Harry Potter Score Editing Resource

Henry B

Introduction

Welcome to the Harry Potter Score Editing Resource! If you are familiar with the Star Wars Prequel Music Resource, then you should have a good idea of this thread's purpose. The purpose is to provide specific instructions for the expansion of one's Harry Potter soundtrack CDs. That means putting music in chronological order and incorporating any additional music that is available. Concert suites such as "A Window to the Past" are not considered. This thread is a work in progress. Currently, I am missing a lot of information and music, as I do not own DVDs of the first two films, so any additional information is welcome.

Editing Terminology

mix - to overlay one piece of music onto another without doing any fades

fade in - to gradually increase the volume of a piece of music from silence to full (typically done over two-five seconds)

fade out - to gradually decrease the volume of a piece of music from full silence (typically done over two-five seconds)

crossfade or mix/paste- a combination of the previous three terms; to fade in one piece, fade out another, and mix the two

parentheses - Segments in parentheses should be edited separately, then edited with the preceding segment.

beg - beginning (0:00)

end - end

DVD Rips

At several points VOB files are specified. These files must be ripped from either the first (d1) or second (d2) disc (in SmartRipper, choose Files rather than Movies as the Rip Format; after ripping, use BeSure/BeSweet to convert the VOB file to CD audio (CD-DA)).

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

1. The Arrival of Baby Harry

2. Visit to the Zoo and Letters from Hogwarts

3. Diagon Alley and The Gringotts Vault

4. Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters and The Journey to Hogwarts

5. Entry into the Great Hall and The Banquet

6. Mr. Longbottom Flies

7. Hogwarts Forever! and The Moving Stairs

8. The Quidditch Match

9. Christmas at Hogwarts

10. The Invisibility Cloak and The Library Scene

11. A Change of Season (OST t10 1:34-end)

12. The Norwegian Ridgeback (OST t10 beg-1:34)

13. Fluffy's Harp

14. In the Devil's Snare and The Flying Keys

15. The Chess Game

16. The Face of Voldemort

17. Leaving Hogwarts

18. Harry's Wondrous World

19. Hedwig's Theme

misc. Prologue

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1. Prologue: Book II

OST t1 beg-~0:47

2. Dobby's Scheme

d1 VTS_01_0.VOB 6:22.4-6:51.7

3. The Escape from the Dursleys

d1 VTS_01_0.VOB 0:51.4-1:26

mix OST t1 ~0:47-end

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

1. Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme)

2. Aunt Marge's Waltz

3. The Knight Bus

4. Monster Books (OST t12 beg-0:25)

5. Apparition on the Train

6. Double Trouble

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

1. The Story Continues

2. Frank Dies

3. The Portkey (DVD menu)

4. The Quidditch World Cup

5. The Dark Mark

6. Foreign Visitors Arrive

7. Entrance of Beauxbatons (DVD-ROM feature menu)

8. The Goblet of Fire

9. Rita Skeeter

10. Sirius Fire

11. Harry Sees Dragons

12. Golden Egg

13. Owl Post (DVD menu)

14. Neville's Waltz

15. Harry in Winter

16. Potter Waltz

17. Do the Hippogriff *

18. This Is the Night *

19. Magic Works *

20. Underwater Secrets

21. The Black Lake

22. The Pensieve (DVD-ROM feature menu)

23. Hogwarts' March

24. The Maze

25. Voldemort

26. Death of Cedric

27. Another Year Ends

28. End Credits (DVD rip)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

1. Another Story (OST t3 beg-1:24)

2. Dementors in the Underpass

3. Flight of the Order of the Phoenix (last .05 seconds of OST t16 + OST t17)

4. The Ministry of Magic

5. Seeing Harry Off (musicloop.mp3 3:11.22-3:42.9)

6. A Journey to Hogwarts (OST t10 beg-0:33.5)

7. Umbridge Spoils a Beautiful Morning

8. Professor Umbridge

9. The Sacking of Trelawney (OST t16 beg-2:12.88 + musicloop.mp3 2:32.84-2:33.87)

10. Dumbledore's Army

11. The Room of Requirement

12. The Kiss

13. Return to Hogwarts (OST t10 0:33.5-end)

14. Snape's Memory (musicloop.mp3 0:49.5-1:22)

15. Darkness Takes Over

16. Fireworks

17. The Sirius Deception

18. Hall of Prophecy

19. Death of Sirius

20. Possession

21. Dumbledore's Apology (OST t3 1:05-end)

22. Loved Ones and Leaving

misc. A Journey to Hogwarts (Alternative) (musicloop.mp3 0:49.55-1:56.6)

As you can see, these lists are all incomplete. I need to track down the menus I found the Goblet music on (if possible, title/chapter numbers). As for the Williams scores, Secrets and Azkaban are heavily out of order and contain a lot of combined cues - some of which my current score edits don't incorporate - so I need to decide what to do about those. For example, "Boggarts!" is composed of roughly four different cues in reverse chronological order, yet the choppy editing involved in setting these right would result in a worse listening experience than simply leaving it as is, so what should we do?

