RIP Ingmar Bergman

TownerFan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very ashamed to confess I've never seen one singular film of his. I do have the full version of Fanny Och Alexander (300 minutes) on DVD but I'm saving that for a perfect moment. Because of the existential themes of his films, I got a feeling that Bergman and I will click big time.

Alex

I'm very ashamed to confess I've never seen one singular film of his. I do have the full version of Fanny Och Alexander (300 minutes) on DVD but I'm saving that for a perfect moment. Because of the existential themes of his films, I got a feeling that Bergman and I will click big time.

Alex

Same with me. Never seen a film of his, but I do have a feeling that I would connect with them.

I, too, have never seen one of his films, but I was listening to a segment about him today on NPR's Talk of the Nation, and it sounds like he really touched many people. Perhaps I will be able to count myself among them one day. Thanks, Mr. Bergman.

Roger Ebert has on obit on his site...he also has letters from filmmakers about Bergman: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...PEOPLE/70731001.

I found David Mamet's to be quite beautiful:

"When I was young the World Theatre, in Chicago, staged an all-day Ingmar Bergman Festival. I went at ten o'clock in the morning, and stayed all day. When I left the theater it was still light, but my soul was dark, and I did not sleep for years afterwards."

That, along with Cries and Whispers, The Seventh Seal and Persona.

Morlock- who's closest film experience with Bergman is Woody Allen and the parody of the chess game with Death is the second Bill & Ted movie

True, but a few of them have been really good. And two of the less formulaic (also, it should be noted, two film that do not feature Allen), are two terrific film- Bullets Over Broadway and Match Point. And I was not comparing the two.

R.I.P.

There's a new print of The Seventh Seal playing the UK at the moment, I may go and see it (I've never seen the film).

I've seen this one on the big screen few months ago. Along with Wild Strawberries. I love these films. But then again Fanny and Alexander is my total favourite of his.

RIP :huh:

Karol