Characterizing film composers

Farawyn

Each film score composer has his or her musical trademark, a particular "sound", something that he masters, that was a contribution to film scoring in general.

I tried to "summarize" the contributions of some composers (obviously this is very schematic).

Do you agree with these interpretations ? What do you think characterizes the "sound" of John Williams, Basil Poledouris, etc. ?

-Hans Zimmer : rythmic, heavy brass superposed with strings (Crimson Tide, The Rock, ...)

-Jerry Goldsmith : high-pitched violins with a counterpoint synthesized rythm (Legend, Total Recall, Basic Instinct...)

-James Horner : the four-note danger motif (just kidding :P )

-Thomas Newman :delicate piano notes over light strings (The Shawshank Redemption, Cinderella Man)

-John Barry : heavy layers of violins combined with brass instruments (Out of Africa, Dances With Wolves)

-Philip Glass : tense and jerky violins, often combined with piano (The Hours, The Illusionist)

-John Williams : closely-woven themes, often developed in poignant strings or rousing brass instruments (Schindler's List, Star Wars...)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Newton Howard - chord changes featuring beautiful string swells underlined by subtle piano and harp.

You forgot perfect harmony.

If you really want to give their music character:

-Hans Zimmer : Fun

-Jerry Goldsmith : Down to earth

-James Horner : Emotional

-Thomas Newman Neutral

-John Barry : Subtle Grandness

-Philip Glass : Spaztic

-John Williams : Arrogant

Oh come on....you can almost hear the music twirling its moustache! Saying "Hey look at me! I'm fancy music!"

I'm not saying it's a bad thing....

Alan Silvestri - Constant snare drum rhythms and big brassy themes (The Mummy Returns, Eraser, Judge Dredd, Van Helsing, Volcano, Predator, Back to the Future)

Christopher Young - Swirling strings, shrieking woodwinds (The Core, Spider-Man 3, Hard Rain, Murder at 1600)

Trevor Rabin - Choppy strings and electric guitar (Armageddon, Con Air, The 6th Day, Texas Rangers)

Hans Zimmer - Power anthems, brooding male choir-heavy string themes (Crimson Tide, The Peacemaker, The Rock, King Arthur)

John Powell - HAPPY music! :P (Antz, Chicken Run, Rat Race, Shrek, Happy Feet)

Oh come on....you can almost hear the music twirling its moustache! Saying "Hey look at me! I'm fancy music!"

I'm not saying it's a bad thing....

But it is an ill chosen adjective.. Perhaps you should opt for opulent? Grand? Arrogant is a bad thing, and implies an aloofness that I think is unfair in the case of John Williams, especially since he more than most composers is such a careful and considerate dramatist. What composer can score with more restraint than him? What composer underscores dialogue more carefully? Tha fact that his music is better music on its own than most other film music, the fact that he is a far better composer than other film composers, doesn't make his music arrogant.

Your post, however, is arrogant (as is mine).

What composer can score with more restraint than him? What composer underscores dialogue more carefully?

Jerry Goldsmith.

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

But hey there's nothing wrong with being the 2nd greatest film composer in history.

I see a lot of ignorance in this thread.

Well, you have to kind of generalize the composer, so I guess it's "what one kind of music characterizes them best?"

Assuming you meant people were ignorant in their descriptions, that is.

~Sturgis

I'm surprised no one's done Elfman yet...I suppose he'd be best characterized by constantly shifting and unexpected chords under those trademark swirling strings, accented by wordless children's chorus.

Ray Barnsbury