Once this is basically completed, I may be uploading unreleased music for PM distribution.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, I didn't know there was that much music on the GOF DVD. I only had the end credits and one other cue.

As for POA, there is the trailer version of "Double Trouble" that was put on the official website (which sounds like crap, but it is "clean").

Good thread idea. Appropriate to my recent attempts at assembling my HP:SS complete soundtrack, too.

Here's a little info I can provide thus far for SS. Track titles are mine, Rowling's, and/or from the OST.

1. The Arrival of Baby Harry (DVD rip for 15 seconds; crossfade to OST t3 all) (I don't know if this intro, featuring Hedwig's theme on horn, is a separate cue, but I suspect it is. It's pretty easy to fake a clean ending on this one if you want it separate from "The Arrival of Baby Harry.")

2. Visit to the Zoo (OST t4 beg-1:43; DVD rip) (Again, I dunno if this is a separate cue or not. In the film, they play as one, but it sounds rather like an edit.)

3. Letters from No One - Part I (DVD rip all for about 1:30)

4. Letters from No One - Part II (OST t1 0:00-0:07; crossfade to OST t4 1:47-end) (This one doesn't have a clean opening in track 4, due to the string tremolos from the previous cue, so you can fake it with the beginning of "Prologue" or "Hedwig's Theme.")

5. The Keeper of the Keys (DVD rip all for about 0:50) (You may want to fade in and out with the SFX at the beginning and end in order to avoid sounding too abrupt. Same goes for any SFX-heavy rip.)

6. Just Harry (DVD rip all for about 1:00)

7. Dudley's Tail (rip all about 1:15)

8. Diagon Alley - Film Version (rip all about 1:30) (Purists won't want it in here because it's tracked, but that's their choice.)

9. Diagon Alley Source Cue - Gringotts (OST t5 beg-2:00; DVD rip for about 0:27; OST t5 2:00-end)

10. Harry's Wand (rip all about 2:00) (Dunno if it was a glitch, but the chapter change forced me to fake a clean ending to this cue. I Freeverb2'd a bit of the last pizzicato note in order to give it full reverb.)

11. Dark Times (rip all about 1:40) (Your choice as to whether you include the rumbly fade-in. I also used a long fade-out for the train station SFX at the end.)

12. Platform 9 and 3 Quarters (OST t6 beg-0:40; crossfade to DVD rip for about 0:09; crossfade to OST t6 0:41-1:05; crossfade to DVD rip for about 1:02)

13. Chocolate Frogs (rip all about 0:45)

More to come.

Alright, cool stuff. However, you won't see this incorporated into the title post - I'm only dealing with clean material. Yes, some music from DVD rips is "clean," but you'll find that there's usually considerable background hum from the sound effects mix, and because it's typically derived from the rear channels, the music - also present in the front and center channels - is not "complete." I would only add DVD rip material to a track list if it was from a music only portion of the film, and thus able to be ripped from the full surround mix (typically, this is only the end credits).

As for POA, there is the trailer version of "Double Trouble" that was put on the official website (which sounds like crap, but it is "clean").

The official web site seems to be gone... any chance of knowing where to find this music now?

Interestingly, this site seems to present the End Credits unedited - the film version cuts to the unreleased "Double Trouble" a little abruptly (you can tell; the last note of Hedwig's theme is held out longer on the album). It's in terrible quality, though.

Ah, I thought you might say that. I thought back to the prequel thread and realized you probably weren't planning on including rip info--a fact I always resented on the prequels, by the way. ;) No, but seriously, that's cool. However, I would like to add--simply for the sake of info--that the HP:SS rips are incredibly clean in many cues. The front channels sport incredible sound quality in the music, practically CD-quality, but they contain more SFX than the rear channels, which are not very SFX-heavy but have slightly muffled music. Anyway, my edit-in-progress uses the front channels as much as possible, with the rear channels filling in when the front channels are too heavy on the SFX.

