Will JW write for Harry Potter Anymore?

oboale

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But John Williams never scored a Police Academy movie.

What a loss. :lol:

Williams should be back for Deathly Hallows, but because he's the best, not because he should reprise all his previous themes.

Yeah, I also wish that'd happen. It would be qute a nice way to round up the "saga" also in a musical way.

hope JW will not score Harry Potter anymore.POA was so perfect but there are highlights where you can barely

hear the music. It is a shame.

Is there a reason why there's a spoiler tag around "Harry Potter"?

Funny as it may seem, I enjoyed listening to "You Are The Pan" many times during the last 250 or so pages, not that it fit especially well all the time, but it gave me that right sort of 'mood'.

After finishing the book I can honestly say that this film NEEDS Williams...or at least someone who knows how to use leitmotif effectively! (I'm looking at you, Doyle.)

Funny as it may seem, I enjoyed listening to "You Are The Pan" many times during the last 250 or so pages,

The first few times I read HBP I always had Lament from Revenge of the Sith running through my head the last few chapters.

That's quite a difference in views (between the pieces, I mean).

James Horner is very good with Leitmotifs

But would he supply a good Potter score? Is he even capable nowadays?

Probably not. Isn't he doing the upcoming Spiderwick Chronicles though? I think that's a fantasy...it'll be interesting to hear what he comes up with for it.

Ray Barnsbury

Oh my god! That music is so EPICCCC. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about the battle. All those characters were so brave!!

Nice impression, but your spelling's too good to pull it off convincingly. :P

Apparently Cauron may indeed like to return for the final film...

RT-UK: Is the Potter universe something you'd like to return to?

AC: You know, it was such a great opportunity and such a beautiful two years and everything around Harry Potter - JK Rowling's creation - is enveloped in this really beneficial energy. I got the benefits of that energy for those two years. So yes I'd be very tempted to do so even though, at this point, I feel a little bit like I have to try to do the films that are not going to exist without me. On the same token, I would be really tempted because it was really beautiful. I just started reading the last book and something I respect is the care the producers have put in the film franchise. It would have been so easy after the success of the series just to take the cynical approach of knowing that no matter what people are going to see those movies. Actually they've been taking a lot of care from beginning to end, so yeah I would be really tempted.

Full interview here.

I have to say, I'd be pretty excited to see him return!

Out of all the directors for the Harry Potter movies so far, I wouldwant Alfonso Cuaron more than any other for the 7th film.

I would love if Cuaron came back. Azkaban is easily my favorite of the five films.

One thing I'm confused about though -- I first read this news on Mugglenet and it seems that a great number of the fans there hated the third film saying that Cuaron butchered the story. It's been a long while since I read the third book, so I honestly don't know, but it definitely works the best as a film.

Edit: Nevermind, after reading more of the posts, many are lobbying to get Columbus back, therefore they lose all credibility. As long as Columbus stays away, I think I'll be happy.

One thing I'm confused about though -- I first read this news on Mugglenet and it seems that a great number of the fans there hated the third film saying that Cuaron butchered the story. It's been a long while since I read the third book, so I honestly don't know, but it definitely works the best as a film.

Well there is a lot of backstory and such that is either glossed over or completely left out of the film, mostly for the Mauraders. I know that left a pretty bad taste in my mouth after first seeing the movie, but it does help those who haven't read the books from getting completely drowned in information.

In the case of POA, I think that if it is taken as something independent from the book, then it provides the best movie experience. I've noticed that the majority of people who complain about the butchered story are ones who know the books really well and the people who are just casual fans enjoyed it. I'd consider myself as more than a casual fan, yet not a fanatic, and I enjoyed the film just fine. It's certainly my favorite, though OOTP is giving it a run for its money, mostly becuase I am so happy to see one of my two favorite characters portrayed perfectly (Luna).

Indeed, the backstory is important to the series as a whole, but the details of all the characters' connections in PoA can be confusing for non-fans as it is.

~Sturgis

Cuaron coming back would be fantastic, second in greatness only to Williams returning for the final installment. I can scarcely imagine the joys of a Cuaron/Williams ticket for Deathly Hallows!

Ray Barnsbury - who just might squee a litte bit

Should Williams return, I sincerely hope he remembers that he already scored two and a half Potter films.

Imagine him writing all- new themes because he simply forgot ...

"For the seventh film, I had the new privilege of writing a theme for Harry's family, which was a new opportunity in the Potter series..."

Ray Barnsbury

And, of course- "You know, I've never scored a movie with Maggie Smith before"

And "This is the first time I'm scoring a Harry Potter movie, it's quite an exciting challenge......."

Or "I had the great fortune to have access to the wide array of themes two of my colleagues wrote for the films, for they really defined the tone of the series".

And, of course- "You know, I've never scored a movie with Maggie Smith before"

And "This is the first time I'm scoring a Harry Potter movie, it's quite an exciting challenge......."

I could actually hear him saying that, especially the first one.

If Williams is gonna do the last one. (which he most probably won't, even if Cuaron directs) I'd wager he'll come up with a completely new set of themes and only re-use Hedwigs theme a couple of times. Much like he did with POA.

If Williams is gonna do the last one. (which he most probably won't, even if Cuaron directs) I'd wager he'll come up with a completely new set of themes and only re-use Hedwigs theme a couple of times. Much like he did with POA.

While it would be exciting and great to have Williams return for the last one....I really don't think he can top PoA, nor will he provide a continuation to that score. Better leave on a high note than come back and give us something meh. That and there are plenty of other composers to fill in the shoes.

Oh and P.S. About James Horner, he was offered Harry Potter before John Williams and he turned it down.

I personally vote for Cuaron matched with: James Newton Howard, Patrick Doyle, or even Nicholas Hooper.

The thing is Cuaron is one of those directors that demands a lot from his composers and understands the usage of music in a film...so it would be curious to see what any composer comes up with him. He doesn't just let the composer run off for 3 months and come back with a score, he's very much part of the process, says what he likes says what he doesn't etc.

Agreed.

Right from the start with the restrained underscore as Harry sits alone on that swing, I knew Hooper was a good choice.

What really sold me on Hooper, though, was a few minutes into the movie when Harry finally steps off the elevator and sees the Ministry of Magic for the first time. I didn't even notice that track before seeing the movie...but suddenly in that scene it came alive. It's the perfect musical juxtaposition of bureaucracy and a magical world. The music didn't just accompany the scene, it changed and reflected every beat and event in that short 20 second sequence

I personally vote for Cuaron matched with: James Newton Howard

Now you're talking! Other than that, Hooper would be a pretty good choice as well. I just think he needs to strengthen his thematic writing (ie, creating and playing around with more concrete themes).

Ray Barnsbury

Believe it or not, I thought Columbus was fairly appropriate to the first film...but he completely lost me with CoS. Cuaron did a fabulous job with his naturalistic approach to PoA, and I think that would work quite well for the seventh film. The biggest draw for me, though, is the prospect of Williams' possible return. I'm happy for those of you that really enjoyed Hooper's score, but it still disappoints me, despite a number of strengths. I'd rather hear Williams return.