More Hans Zimmer plagiarism?

Eric_JWFAN

Just got back from the midnight showing of The Simpsons Movie. Now maybe it was just late and I was tired, but I could swear there was a pretty clear rip-off of Aaron Copland's Hoe-Down (Rodeo). I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, but during the end credits it was pretty clear to me.

Overall though it was a pretty fun score. The movie was hilarious.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for pete's sake.

This has degenerated into [nerd voice] "Hey guys! Uh the note (I think it's a 328th note...thought it could be a 329th, I'm not too sure my musical genius isn't that refined) around 37 minutes and 6 seconds into the movie played by French Horn coming out of the left speaker is the exact same note played by the French Horn in symphony #21.6 by Obscurato Deadus Composururs on the CD from 1983 coming out of the left speaker."

I count at least 3 different threads on the first page of this forum this worthless discovery could have been put in.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is getting ridiculous and annoying.

Oh for pete's sake.

This has degenerated into [nerd voice] "Hey guys! Uh the note (I think it's a 328th note...thought it could be a 329th, I'm not too sure my musical genius isn't that refined) around 37 minutes and 6 seconds into the movie played by French Horn coming out of the left speaker is the exact same note played by the French Horn in symphony #21.6 by Obscurato Deadus Composururs on the CD from 1983 coming out of the left speaker."

I count at least 3 different threads on the first page of this forum this worthless discovery could have been put in.

Cut me some slack, it's 2:30 in the morning and it was a little late to be searching for relevant threads to attach this to.

You obviously either A. haven't seen the movie, or B. possess the musical ear of a lab rat if you don't think it's an obvious rip-off, err...HOMAGE.

Oh for pete's sake.

Arrogance.

If Alf Clausen would have done it it would have been called a brilliant pastiche.

I concur.

If Williams had done this, it would have been an 'amusing reference'. But no, Zimmer did it, so it's just 'plagiarism'.

If Alf Clausen would have done it it would have been called a brilliant pastiche.

I concur.

If Williams had done this, it would have been an 'amusing reference'. But no, Zimmer did it, so it's just 'plagiarism'.

But this wasn't really a reference.

A parody is okay if you make it clear it's a parody. But if you're just taking 4 measure chunks directly from a 60 year old ballet when the two scenes have nothing in common, that's a little different.

And it's damn good film music. I just got the album and have listened to about 2/3 of it. Nothing at all like Zimmer's usual style, and every statement of the original theme brings a smile to my face :lol: My only complaint is that his orchestral arrangemnt of the theme is 'messier' than the original. All of those little kinks and aspects of the original are barely here, and he's added a little bit to the middle. Minor complaint though, as the rest of the album is superb IMO.

This is the second Zimmer score in a row that's impressed me. He's getting better :P

This is quite ridicules. There is one track that is homage to Copland. The entire track is a homage to Copland. This is nonsense.

This is quite ridicules. There is one track that is homage to Copland. The entire track is a homage to Copland. This is nonsense.

Does the soundtrack have the end credits? I didn't see it on the track list. What particular part are you referring to that you think is the Copland tribute? Can you give me a mins/secs on the track?

Again, I personally didn't see it as an "homage". I just didn't catch the reason WHY he was paying homage to Copland of all people in this particular movie. Maybe I need to see it again when I'm not half asleep.

I concur.

Its what happens when you are in a John Williams fan board.

It happens in all [insert favorite composer here] fan boards.

And this needs a seperate thread, because... ?

- Marc, giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Because I was too tired to search for the original Hans Zimmer is a plagiarist thread. I thought I already explained that in my 2nd post.

Sorry... again.

OK, I ain't gonna start a new thread, not wanting to risk more wrath from other members, but since I'm really interested in this, I'll just ask here. :P

When I received my latest VS Soundtrack Club titles' batch, I noticed an interesting musical quote in F/X by Bill Conti, track 4 - DeFranco. If you listen to the 0:32-1:13 part of that track, it's almost a verbatim quote (even in the same key!) of Conti's For Your Eyes Only score, track 6 - St. Cyril's Monastery, 2:19-3:00. Has anyone else noticed this?

We all now, how fond e. g. Horner is of quoting his own work, but to the best of my knowledge, even he never quoted such a large portion of any self-composed track virtually note-per-note (except for classical composers such as Khachaturian and Bizet), nor have I ever heard it in other composers' work. One exception is that of Pino Donnagio's Seed of Chucky, where he quotes his Carrie, but that is, as mentioned in the liner notes, a joke (as was JW's quote of Yoda's Theme in E.T. and Goldmith's quote of JW's Superman in Supergirl) and was actually suggested by director Don Mancini. (In F/X's liner notes, there's no mention of Conti's self-quoting.)

I want to make some contributions to this thread, off the top of my head, things that have jarred me:

When I listened to The Dueling Club in CoS I heard a direct quote of Jurassic Park.

When I listened to Gilderoy Lockhart's theme in CoS I heard a direct quote of The Last Crusade.

