Harry Potter Score Editing Resource

Henry B

Yeah, horrid quality, but certainly an interesting version...if only the piccolo were mixed about 30 dB softer. The orchestral quality of the last bit is nice, as is the Hedwig's theme intro.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the cue list, this might help:

JWFan thread

For a correction on the Boggarts scene, see later on in the thread, in this post.

and the transition to the DVD-ROM feature menu features a short clip of Sirius's theme, which I haven't been able to place.

That's from the Shrieking Shack scene - when Harry attacks Sirius I think.

I love that part. What a pity it's only a few seconds.

There are also a few other snippits on the DVD menus:

- one with the Knight Bus motif; unused in the film I think. probably from the bit where Harry enters the bus; or else the bus's arrival. 0.09 (I've edited this in The Knight Bus and it works somewhat.)

- a fragment from 'learning the patronus', when Lupin's explaining. 0.08.

- a fragment from the second divination class 0.16

- the Shrieking Shack fragment mentioned above. 0.08

All in all nothing really usable though.

There's also nothing recoverable from the Honeydukes shop. The voice is all over the place.

Yup there is various unreleased music in that tour, but hardly any without the voice over. You can only get part of Grave Danger, and a Gryffindor snippit.

Most of these segments have various sound effects such as creaks and thunder rumblings mixed, if lightly, into them. There's not much that's actually clean.

By the way, I've been compiling all the available music from the Order of the Phoenix game demo that I can. Unfortunately, the music files are in an unbreakable format (by me), so all I could do was record the clean menu music and the Main Title theme (to this, I added some segments taken from trailers to complete it, though there are some sound effects that seeped through, so I included the incomplete/clean version as well). Fortunately, the menu rotates five different cues, so I've obtained a lot of music.

There's certainly something to be said for this game score. From what I've heard so far, it's just about the opposite of the film's... and that means it's a lot more like Sorcerer's Stone. Composer James Hannigan has been very faithful to Williams's "Hedwig's Theme" and its orchestration. PM me if you're interested in this music. (I've uploaded 256 kbps MP3s and Apple Lossless M4As.)

There's certainly something to be said for this game score. From what I've heard so far, it's just about the opposite of the film's...

So it's syrupy and overuses Hedwig's Theme?

Yes. Some of the original material is much darker, however. The Main Theme/Overture is not to be missed.

Put it this way: the music would be great for The Chamber of Secrets (perhaps better than Williams's recycled outing).

• 2 weeks later...

That's actually titled "The Werewolf Scene" on the album.

The album track "Lupin's Transformation" is the second werewolf scene in the film, and comes later.

So I swapped those track titles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started revising the Chamber of Secrets track list. Tracks 1-3 (featuring plenty of unreleased material) are up. For information on VOB files, read the new DVD Rip section at the beginning. I've built off of Steef's DVD ripping method but found an easier way to deal with audio that isn't or doesn't need to be in surround - this way, you get a straight audio track, not two or six that you need to mix together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

(Bump.)

Before I finish the OOTP edit (yeah, I'm years behind), I was wondering if there is additional unreleased music to be pulled from the DVD?

Wow, didn't know there was one of these for Potter.

I've made a slightly expanded edit, roughly 15 minutes of which is additional, most from the DVD rear channel. Are there any video game sources or anything else good quality apart from rear channel rips?

Nope. I added one track ("Snape's Memory") from musicloop.mp3. The list should be final now.

Thanks!

Oh, and this:

1. Another Story (OST t3 beg-1:24)

should read 1:04, I suppose. (I don't have the film handy.)

Well - no, if I remember correctly, the two cues actually overlap by a whole twenty seconds. For practical purposes a cut at 1:04 would probably be fine.