The official web site seems to be gone... any chance of knowing where to find this music now?

I've lost that in a pc crash long ago and have been looking for it since. Especially the last few seconds is noteworthy. If anybody still has this, please PM me.

My PoA edit, clean of SFX:

01. Lumos 01.38

02. Aunt Marge's Waltz 02.15

03. The Knight Bus 02.52

04. Monster Book 0.30

(05. Grave Danger 0.17)*

06. Apparition on the Train 02.15

07. Double Trouble 01.39*

(08. Gryffindor 0.13)*

09. The Dementors 1.02

10. Hagrid the Professor 01.28

11. Buckbeak's Flight 02.08

12. The Headless Hunt 0.33

13. Boggarts 01.52 (re-edited)

14. The Portrait Gallery (Film Version) 02.04

15. Secrets of the Castle 01.32

16. Quidditch 03.47

17. A Window to the Past 03.54

18. Snowball Fight 01.01

19. The Patronus 01.12

20. Buckbeak's Execution / Chasing Scabbers 03.46

21. The Whomping Willow 01.22

22. Lupin's Transformation 04.25

23. The Dementors Converge 03.12

24. Forward to Time Past 02.33

25. Saving Buckbeak 04.18

26. The Werewolf Scene 1.36

27. Finale 03.24

28. Mischief Managed 06.57 (re-edit, includes DVD material)

Bonus tracks: Portrait Gallery (Alternate album version)

Concert suites: Double Trouble, A Bridge to the Past, Knight Bus; you may also include Witches, Wands and Wizards, Aunt Marge.

* I've edited some material which can be found on the DVD extras. However, there's a voice over it. I've selected the material without the voice, but also had to edit some away, so it's really just a few seconds worth of extra music without voice.

Grave Danger is such an edit of appr. three short parts.

Same for Gryffindor, though the edit is rather noticeable because I wanted it sfx-free (apart from one or two small crackles but you don't hear that).

At the beginning of Double Trouble I edited the end part of the cut from Harry looking through the window to the carriages. It's from the original recording because in the film this ending overlaps with the film version of Double Trouble. I haven't done that because I'd lose the whole beginning of Double Trouble.

The only thing that I haven't gotten around to is take and edit the sweet shop material on the DVD extras. Frankly, these short tidbits are not really worth the bother - and I'll probably even leave them out when burning this to CD.

I based myself on the complete cue list on this site. Which leads me to ask: where are those complete cue lists now? Can't find them.

I did edit together all the various Boggart sequences. The album edits them in a different order. I must say I find my edit much more pleasing, though it's some puzzle work.

You've also got the option to edit somethings together to mask some edits, because some fades are rather hard to do, that's because the album is edited together like that. You could for instance do that with Headless Hunt and Boggarts, or The Dementors and Hagrid the Professor.

I did that for Buckbeak's Execution and Chasing Scabbers, which works really well.

Oh also, A Window to the Past is not in the film, but there are two places you may insert this in the chrono order: whey they talk on the bridge and when there's a change of seasons. I think it's best to insert it for listening purposes- otherwise you'll get an overload at the end. The place where I put it is best for listening purposes I think.

Where did you find the "Grave Danger" and "Gryffindor" material?

The Defense Against the Dark Arts DVD menu features the music for the lock-down of Hogwarts, and the transition to the DVD-ROM feature menu features a short clip of Sirius's theme, which I haven't been able to place.

"A Window to the Past" is composed of an opening recorder solo, then the end credits segment (not sure if the recording is the same - I should check), then the "Change of Season" film cue.

It's from an extra, I think it's the Dark arts extra. There's an annoying voice all over it which you'll want to edit out. But really, these few seconds are also edits of various material found there, not worth the trouble. It's clear the DVD guys had access to the complete recordings though.

and the transition to the DVD-ROM feature menu features a short clip of Sirius's theme

I missed that I think. I'll have to look into it.

It's clear the DVD guys had access to the complete recordings though.

Soooooo annoying when music editors for side projects are given free reign with the full scores! It works out rather well for us on occasion, because then we get to rip a few clean bits here and there...but most of the time, it's just annoying. This'd be so much simpler if things were as they should be and EVERY SCORE WERE RELEASED IN FULL THE FIRST TIME!

It's clear the DVD guys had access to the complete recordings though.

