those who, deep inside, consider themselves geeks. Other people just vote for option no. 3, 4, or 5.

I voted for option 4. So :)

I would think that having 9000+ posts on a message board (any message board) would be enough to qualify anyone as a geek. ;)

As for myself, I am a 100% unabashed total geek. I've even done the tape on the glasses bit.

Well if you want to put it that way, I hung with the "in" crowd and didn't associate with the "geeks".

So :P

Me too :happybday:

Haven't visited the opticians in absolutely ages, and I'm not sure they'd be too impressed by the current state of my glasses. I even have a mini screwdriver set in my wallet (best Xmas cracker gift ever) that I use to periodically tighten one of the tiny screws...

Add that to the fact that I spend probably 90% of my time doing something, productive or otherwise on here (just look at the kind of times I play music below) and you have a fellow geek :)

As far as I'm concerned, geek is a deragatory term and I do not use it to describe myself.

That used to be true until a few years ago, but it's not anymore. In fact, it's getting cool to be a geek. Consider Gil Grissom from CSI as a for-instance--he's the super geek. And yet he's the hero of a TV show watched by millions all over the world.

Being a geek (if you're not a total dork, as well, that is) is fashionable nowadays--chicks dig that. :)

Yeah, we also might as well enjoy it while it lasts. Apparently it was fashionable to be a know-it-all curmudgeon in the 80's, too. And then, the 90's brought back the line of thought that "mainstream is good for you". The 00's are getting the "question the system" notion back, but who knows what the 2010's have in store for us?

From what I've seen (youth of America) "mainstream is good for you" is very popular nowadays.