When I heard the Jaws theme I heard Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.

When I heard Death Star/Stormtroopers I heard Psycho.

When I heard the Star Wars Main Titles I heard Holst's The Planets.

When I heard Hedwig's Theme I heard A Halloween Tree and Greensleeves crossed.

When I heard the Droid Invasion I heard The Last Crusade.

When I heard Reaching Country from War of the World I heard Revenge of the Sith.

When I heard Ray and Rachel I heard Seven Years in Tibet.

When I heard The Bespin theme from Empire I heard Superman.

When I heard The Trip to Earth from Superman I heard Star Wars.

When I heard The Intersection Scene I heard The Patriot.

I want to make some contributions to this thread, off the top of my head, things that have jarred me:

When I listened to The Dueling Club in CoS I heard a direct quote of Jurassic Park.

When I listened to Gilderoy Lockhart's theme in CoS I heard a direct quote of The Last Crusade.

When I heard Reaching Country from War of the World I heard Revenge of the Sith.

You could at least have provided us with track names and times.

What you posted is so vague its almost useless...

:D

Nice work anyway.

Now, do it for Media Ventures, oh wait, its just The Rock.

;)

You can do that with practically every composer.

Some are more adept than others at changing things up so it doesn't sound exactly alike.

Now, do it for Media Ventures, oh wait, its just The Rock.

:D

Never gets tiring does it ;)

This 'hearing some other score in this track' happens all the time to me. All it takes is one tiny passage or bar that either melodically or rhythmically bears similarities to another score and that's it - I listen to it about 5 times in a row and search through my music folders, and generally don't stop until I find what it was.

Drives me mad sometimes...

I suggest we convene a council and conduct a witch hunt and eliminate any composer known to reuse any idea.

Only then can we finally enjoy movies and music.

You could at least have provided us with track names and times.

What you posted is so vague its almost useless...

:thumbup:

Nice work anyway.

Hm, cum grano salis I'd say that most, if not all of these examples are more of a cynical joke than real comparisons. ;) Somewhow, I thought that these forums were meant for exchanging and discussing our varied opinions. I apologise if I'm mistaken. :blink:

Hm, cum grano salis I'd say that most, if not all of these examples are more of a cynical joke than real comparisons. :P

No they arent. Those similarities exist.

But he should have been more specific.

Film music tends to work with conventions either classical, popular or film music conventions. There are bound to be similarities in all music one way or the other either intentional or unintentional in relation to some other music. In film music industry temp tracks dictate this sometimes and sometimes the composer is tapping to the general convention of modern human psyche to bring out the desired emotion. We do have a long history of presenting ideas, moods and feelings in music that runs to god knows how far back in human history. Inevitably we have accept that not a single composer in entirely original.

... Or else the point would be lost? I think we all get it without precise track descriptions.

Not really.

Jaws theme similar to Peter and the wolf?

Out of sea is NOT Jaws theme.

Its 'out of sea' theme from the movie Jaws.

Star Wars theme similar to the planets?

Nope, its 'rebel blockade runner' that has a similar ending as Mars.

And so on.

Speaking of the title subject, according to a post over at FSM it appears some sort of action took place concerning the blatant rips of Elliot Goldenthal's music from Titus being used in the film 300.

Apparently a statement of apology is on the official 300 DVD site as well

Jaws theme similar to Peter and the wolf?

You've not heard all of Peter and the Wolf have you?  

Do NOT speak of things thou have no knowledge of.  Fool!

Out of sea is NOT Jaws theme.

No one said it was.  

Its 'out of sea' theme from the movie Jaws.

Ohhh you so bright sir!

Star Wars theme similar to the planets?

Absolutely.

Nope, its 'rebel blockade runner' that has a similar ending as Mars.

Ahaha. The rebel blockade runner has always been part of the Star Wars Main Titles.  That entire segment is the main title for Star Wars, always has been, and it only acquired the title "Rebel Blockade Runner" with the RCA release...even so it's still part of one track. 

Oh and as Luke has so kindly reminded me, not only does the Jaws Theme sound like Peter and the Wolf, but so does the Out to Sea theme. Thanks bud. :P

Oh and as Luke has so kindly reminded me, not only does the Jaws Theme sound like Peter and the Wolf, but so does the Out to Sea theme. Thanks bud. :P

You are welcome.

But i'd prefer not to be called fool...by junior members...

BTW i never read of the Jaws-Peter and the wolf similarity. I had heard others i dont remember but not that.

Well I figured the phrasing of what I said made it come across as a joke....I mean how often do you use THOU when you're being serious?

But if I were really calling you a fool...I don't think junior membership or senior membership would have anything to do with it, being ignorant would. :P

i did scarcely visited the forums on april (and march and may) brcause i didnt have internet :)

But if I were really calling you a fool...I don't think junior membership or senior membership would have anything to do with it, being ignorant would. ;)

I was goint to say a different thing than 'junior member'

But i'm tired of bashing Media ventures :P