Soooooo annoying when music editors for side projects are given free reign with the full scores! It works out rather well for us on occasion, because then we get to rip a few clean bits here and there...but most of the time, it's just annoying. This'd be so much simpler if things were as they should be and EVERY SCORE WERE RELEASED IN FULL THE FIRST TIME!

I got to agree with this...

However a lot of scores suffer the re-use fee bit and that's probably why they aren't released in full the first time around. It would be nice to see scores from a movie released in their fullness the first time.

Financially it would probably be a disaster for labels to release complete scores. We represent a very small section of the music community. And even those who are casual fans might be put off by buying double disc sets of film scores.

The fees for scores recorded in the states would play a large factor.

guys... lets cut the chatter...I'm sorry but if this thread is going to become a war between the fan boys complaining and the others saying to stop... then we may as well close it now because it won't be a resource to anyone...

guys... lets cut the chatter...I'm sorry but if this thread is going to become a war between the fan boys complaining and the others saying to stop... then we may as well close it now because it won't be a resource to anyone...

Oh get off your high horse. We can discuss this if we want.... geez. You aint the mod here.

Financially it would probably be a disaster for labels to release complete scores. We represent a very small section of the music community. And even those who are casual fans might be put off by buying double disc sets of film scores.

Yes it would be a financial disaster to release 2 c.d. sets of Harry Potter,Indiana Jones ,the Star Wars Prequels other Williams holy grails.Record producers should just stick to 2 c.d. releases of even more obscure scores such as Godzilla and Dark Crystal

Your obsession with Williams clouds your mind to discuss things rationally.

You can't comprehend that there are other composers besides Williams who write good film music. Plus you are completely ignoring the original question that was brought up. We were talking about albums being released at the time of the movie, not as limited editions. Godzilla is limited to 3000 and is 9 years old, The Dark Crystal is another release of an album that sold well and went out of print.

Williams is represented on CD better than any other composer out there.

So if "wide releases" of Harry Potter complete scores would be a financial disaster,why aren't limited editions considered?

Probably because the record company is not interested in releasing a limited edition of Harry Potter.

It's a lot of work, costs money and it's not gonna bring them any great profits.

Warner Music isn't a niche label like FSM or intrada, they want to sell hundreds of thousands of CD's, not 3000.

And another reason Godzilla got released is that David Arnold actively tries to get as much of his music released as possible. That's not the case for John Williams, who cuts his album and moves on.

There is a financial risk with limited editions as well. But it's the small labels like FSM and Intrada who will suffer the consequences, not the bigger ones.

Soundtracks represent a very small part of the music community. For every Star Wars or Titanic there many that don't even make a dent in the sales.

We are very fortunate to have any music at all.

What about the cue when the troll is in the dungeon in SS ??

Not available anywhere except the DVD rip, and a bit more effects-laden than other SS cues.

I also happen to be re-working my SS complete score. Henry, I'll try to post the correct track times to chrono edit the OST sometime today.

John- home sick from work, again. With all the rain we've had this is the worst allergy season I can remember.

The fees for scores recorded in the states would play a large factor.

i dont mind single cd incomplete releases, as long as all the good bits are in it, which unfortunately is rarely the case

He's right, though. I think there's more top-notch cues unreleased from Sorcerer's Stone than on the OST. Not so much for PoA though, that OST is pretty well selected.

"Fanboy twaddle", Steef? Hardly. I was just saying that good music deserves to be released in full. Mark's right that we're quite lucky to get any music at all, considering how comparatively unpopular film music is, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd like to hear the well-written, well-thought-out, enjoyable stuff in full.

If I sounded fanboyish before, please forgive me; I must have just come from the Micechat boards, and I'd forgotten to put on the dry, pompous, pufferfishlike mask that does wonders for making one fit in around these parts.

I also happen to be re-working my SS complete score. Henry, I'll try to post the correct track times to chrono edit the OST sometime today.

Hm? I thought that only "The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season" had to be edited because they're in reverse order (well, and "Christmas at Hogwarts," but I still have your DVD rip complete score, and the film version sounds very disjointed).

Not so much for PoA though, that OST is pretty well selected.

I beg to disagree. PoA has many unreleased highlights, though many are rather short. But then again, many cues on the album are very short too, they're just edited together. Also, the edits on the album are terrible, even leaving out 'highlights' within cues. But I may be biased; I think this is his best fantasy score since E.T.

Not so much for PoA though, that OST is pretty well selected.

