Three Versions Of Close Encounters

Lurker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exclusive CD of "The Entire Close Encounters Soundtrack". This is a bit of an overstatement, as the CD is actually a 2007 pressing of the original 10-track soundtrack.

It puzzles me how can they have the guts to sell that.

Its not even a reprint of the collectors edition!

Manual, the OST is a very well put together album, one of Williams' better ones, i'd say.

The collector's edition is very good, yes. But that's hardly a reason to completely dismiss the old one.

Would you, Stef, stop calling me like if i were an instruction book? :lol:

I'm not dissmissing anything. But claiming to offer the 'entire score' giving the album is as lying as selling the TPM UE as 'every note composed'. (or even worse...since it doesnt add anything new...)

They could have released the complete score (truly complete) for CEOT3K this time. Another missed opportunity.

I recetly got the DVD-A version of the original soundtrack.

I forgot how good this CD was. It flows brilliantly.

I completely agree. Wonderful edits, EXCEPT for that awful edit 5 minutes and 10 seconds into the final track. When it goes into the presto section its an awful jarring edit, and it's pretty bad when it cuts back to the slow music half a minute later too :lol:

just got this, anxious to see what cool stuff it has. I was bothered by the "entire soundtrack"... but I guess they get away with it because it IS the entire original 'soundtrack'... not the entire "score"... or "every note recorded" ehem...

so yea... still kinda shady..

No Walmarts around here, otherwise I'd certainly go for that great deal. Reminds me of that Superman DVD release where you got the Japanese soundtrack release with the DVD.

I appreciate all the interior of the spacecraft scene and I can appreciate why it's also superfluous. I like it just because it's got some phenomenal music written for it and yeah, cool eye candy. But it's also best left up to the imagination, too, like Señor Spielbergo says.

I wonder if Spielberg would consider cutting a few too revealing scenes from War of the Worlds. The alien reveal at the end would have been tremendous if not for the extra basement scene with the aliens. I also think the newsvan "explaining" scene should be cut not just because it overexplains, but also the performance of the newswoman doesn't seem to fit into the film.

I really hope the original teaser trailer is somewhere on this set. It was nowhere to be found on the last CE3K DVD. The one I'm referring to is only the scene of the man in the car driving at night down a country road. Then suddenly lights start appearing on the horizon, where the road meets the sky. This is where the classic poster image comes from (and cover of the original CE3K soundtrack record). The light gets brighter and brighter until it fills the screen. I haven't seen this full trailer since I was about 7, and it scared the hell out of me at the time. I'd love to see it again! Time to check my discs, methinks hehehe.

Just bought this today from WalMart. It looks fantastic. If you buy it from WalMart you get an exclusive CD of "The Entire Close Encounters Soundtrack". This is a bit of an overstatement, as the CD is actually a 2007 pressing of the original 10-track soundtrack. It has new disc art (darkness with a few UFO lights at the top), but the disk itself is on a card, not in a jewel case, and there is no sleeve or cover etc. Still, for those who don't have the original Close Encounters CD release it's a nice way to get it for free.

So how is the sound on the CD compared to the original album and does it have the disco theme as well?

I have the original album but if the sound is better I may have to break my vow of not going to Walmart.

The sound is fine. I don't have the original with me to compare (it's in England!) but it sounds like there may have been a little remastering. Having said that I'd be surprised if they remastered it just for a Walmart give away promotion. To be honest I'm guessing it's the same version, just with different disk artwork. The Disco Version is not included. It's a bit out of date now anyway. If they were to release this film for the first time today it might have included the gangsta rap version of the main theme!

As for the extras, disc 1 includes a 1977 5-minute trailer for the film, including information about the principal film-makers (including Johnny boy of course!) Also it includes part 1 of a making of documentary. I'm guessing this carries on on disc 2.

The pic quality for the original theatrical version is wonderful! It's so nice to see the original version without all those music edits that one hears at the end of the special edition/director's edition.

I appreciate all the interior of the spacecraft scene and I can appreciate why it's also superfluous. I like it just because it's got some phenomenal music written for it and yeah, cool eye candy. But it's also best left up to the imagination, too, like Señor Spielbergo says.

I wonder if Spielberg would consider cutting a few too revealing scenes from War of the Worlds. The alien reveal at the end would have been tremendous if not for the extra basement scene with the aliens. I also think the newsvan "explaining" scene should be cut not just because it overexplains, but also the performance of the newswoman doesn't seem to fit into the film.

Yes. War of the Worlds could have been one of Spielberg's greatest films, but it was ruined by too much music and too many scenes. The aliens in the basement scene makes a joke of the aliens. I heard there was a lot of hype built up over their appearances, but they couldn't be more stock. The Boston arrival scene is too optimistic and action movie-like; I think it would have been more effective if the tripods had been dead on arrival. Seeing them go down so easily to military rocket launchers was lame. I rather like the news van scene, though, even if the newswoman is a little odd. That grainy news footage shot of the apocalyptic tripod scene is amazing.

I've heard from a user on TheForce.net that the bonus soundtrack is the DVD-A disc, not the original soundtrack, though it has ten tracks, not eleven (it's missing "Theme from Close Encounters").

HOLY cr**!

I had no intention on getting this release but i juat saw the price in a spanish site: DVDGO.com

And on Fnac too

11.99 €

And i paid 8.90 € for the old release just last year :/ and i thought it was a nice deal...

fu*k

Edit: Well i think im going to get rid of the old DVD...

Are all the extras on the 1998 DVD on this new set?

I'm assuming you meant the 2001 DVD release, not the 1998? I havan't fully explored all three discs yet, but I would hold onto the last release if I were you. The new box set only includes a Spielberg retrospective "30 Years of Close Encounters", a making of documentary split across the discs, and a 1977 5-minute featurette/trailer. I'm keeping my other DVD for the special features, but this new release is certainly the one to get for the films!

12 euros is amazing! I got mine from Wal*Mart. They have it listed as $29.99, but I got them to price-match Best Buy so they dropped the price to $25.99. I was pleasantly surprised they did that because Best Buy doesn't include the soundtrack CD!

As we say in England: "RESULT!"