Any of you out there hate Alien vs. Predator?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen AvP. The original Alien was cool, but every sequel (that I have seen) got progressively worse.

Link's not working.

It's working fine for me. Try using Firefox.

I've seen it a year or so ago (borrowed the DVD) more out of curiosity than sincere interest. Didn't really like it, pretty lame. IMHO, the best thing in that movie was inclusion of Lance Henriksen, to lend a least a bit of continuity and familiarity to the movie.

Of course he's joking!

I agree, the series got worse with each new installment. Scott's Alien said all that was needed to be said. I now also believe this is true for Star Wars.

Be positive, Alex. At least the sequels of these over-extended sagas made us appreciate originals even more, by showing how wrong the concept could go.

That's true, but the negative thing about it all is that the sequels stopped our own 'imagination' simply by showing too much.

Alex

No, Raiders Of The Lost Ark too said all what there was to say. I wish the sequels were never made.

Then ignore them. The sequels never attempted to be Raiders, or to resurrect its spirit. Last Crusade got dangerously close, but it's got a soul, a taste if you will, of its own.

My sentiments exactly when I saw Temple Of Doom, Return Of The Jedi, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Alex

None of those are bad except Alien Resurrection, Alexander.

Oh, you're just no fun.

alexcremmers is acting really old again

So we'd have 2 less Indy scores and 5 less Star Wars scores which have provided us countless hours of enjoyment and a huge part of why were posting here ,but hey,the original movies wouldn't be tarnished..that's more important right?

Age has nothing to do with it. I am very critical of film and music and I always have been. Remember, most of these movies are "old" too.

Ok. Alien is a classic but how can anyone bag out ALIENS. That's a kick ass film and a worthy sequel.

Absolutely. One of my all-time favorites. And it has an outstanding soundtrack. :thumbup:

Aliens was great fun and a worthy sequel, same for Temple Of Doom.

Empire promised so much and was failed by a poor third act.

For whatever reason most sequels fail to capture what made the first film work. Plus there are just some stories that don't need to be told or continued.

Indeed. But there are occaisions when a sequel would be very welcome. Indy is a classic example. In keeping with the serial feel, it NEEDED a sequel. And, so far, it's got two terrific ones, both of which rely on great elements not explored in the first one. Star Wars needed a sequel. The story is a great story, and the material was excellent for 6 films. In this case, only one of them was made well. But that's not the material's fault.

Oh, you're just no fun.

So we'd have 2 less Indy scores and 5 less Star Wars scores which have provided us countless hours of enjoyment and a huge part of why were posting here ,but hey,the original movies wouldn't be tarnished..that's more important right?

Plus, Star Wars is only made richer by the story presented in the sequels and prequels. And I don't think the film as a film is at all hurt by the crapiness of some of the entries.

The sequels made it too rich I'm afraid. They made sure that there's nothing left to the imagination anymore. By milking a concept you destroy the original virtues. Overkill only takes away our fascination. I'm glad there's no The Deer Hunter 2 or a Midnight Cowboy 2 or a Blade Runner 2.

Alex

Better? Sure, if you like lessons in the Force by Kermit The Frog!

It was Miss Piggy, actually. Alec Guiness never stood a chance.

Age has nothing to do with it. I am very critical of film and music and I always have been. Remember, most of these movies are "old" too.

but it makes me mad that you would trade in all those JW scores for having those movies exist without their sequels so they would remain"pure" or whatever..As a JWfan it makes no sense whatsoever.You have a very pretentious way of seeing things sometimes.

I live for the day John Williams will score a new film of my favourite movie franchise,I have no concern how that film might tarnish the previous film's reputation.

I wouldn't mind the other scores Williams would've done if he didn't do all those sequels. Think of it! Instead of Empire, he could've scored Raging Bull or Kramer vs. Kramer or ... The Blue Lagoon!

I wouldn't mind the other scores Williams would've done if he didn't do all those sequels. Think of it! Instead of Empire, he could've scored Raging Bull or Kramer vs. Kramer or ... The Blue Lagoon!

Kramer Vs. Kramer didn't need a score and Raging Bull would have been harmed by one.

And besides, Williams not scoring more films rarely seemed to be because of time.

Okay, then how do you feel about this news?

I think this report from the The Digital Bits is more closer to the truth.

The other major panel I attended at the Con was Warner's big 300/Blade Runner event in Hall H on Friday. That was where Ridley Scott, Syd Mead and several cast members from Blade Runner (Sean Young, Joanna Cassidy, etc) appeared as part of the big DVD announcement push. Ridley answered a number of questions from the audience, and even said that he's open to doing a sequel to the film (though I think he was just telling the crowd what he thought they wanted to hear). Much more interesting was word that Ridley is planning to do another science fiction film, as well as an epic western. Charlie mentioned that he'd shown behind-the-scene video on the Zhora reshoot at our DVD Sneak Peek panel the day before, and here he showed the final version of the scene, complete with the finished effects. The crowd response was very enthusiastic to this, and to all of the Blade Runner DVD news. Of the cast on hand, James Hong and Joe Turkel in particular were very entertaining. The guys are a riot by themselves, and together they're even funnier.

Kramer Vs. Kramer didn't need a score and Raging Bull would have been harmed by one.

And besides, Williams not scoring more films rarely seemed to be because of time.

But ... that still doesn't mean I can't dream about Williams fictitious sensual score for The Blue Lagoon!

Alex