I think this is his best fantasy score since E.T.

A-men, brother frommes!

Hm? I thought that only "The Norwegian Ridgeback and A Change of Season" had to be edited because they're in reverse order (well, and "Christmas at Hogwarts," but I still have your DVD rip complete score, and the film version sounds very disjointed).

You're right, now that I've looked at it more closely. It's been forever since I did anything on the OST, and wasn't really paying attention to what was where on there while editing the last few days. There are several tracks on there that are two seperate cues (for example Visit to the Zoo and Letters From Hogwarts) that have unreleased music between but are still in order. I guess it depends on how pedantic you want to get. :)

The only thing to really add is that you can take Hogwarts Forever and put it at the end of the disc, as it is a concert piece.

And as far as Christmas at Hogwarts goes, that is tricky becuase in the film you hear a little of the full ghost song and then it cuts to the instrumental version. The way I did it was true to that edit (just a simple fade out of the song on the OST in the second line, a best guess, then adding the unreleased bit), and I could understand if it sounded a little out of place.

I except your apology.

Jabba, you're a wonderful human being.

The only thing to really add is that you can take Hogwarts Forever and put it at the end of the disc, as it is a concert piece.

That's what I'm currently doing with my edit. I may change my mind eventually, as the piece does flow rather nicely in th early Hogwarts cues, but we'll see.

It's not some high horse... it's the fact that I would like to actually make a set like this, and I'd like help. I'd like to utilize a thread made, specifically for the purposes of making and documenting the resources from which to take material and rebuild the album...

I don't mind your conversations, but it becomes so tedious when every thread has the same argument... Why bother even making thread topics... they all become the same after page 2... and that bothers me ...especially when it's something that will benefit many here...

So don't get all upset... it's not some high horse... it's just annoying that you all argue the same points cyclically... it's like you say "Look! A new thread to spam with the same arguments over and over again and completely ignore the point of the thread..."

lol... just kinda... annoying...

I don't mind your conversations, but it becomes so tedious when every thread has the same argument... Why bother even making thread topics... they all become the same after page 2... and that bothers me ...especially when it's something that will benefit many here...

I'll drink to that. And I don't even like alcohol.

Back on topic...not much HP music has been released outside the OSTs and DVDs, right? I know there's a substantial amount available for the Star Wars prequel via the video games--hence the huge success of that thread--but there hasn't been for the Potter movies, has there? Not trying to criticize this thread, by the way. I'm just asking if there's some material out there I didn't know about. :music:

What happened to the complete cue lists that used to be on the main site? I can't find them any more...

Looks like that part of the site is being reworked. I may have the SS and/or COS list(s) saved somewhere on my other computer. I'll look into that.

Hopefully our humble moderator won't mind this link I found. The file was freely available on the official HP site before, and was also hosted on our very JWFAN site.

link removed

If all else fails, dig around the internets for a 53 second file called "SomethingWickedThisWayComes.mp3".

And I don't even like alcohol.

Good man.

Back on topic...not much HP music has been released outside the OSTs and DVDs, right? I know there's a substantial amount available for the Star Wars prequel via the video games--hence the huge success of that thread--but there hasn't been for the Potter movies, has there? Not trying to criticize this thread, by the way. I'm just asking if there's some material out there I didn't know about. :music:

No, what you said is pretty much it. Unlike most SW games the Potter games have had original music written (by the excellent Jeremy Soule) instead of just using the film scores.

Unlike most SW games the Potter games have had original music written (by the excellent Jeremy Soule) instead of just using the film scores.

I was under that impression; that's too bad. I've played fewer Potter games than Star Wars games, so I didn't really know. :music:

Speaking of which, I wonder if James Hannigan's score for Order of the Phoenix will be released on iTunes as Soule's scores have been. It incorporates Hedwig's Theme, too. If it isn't given an official iTunes release, I may be looking into buying the game and seeing what I can assemble from the music files.

What happened to the complete cue lists that used to be on the main site? I can't find them any more...

Looks like that part of the site is being reworked. I may have the SS and/or COS list(s) saved somewhere on my other computer. I'll look into that.

Hopefully our humble moderator won't mind this link I found. The file was freely available on the official HP site before, and was also hosted on our very JWFAN site.

link removed

If all else fails, dig around the internets for a 53 second file called "SomethingWickedThisWayComes.mp3".

Yes, yes, thank you! I just love those last four seconds. Too bad about the quality, it was worse than I remembered :music: